Could you make it on a real cattle drive?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Could you make it on a real cattle drive, herding cows, living without a bathroom, shower, what we call the necessities of life? When I was a hound hunter, I would spend days in the mountains alone with a sleeping bag, coffee pot, and skillet, and basic grub. I'm too old for that kind of life now, but I can't imagine wearing the same clothes for months and living on beans and maybe some rancid beacon. You think a guy who's done a lot of crop-dusting in cargoes smells bad, what about a guy whose been sitting a horse all day for three months? Could you make it? Me? Not a chance. I'd have to drag my king-sized bed behind my horse to even think about it.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A central theme or point in a recent acclaimed “western” (that TD should absolutely not see) ,the power of the dog, was Benedict Cumberbatch’s stank.

He was or rather, he thought he was, a hard-core cowboy and he refused to bathe even though he lived in a grand ranch house and slept in a comfortable bed most nights.

But he did go out on drives and of course he didn’t bathe then either.

I liked the movie because I like oddball westerns but I sure as hell didn’t like his character in it. Maybe that was the point

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Yes, until about my early 40s. Now, closing in on 50, no. I’ve aged 10 years in the past 5.

I still try my best not to shower on weekends.

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
Yes, grew up in rural area working on family farms. Would I want to, no. The outdoor parts not what bothers me, days of stinking cattle, and horseback riding does.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Having played in a rock and roll band, and being just week end players i would say no. sleeping 5 people in a car, with a drug addict, 2 alcoholics -me being of them- and so on, it is only funny when you think about it. And even now....

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thankfully the expansion of the railroads made all this unnecessary. The legend of the big cattle drive is a vastly overrated part of the American expansion. It really only existed for two or three decades, from the end of the Civil War until the railroads came. But TV and movies latched onto it as though it were a sacred American tradition.

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
As an aside lots of my friends prefer to use horses for thier annual round ups. Does not spook the cattle as much as 4 wheelers, or side by sides. Twice a year rounding up cattle is a chore, but most cattleman I know love the lifestyle. Too much chance for me to make a living at it. When its good (right now in our area) it can be very rewarding. When its bad you can lose everything.

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
I've done it before.

1659895916329.png

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Thankfully the expansion of the railroads made all this unnecessary. The legend of the big cattle drive is a vastly overrated part of the American expansion. It really only existed for two or three decades, from the end of the Civil War until the railroads came. But TV and movies latched onto it as though it were a sacred American tradition.

They still have cattle drives around the Glennville California area, and probably other places, but Glennville for sure. They aren't a big deal, only a few days, but it's real cowboying.