Could you make it on a real cattle drive?

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Could you make it on a real cattle drive, herding cows, living without a bathroom, shower, what we call the necessities of life? When I was a hound hunter, I would spend days in the mountains alone with a sleeping bag, coffee pot, and skillet, and basic grub. I'm too old for that kind of life now, but I can't imagine wearing the same clothes for months and living on beans and maybe some rancid beacon. You think a guy who's done a lot of crop-dusting in cargoes smells bad, what about a guy whose been sitting a horse all day for three months? Could you make it? Me? Not a chance. I'd have to drag my king-sized bed behind my horse to even think about it.

Hail Yes! I been a practicing! So obviously, I’m a ready!

83F73D2A-295F-4DBE-886B-1AF282955A50.gif

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Until you get the hang of riding, the damage done to your rear end from a daylight to dark session on horseback has to be experienced to be believed. I have ridden enough to know I NEVER wanted to ride recreationally. My brother-in-law was always trying to "rope" me into calf roping which he did for many years, I never went with it, and am glad I didn't.
4DE7705F-C3D4-4BA9-9A39-A62ACC02BC2D.gif

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I do get the appeal though.
I loved those books as a kid, too
View attachment 1014336

I must have read that a few times, because that cover just made me flashback to summer vacation on the farm.

I think I could do a cattle drive. I can ride a horse, though I prefer motorcycles, and I like skipping showers and sleeping on the ground for months at a time. Usually there's some steak and lobster somewhere. But I'm really just in it for the steel guitar.
When do we break out our pedal steels? Is it every night, or just on weekends?

buddy-emmons-getty-8ae8d0e4c35b91e4211c3580075798697f4a5fa5-s1100-c50.jpg

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Could you make it on a real cattle drive, herding cows, living without a bathroom, shower, what we call the necessities of life? When I was a hound hunter, I would spend days in the mountains alone with a sleeping bag, coffee pot, and skillet, and basic grub. I'm too old for that kind of life now, but I can't imagine wearing the same clothes for months and living on beans and maybe some rancid beacon. You think a guy who's done a lot of crop-dusting in cargoes smells bad, what about a guy whose been sitting a horse all day for three months? Could you make it? Me? Not a chance. I'd have to drag my king-sized bed behind my horse to even think about it.
what a horrible idea. there's no, internet or outlets to plug the espresso machine into what about cable and stuff ?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Most cowboys were just that - BOYS of 16 to 20. A lot of 'em were raw-boned ranch kids or young men who were fleeing an abusive homelife and striking out on their own. Remember how you thought you were 10 feet tall and bulletproof back then?

When my oldest was 16, he spent the summer at Scout Camp teaching 6 merit badges. He slept in a canvas wall tent that the army threw out between world wars. Showered in the open air. Drank out of a canteen and ate whatever gruel the mess hall was serving. And loved every minute of it.

The 63-year-old me likes the heated seats in my Colorado pickup and the convenience of handicapped parking spaces, so no, I wouldn't dream of signing up for that today. However, when I was 16 ...

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
We didn't own any cattle growing up, but I did work on a horse ranch and ran the riding trails at Fort Robinson State Park one Summer after my junior year in high school. I don't ride much any more, but I can sit a horse just fine. I also graduated several survival schools in the Marines (Arctic, Desert, Jungle, Mountain) so I have the knowledge to do anything out in the elements.

That said, the one thing that you must have (I don't these days) is the desire and determination to do it. I have become soft and prefer indoor plumbing too much to venture out like that.

I stopped taking plumbing for granted when living in a remote ice camp above the Arctic Circle in Norway. The first time you have to crawl out of a warm sleeping bag, walk 40 yards in the snow, perch atop a makeshift toilet built out of a wood crate, and making certain that you time it just right so that you don't end up frozen to the box.....well, you see the value in indoor plumbing.

smoothrecluse

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
After living through Texas Panhandle dust storms and hail storms, there’s no way I’d sign up for months on end.

Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite books, and it does a pretty good job of taking the glamour off of cattle drives.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
and making certain that you time it just right so that you don't end up frozen to the box.....well, you see the value in indoor plumbing.

Man I can kind of relate to this, having had the wonderful experience of an out house, in the middle of winter -10 deg etc. when I was a kid, and nothing but newspaper for insulation. You betcha.... it's a real cold seat, that's for sure. To sit on it in those temps... well.... that something you just sorta have to experience in order to gain that skillset ;)

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
45 days in Morocco, no shower..... no problem when you surf...;)

a bit of a fresh water splash now and then on the pits and bits and to get the salt out of your hair....

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 8