Could you make it on a real cattle drive?

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Let's go back a bit further in our human history....back when we were still hunter/gatherers. When humans would walk over snow covered mountains with animal skins on their feet and bodies....with arrow wounds and fractured bones....without ready made shelters that they could look forward to....without food that was dried and preserved. When literally everthing you had you made. None of them sissy cow herding cowboys would last a day living like our ancestors did. It's hard to believe that's what we modern folks came from. I reckon a 6 year old blind girl from that era coulda whooped any of the toughest MMA fighters that we hold up as tough guys today. They would barely recognize us a being of the same species.

So, my answer is 'NO'....I would not go on a cattle drive. Several hours into the first day I would slide off my horse and curl up on the ground, whimpering like a big baby asking for someone to take me back home....and I'd probably need a diaper change.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Let's go back a bit further in our human history....back when we were still hunter/gatherers. When humans would walk over snow covered mountains with animal skins on their feet and bodies....with arrow wounds and fractured bones....without ready made shelters that they could look forward to....without food that was dried and preserved. When literally everthing you had you made. None of them sissy cow herding cowboys would last a day living like our ancestors did. It's hard to believe that's what we modern folks came from. I reckon a 6 year old blind girl from that era coulda whooped any of the toughest MMA fighters that we hold up as tough guys today. They would barely recognize us a being of the same species.

So, my answer is 'NO'....I would not go on a cattle drive. Several hours into the first day I would slide off my horse and curl up on the ground, whimpering like a big baby asking for someone to take me back home....and I'd probably need a diaper change.
Your ancestors would be SO proud of you! ;)

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Them cuties back there in Arkie had the same kind of bathroom arrangements we did. I noticed right off when we landed in California almost EVERYONE smelled better. When my momma would go to prodding my stepdad to take a bath in a washtub back there in Arkansas, he would whine, it's only been three weeks or so since I had a bath. Besides, I ain't done nothin' to get dirty! Taking a bath in a galvanized tub is not quite like hitting the shower.

By the time I was born in 1956, outhouses were a quaint novelty, not something people had to live with.

But I do remember when people didn't smell very good.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
By the time I was born in 1956, outhouses were a quaint novelty, not something people had to live with.

But I do remember when people didn't smell very good.
When I lived outside of Boles in 1956, almost everyone had an outhouse on their place. Most still carried water from the well into the house. We had a tube well, and one of those long skinny buckets that leaked water almost faster than you could pull it up and pour it into the bucket you carried into the house.

At the school that I attended, a combination Jr. High, and High school, we had Gym everyday. They had showers there, and I took advantage of them every day!

I'm well aware that the Arkansas I lived in is long gone. Everyone I know in Arkansas has a nice house, and a nice car, and most of the time, a nice big 4WD truck. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law live on a beautiful 3.5 acre spread. My daughter visited them this summer, now she's going back in the fall!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
And a couple of slightly drunken dads hiding by the trail making bear noises. Even better when the generator ran out of gas and you couldn’t find the house.

Ya'll must have been rich folks, we had an old Studebaker pickup truck, but I didn't even know they made generators when I lived in Arkansas.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Could you make it on a real cattle drive, herding cows, living without a bathroom, shower, what we call the necessities of life? When I was a hound hunter, I would spend days in the mountains alone with a sleeping bag, coffee pot, and skillet, and basic grub. I'm too old for that kind of life now, but I can't imagine wearing the same clothes for months and living on beans and maybe some rancid beacon. You think a guy who's done a lot of crop-dusting in cargoes smells bad, what about a guy whose been sitting a horse all day for three months? Could you make it? Me? Not a chance. I'd have to drag my king-sized bed behind my horse to even think about it.
Nah. Ain’t a steak in the world worth all of that nonsense.

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Could you make it on a real cattle drive, herding cows, living without a bathroom, shower, what we call the necessities of life? When I was a hound hunter, I would spend days in the mountains alone with a sleeping bag, coffee pot, and skillet, and basic grub. I'm too old for that kind of life now, but I can't imagine wearing the same clothes for months and living on beans and maybe some rancid beacon. You think a guy who's done a lot of crop-dusting in cargoes smells bad, what about a guy whose been sitting a horse all day for three months? Could you make it? Me? Not a chance. I'd have to drag my king-sized bed behind my horse to even think about it.
I have a friend from Kasachstan who moved to Germany with his family about 15 years ago. In his previous life, they lived in a small village in the Steppe regions. Young men would be required to ride their horse out to remote cabins, where they'd live alone for months with their rifle and dogs, hunting every day and prepping and storing meat for the the village in the winter.

He did it three times, three consecutive years, and after he told me the story, I asked him why in the world he would want to leave that life and come work on a production line in Germany. He was asking himself the same thing.

download.jpeg

mystichands

Tele-Meister
I live between several high mountain cattle operations in NW Colorado. When they “drive” cattle nowadays, it’s a get together activity where people who don’t normally do this kind of thing all get on horseback and slowly push the cows wherever they’re moving them to. I’ve done it a couple times, it ain’t like Rawhide. You gotta be chill, you gotta hang back, or the cows will all scatter. The one thing you can’t do is yell and scream and gallop around. I saw them moving about 60 head just last week. Of course some guys just ride a 4 wheeler if no one’s around. It’s kind of a let’s get back to the old west thing.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I live between several high mountain cattle operations in NW Colorado. When they “drive” cattle nowadays, it’s a get together activity where people who don’t normally do this kind of thing all get on horseback and slowly push the cows wherever they’re moving them to. I’ve done it a couple times, it ain’t like Rawhide. You gotta be chill, you gotta hang back, or the cows will all scatter. The one thing you can’t do is yell and scream and gallop around. I saw them moving about 60 head just last week. Of course some guys just ride a 4 wheeler if no one’s around. It’s kind of a let’s get back to the old west thing.
oh how I miss the sleepy cat ranch for dinner... what a great place that was!

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted

2s99vy.jpg