Count Basie - One O’Clock Jump

greenhornet

Tele-Meister
My intro to Wardell was the Proper Box Set which I practically wore out listening to. One of the greatest, most underrated jazz players ever. Thanks for posting these. This is what I listen to, besides classical music (jazz is American classical music!): Monk, Bird, Miles, Stan Getz, Duke... Just sheer joy!

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Everybody talks about New Orleans but jazz is really born in KC and the South west. The Basie band swung like a mutha at every phase. Charlie Christian came out of the southwest. Bird. Lester Young. Wardell. There was something really cool that came out of the Southwest, and if you want to mix genres you'd have to place Western Swing in the same region

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Everybody talks about New Orleans but jazz is really born in KC and the South west. The Basie band swung like a mutha at every phase. Charlie Christian came out of the southwest. Bird. Lester Young. Wardell. There was something really cool that came out of the Southwest, and if you want to mix genres you'd have to place Western Swing in the same region
Eldon Shamblin and Charlie Christian came up in Oklahoma City at the same time.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Barney Kessel was born in Muskogee.
The list of jazz musicians who were natives of Oklahoma or who played there is long. Oklahoma natives include Chet Baker, Jay McShann, Lowell Fulson, Jimmy Rushing, Don Cherry, and singer Lee Wiley. Check out this article about the Oklahoma City Blue Devils, which included Basie, Jimmy Rushing and Fletcher Henderson, which became the core of the Basie band in Kansas City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_Blue_Devils