Country Harmonica Songs??

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Earlier this week, I heard Don Williams’ cover of Townes Van Zandt’s “I’ll Be Here In The Morning”, and it just knocked me out!! I never heard it before in my life!

Don’s voice and all the instruments just coalesced perfectly! Everyone sounds so tight, but what really stood out, to me, was Mickey Raphael’s harmonica parts! So tastefully done!

Then I got to thinking about other country tunes that have harmonica, but I came up empty-handed. An internet search didn’t yield much, so I thought I’d check in with the TDPRI folks.

Post some country songs or videos, old or new, that feature a harmonica part. Bonus points if you know the harp player’s name.

Edit: Please omit Bob Dylan and Neil Young. I got them covered.

Last edited:

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Charlie was a Nashville A team player. He and Terry McMillan were on just about everything from Nashville in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Charlie plays a lot of other instruments too besides harp.

Check out "Larry's Country Diner" for a version of "Cold, Cold Heart". Charlie plays vibes.

I'm sure there's some You Tube stuff with Charlie. Probably covering classics.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
All of Waylon's outlaw records are full of great harmonica. My personal favorite -- the harmonica really adds to the churning, propulsive feel:

Be sure to check out the Honky Tonk Heroes album... Harmonica is a big part of the sound.

How did I miss this one? I listen to Waylon in good doses, but now I realize it’s mostly his older material. Thanks!

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey Stringbanger...here's one example that I've always wanted to know how they did it. So the first 12 bars in 3/4 time are the harmonica. Starting at bar 9 the pitch bends down, holds then bends down again! How the heck?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Far-Side-Harmonica.jpg

Gerolamo

TDPRI Member
Hey Stringbanger, how are you doing? I have messaged you several times over the past 2 years and was wondering all this time what happened and you are posting? Would love to know what has happened...

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
Listened to “The Orange Blossom Special” the other day. It was Johnny Cash’s version. Fiddles aren’t featured, but the harmonica solo is just terrific. The player must be Charlie McCoy, but I am not absolutely sure.