Could you own a big dog like a Caucasion Shepard?

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Holy Moly - I wouldn't - I love big dogs - but don't like caring for them - I can barely take care of my Cats at this point.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Long ago, a dog was just kind of around. We used to have big dogs then. Now dogs live in the house with you they have to have a license, health care, go to school, and be groomed every other week. They need a highchair to sit in to eat at the table, and sleep in your bed, and it better be a KING sized bed if you want to get any sleep. So, no big dogs for me now.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I love the Caucasion Shepard, but no way could I come close to providing what it needs. Or maybe a Kangal, less work than a CS but still a giant dog. Take it down a notch to a Rottweiler or?

Could you own one?

Caucasian Shepard
]https://images.app.goo.gl/GPMsj4baHNqDKh3S7[/URL]
Wow! That is one big beautiful puppy!
But too big for us.
As it is, we have a big enough yellow lab in our apartment, and our son ( it's his place) takes care of her, walks her. I have back issues- pain!

Would love to just meet to meet the BIG dog, though

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, we have a Bullmastiff, 110-lb female. Not for novice owners, but much easier to deal with than many/most small dogs I've known. Our Jack Russell (RIP) for instance.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
That is freaking massive. Beautiful and massive.

As large as I’d like to go would be a Golden Retriever. Actually something in the 20-30 pound range is ideal for me

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Too big for me, I much prefer little doggies. Although, I'm sure many would love dogs that size.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful dog, but I'll stick with my Pomeranian. I don't think I want to live with a dog, or a wife, that can likely whip my butt. Plus we travel with the dog a lot, and big dogs have big poop that has to be scooped.

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
A guy down the street from me has a caucasian shephard.
thing was massive at 8 weeks old.
now its a monster.
pretty relaxed, its still only a couple years old and it mostly just sits around like its 70 year disabled owner.

not for me though, too much hair.
you should see this guys house and car lol

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When I think of a big dog, I think of:

1656366097559.png

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
My brother had consecutive Newfoundlands in the 160-lb. range. Beautiful dogs, wonderful disposition, but way too slobbery and sheddy for me. Plus, they don't live too long.

I've owned Newfoundlands for about a quarter of a century now. We're on our fifth and six, males from the same litter (twins!), that are a little over a year old. They are our favorite breed.

(A few weeks ago, there was somebody from a rescue org on NBC's "Today" saying that big breeds are big breeds and small breeds are small breeds. There are no inherent personality differences. What a bunch of b.s. I suspect he was lying in an effort to get people to just adopt, adopt, adopt.)
Mac and Duke.jpg

Newfs don't really slobber as much as advertised. What they do is drink a lot of water, and after they drink, their muzzles are quite gooby. And, yeah, they'll shake their heads and the spit will fly.

As for their longevity... Our first and fourth Newfs died of cancer at about five and a half. Our middle two lived to be 12. I think they tend to live longer than, say, Great Danes.

We also have another giant breed dog. He's half Anatolian Shepherd and half Great Pyrenees (like a bleached-out Newf with a more narrow snout), but looks 100% Anatolian.

Zeus 1.jpg

On top of that, we have a Basset, which has short legs but is a large breed dog, and a classic small white dog. For awhile, we also had a Siberian Husky, which turned me into a Husky hater.

Clarence 1.jpg

Dolly.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Those are working dogs....livestock guardians. And loving pets I presume....but not easy, and not what they are meant and bred to do. Try a doberman, or even an old fashioned German shepherd if you want a regulation-sized guard dog.