"Country" Harmonica Tuning

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Martin R, Aug 12, 2019.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

You are correct about the 5th hole, not the 6th. Thanks for the correction. Apparently I can't count. Or type.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@PastorJay, I take my hat off to you! Carrying 21 instruments — and knowing which one to play when! — must surely be a sign of a dedicated player. Kudos!!

3. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

AND so now I'm nervous. I'm using several Special 20s and I assumed they were "normal" (non-country) harp tunings. Is that not the case? Or could I opt to buy a "Special 20 in the key of C" OR "buy a Special 20 in the key of C country tuning"? Is there a surefire way to tell?

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that's my point. But I think the answer is they come both ways and you better know what you are getting!

But another question is: HOW DO YOU TELL ONE FROM THE OTHER? ARE THEY MARKED DIFFERENTLY?

5. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

So I just checked Musician's Friend (that paragon of knowledge) and you can indeed order Special 20s in either tuning. It may be worth noting that in the reviews many players indicated there isn't actually a difference (as in there was a quality control problem with shipping a normally-tuned harp as if it were a country-tuned harp).

Martin R likes this.
  6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

The country tuned harp has a little "ct" on the top right hand side of the harp.

Martin R likes this.
  7. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

The country tuned harp has "ct" in small print on the top right hand side of the harp.

schmee likes this.
  8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Didn't know it was such a controversial topic. Good thing I didn't have a banjo question.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.