Country music for Europeans ... well guys I'm confused now

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by brogh, Aug 20, 2016.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Ok, maybe I got drawn sideways in the wrong direction, I'm more of a blues/jazz/latin/ stuff guy, but I've always been fascinated by this incredible genre, lap steels and that kind of sound always gave me "the blues".

The thing is, it's really not rooted in culture over here, so I'm having some struggle to understand what to listen to. I have no preconcepts about music, and generally I try to listen to everything even if it's not 100 % of my liking.

So I came over some (modern ) artist like Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Osborne Brothers, Blake Shelton, Sam Hunt for example.. altough there is a certain "country" sound in almost all of the tunes of the guys & girls above, it's really not what I thought Country is, this is Pop music to me, with an all american flavor, which, I Like, some songs are good and catchy.

I love more things like Some tunes that I've heard by Rhonda Vincent but that was more blue grass ( she's impressive, one of the best voices i've ever heard around ), Some things played by Redd Volkaert, like telewacker, or ( forgive me if i say something bad here ) tulsa time is something that i consider "country" altough it's quite modern sounding.

I'm trying to catch up with Merle Haggard, Johhny Cash, Waylon Jennings and all the big names, but I really was looking more to the "modern/new" side of this.

I expected something really different in my imagination.

And here where you Country Boys & Girls come in :)

Can you teach me a bit more ? or suggest.... MUST read books/things, artists to listen to, suggest me some :)

You tube is pointing me in Taylor Swift & friends direction, I've heard some tunes, but I was really not impressed, but this doesnt mean to me she's crap, I just find her really poppish.

So, what do you say guys ? what direction should I Take to better understand what's going on here, I can't listen to the whole US discography from 1900's and on, altough i try to listen to as much as I can.

Thank You !!

Or sell me a house in the US countryside :)

2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Have a look at Search & Recovery, Steve 'n Seagulls and Savannah on YT Euro country style bands that are well worth a look

brogh likes this.
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

A lot of modern country...a LOT...is simply pop, and soft rock.

And that ain't the good stuff.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

And that's the stuff that isn't simply rap, with a banjo.
    You have to really dig to find the stuff that's listenable, but it's out there.

brogh likes this.
  5. HC

HC Tele-Holic

Mark Chesnutt just came out with a record called "Tradition lives". You should check that out.

6. brogh

Hey Mr Lumberg.. well you could have suggested some names, so "quoting you signature", .. I could have been optimized ;):p haha

Lookin into it right now :) thank You !

if it wasn't for steel licks it could as well have been " musica Italiana " :)

@suthol : I'll give a look into it too

7. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Tele-Meister

Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Cory Branan, Steve Earle.

Broadmoor74, Spaceboy, Flakey and 5 others like this.
  8. brogh

Thank You hammerhead !

Hammerhead likes this.
  9. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

I find it hard to give a name to some of the music. Some songs are maybe a bit more poppy and some more folk or southern rock.

turnpike troubadours (some songs are country-ish)
    casey donahew band
    old crow medicine show

wayloncash likes this.
  10. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

There is not a lot of real modern country. Garth brooks and Shania twain really brought pop into country, Shania moreso.
    Chestnut is good. George strait, hank. But don't forget there many subgenres within country, like western, and Don Williams and George strait, to name only 2, incorporate both styles. The USA is a big place and has country everywhere, so country music is a bug genre. George strait incorporates western, the Judd's incorporate bluegrass.

A few more names: Vincent gill, Joe diffey, Alan jackson, travis tritt, Aaron tippin, randy travis, tanya tucker, Kentucky headhunters, alabama. And all put a pop song out at some point. I could go on but this a start.

11. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

I always enjoy a bit of chronological historical study when I delve into a new genre of guitar. With blues i read some great books about it's history and development.

Country is just the same and as a European you'll find you have more in common with country than you realise.

As an English lad with Irish parents, I was brought up listening to my fair share of jigs and reels and now when I listen to Bluegrass and country I feel this familiar affinity that feels more familiar than the blues.

Forget all the modern country garbage coming out of Nashville. It's not country music at all, it's pop music.

There seems to be a fight back now with musicians reclaiming the term 'country music' and trying to steer it back in the right direction.

Go over to YouTube and subscribe to the The Marty Stuart Show.

Keep an eye on the following websites -

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com

http://www.twangnation.com

http://nodepression.com

You'll soon find out there's so much good music out there and you'll find what you like. The internet will bring it right to your speakers in Italy.

Enjoy the trip!

wayloncash, brogh and codamedia like this.
  12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Mo Pitney is a young new artist that it trying to reclaim the country sound. I like what Sturgill Simpson is doing and some of the older acts such as "Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives", Vince Gill w/Paul Franklin, Dwight Yoakam and a few others cling on to a more traditional sound. Other artists that prefer "real country" have just returned to their roots of Bluegass, which IMO - has been a very exciting genre to watch and listen to over the past decade or two.

brogh likes this.
  13. brogh

Hello Guys !

Thank you for the links and suggestions :) I'll check everything out, looks i have a lot to dig here !

thank you very much again !

cheers !

14. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Check out Dale Watson, Marty Stuart, Margo Price, Kacey Musgraves, BR5-49 for starters...

wayloncash, boris bubbanov and brogh like this.
  15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

"We play both kinds of music here:

"Country AND Western!"

Name that movie.

wayloncash and brogh like this.
  16. brogh

The Blues brothers !

17. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

You win!!!

wayloncash likes this.
  18. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Country music BY Europeans...

19. brogh

oh yeah :) well then this will also count :

Honest Charley likes this.
  20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

http://bcrmedia.com/
    That's Shooter Jennings' outfit. Check out the progeny of the country greats; John Carter Cash, Roseanne Cash (recently dropped a primitive country album), Bobby Bare Jr., Lukas Nelson, Hank Williams III.

wayloncash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.