Could you own a big dog like a Caucasion Shepard?

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Those are working dogs....livestock guardians. And loving pets I presume....but not easy, and not what they are meant and bred to do. Try a doberman, or even an old fashioned German shepherd if you want a regulation-sized guard dog.
Yea, this is just a celebration of the dog. They're pretty darn expensive and not the best for my place full of guitars and 2 old cats 19 and 21.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Those are working dogs....livestock guardians. And loving pets I presume....but not easy, and not what they are meant and bred to do. Try a doberman, or even an old fashioned German shepherd if you want a regulation-sized guard dog.
They are not the easiest to train they say. And I believe they drool. Plus they'll kill any friends you have that come visit you.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Check your home-owner's insurance. Nowadays you won't have liability coverage or you'll pay higher premiums if you own certain large breeds. Any dog can bite, and little dogs can severely wound little kids' faces when they engage in fear aggression. But a big dog can kill a grown man, and sometimes they do. The dogs in this case were Presa Canarios, which are a breed of mastiff.

According to HomeInsurance.org, “Dog breeds that are typically associated with higher insurance premiums include Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, Akitas, and wolf-dog hybrids.” Forbes.com adds Chows, Great Danes, Presa Canarios, and Alaskan Malamutes to their list.

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
I'd like a few Irish wolf hounds.

And when that day comes and I am completely living in a cartoon, some Egyptian hairless cats. (Edit: they're not Egyptian, they were first bred in the 1960s in Canada.)

Shepherd on the left, wolf hound on the right

SmartSelect_20220627-192659_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
I've owned Newfoundlands for about a quarter of a century now. We're on our fifth and six, males from the same litter (twins!), that are a little over a year old. They are our favorite breed.

(A few weeks ago, there was somebody from a rescue org on NBC's "Today" saying that big breeds are big breeds and small breeds are small breeds. There are no inherent personality differences. What a bunch of b.s. I suspect he was lying in an effort to get people to just adopt, adopt, adopt.)
View attachment 998500
Newfs don't really slobber as much as advertised. What they do is drink a lot of water, and after they drink, their muzzles are quite gooby. And, yeah, they'll shake their heads and the spit will fly.

As for their longevity... Our first and fourth Newfs died of cancer at about five and a half. Our middle two lived to be 12. I think they tend to live longer than, say, Great Danes.

We also have another giant breed dog. He's half Anatolian Shepherd and half Pyrenese Mountain dog (like a bleached out Newf with a more narrow snout), but looks 100% Anatolian.

View attachment 998501

On top of that, we have a Basset, which has short legs but is a large breed dog, and a classic small white dog. For awhile, we also had a Siberian Husky, which turned me into a Husky hater.

View attachment 998502

View attachment 998503

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I love the Caucasion Shepard, but no way could I come close to providing what it needs. Or maybe a Kangal, less work than a CS but still a giant dog. Take it down a notch to a Rottweiler or?

Could you own one?

Caucasian Shepard
]https://images.app.goo.gl/GPMsj4baHNqDKh3S7[/URL]
No problem. I've got a pretty big Dogue de Bordeaux aka French Mastiff right now. She weighs right at 130 lbs and is 3 yrs old. They're a giant breed, also.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Would you put them together?

Not if they were both already full grown, like if I were going to attempt to rescue one. I'd take the Shepherd as long as it was a puppy and I could raise it around my Mastiff. Otherwise, they won't get along.

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
My current dog is an 80lb White German Shepherd. If I outlive her (she's almost 10 so I probably will) I'll never have another big dog again I don't believe. For sure I won't have another super hairy one.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
It's the Jack Russell life for me. Big dogs = big mounds, and many other things that are just more difficult to manage with a furry roommate or two. I'm a big guy and I love my little dogs.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
And then there is the Kangal
Strongest bite force with over 700lbs.

"]https://images.app.goo.gl/8DMpbrPviP6pBPWk6[/URL]
Farm near Albuquerque uses them, incredible dogs.

As far as relative size of big dogs’ number twos… doesn’t matter to me, the Bully poops the same number of times as our terrier did. It’s not like I’m touching or storing it.

Food is for sure a consideration. Big gal gets 12-16oz of raw meat twice a day against some presoaked no-grain/corn kibble. I’d put her grocery bill at about $300/mo conservatively.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
I could live with one

Own is such a strong word

Best friend I had as a kid was a Rottweiler / Shar Pei

He was about 95 lbs of muscle

The more people I meet the more I appreciate a good dog.