1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Counterfeit PRS Guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by b2187101, Nov 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

I used to wheel and deal on Craigslist, now, in my humble opinion, it is pretty dead due to Facebook Marketplace. I do check it from time to time. Plus Top PRS Customs! I see that they are still everywhere on Craigslist...

Do they make counterfeit PRS guitars? It always perplexed me why there were SO many rare and pricey PRS guitars, and so few Teles or P90 guitars, which are probably more common.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'm seeing clones out there on my CL, but I haven't seen anyone trying to pass one off as a real PRS.

3. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

They usually are shown in an open case, with case candy... all of which could be counterfeit. Prices are usually $1-3 K for these!!! Could they be a bunch of rich yuppy guys buying the best... not knowing how to play... then selling them off? Perhaps.

4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

They sell PRS copy kits from China. I have two of them here. That's not a counterfeit it's a DIY kit. BUT I am sure that the same factory turning out the parts has someone finishing them and selling them. They are close enough that I could do it (But I AM NOT)

I just thought it would be nice to build a similar guitar with all the hardware and electronics I want. PRS guitars are to expensive to buy and mod.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You'll find more telecasters once you realize that normal guitars are listed as "Les Paul GUITAR for sale" while Telecasters are listed as "Telecaster for sale" or even "Tele for sale" -- never a "guitar". Why is that? Dunno, unless Telecasters are just special enough for those 'in the know' to realize they are more than a regular old guitar, Teles are something special. You need the secret handshake and codes to access the higher art of playing a Tele.

Use this search term in your CL locator bar, without the quotes: "( guitar | tele | telecaster )"

They make a lot of PRS copies ... but most of them just copy PRS but use their own headstock logo. Example is poke around in Harley Benton models and you'll find a few that have the PRS bling but for $200 new retail.

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Go to dhgate and search for prs guitar. The place is rife with fakes.

Allenjason95 and Deaf Eddie like this.
  7. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

Does the “kit” say “PRS” on the headstock?

8. Allenjason95

I’m not into PRS but since there are ghetto counterfeits of every other high end guitar I’m sure there are.

I don’t get why people want a brand name so badly on their headstock that they’ll buy counterfeits. We’re spoiled for cheap LEGAL guitars right now but people will still deal with shady counterfeiters halfway around the world so their headstock will have a brand name on it.

9. Allenjason95

They’re not “clones”, they’re counterfeits.

I don’t pay attention to PRS but I see counterfeit Gibson and Fenders being sold as the real thing often.

last I checked EBay won’t even take them down unless the manufacturer themselves contact EBay. Which means if you see a counterfeit Gibson on EBay you have to contact Gibson and have them tell EBay or EBay will leave it up and EBay claims to not allow counterfeit items to be sold on their site.

As bad as the counterfeiters are I put more blame on the idiots buying the counterfeits instead of a legal guitar.

10. Allenjason95

I think it’s just the Les Paul name has more cache and there’s a million copies of it, legal and counterfeit, out there. The “Les Paul” name is also probably more familiar to people unfamiliar with guitars in general. Kind of like how everyone knows “Rolex”, “Scotch Tape” and “Band Aid”.

I do see “Telecaster style guitar” used in ads and descriptions fairly often BTW.

11. Allenjason95

I still find stuff on my local CL, in the past year or so I’ve bought a Squier 51, a Silvertone 1482, a purple cymbal (I don’t have it to look at but used ones were going for $150-200 on EBay and I paid $50 for mine).

I probably buy just as much off of FBMP though. I live in a large city so there’s always stuff out there but for great deals you pretty much have to see it the second it’s put up or it’s gone.

last week I saw a 60’s Fender Deluxe Reverb for $250, it was in rough shape and needed “restored”. I also saw a Vox tube amp earlier this year for $150, I can’t recall the exact model but they were going for $600 on Reverb/Ebay. Of course was gone by the time I contacted the seller.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yes they do make knock offs , I will not buy a guitar online unless i can verify its legitimacy first , research before you buy , know what to look for or you may get burnt

13. Allenjason95

I’ve always seen PRS as more of a yuppie guitar. I’ve been to a million local shows (mostly rock) and I’ve seen a million kinds of guitars but as far as I can remember I’ve never seen a PRS used at a local show.

They look more like they should be hanging in a dentist’s office wall to show he “plays hard” too than a guitar a person in an actual
    Band would play.

Doorlord likes this.
  14. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

They are no counterfeit PRS guitars. It just looks that way because people buy them then remember Smooth with Rob Thomas, come to their senses and want to get rid of the damn things.

heffus likes this.
  15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Every now and then we have to remind ourselves of this rule:

FRAUDULENT PRODUCTS:
    Do not post about buying. selling or finding trademarked items such as counterfeit guitars, guitar products or decals. Nor may you post links to any such counterfeit goods. This creates legal issues for our website and we do not wish to promote these illegal items on our sites.

Thread locked

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.