1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use some Pathfinder 15R pre-purchase advice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by postjob62, Oct 9, 2012.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Having a 2nd PF15R around can come in handy for more than just a backup. If the venue/audience of a gig is larger, I use an ABY box and play through both of mine, setting them up on either side of the stage/staging area. Moves a bit more air, spreads the sound, and carries better. Playing through two PF15Rs at once also allows you to have different settings on the amps and/or to toggle between them.

Played this way at a 4th of July party for a large church, noisy crowd of 200+ eating in the fellowship hall. The setup worked great. The Pathfinders weren't mic'ed into the PA, they played straight to the room, and were sufficient to the task.

The Reverb on my brown grill cloth is stronger than on the black one. I don't know if it's because the black one is older and therefore weaker, or if there were issues to begin with, but the brown has a bit better Reverb.

2. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

Love my Pathfinder 15R, incredible value for the $$. I find the reverb completely unuseable though, but I have/use reverb/delay pedals.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, that settles it for me. Thanks for that info/link, Trout.

Hmmm...something else must be going on with the serial numbers. On my Vox PF15R black grill cloth (MiK=Made in Korea), the serial # is 022413. As for my Vox PF15R brown grill cloth (MiV=Made in Vietnam), the serial # is 069742.

4. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

This is my first post here after religiously perusing this site for the past three months. I, too, am in the same boat as the OP. I have just been really getting back into guitar after a 4 year hiatus. I have been looking for a nice little bedroom/practice amp for Christmas. I had it narrowed down to the Fender Frontman 25R until the other day when I stumbled upon the PF15R. After seeing all of the love for this amp and watching YouTube videos of its performance, I believe I have changed my mind.

With that said, my only concern is the boost function. Multiple people have said that the volume is much louder than the clean channel once engaged. Does this make the boost function unusable? Is there any way to work around this issue? I do not own any pedals but would definitely be willing to buy one to make up for this. I am very interested in buying the VL Sparkle Drive, OCD, or Little Big Muff. Should I buy a separate pedal or find a way to make the boost channel on the amp work for me with the optional Vox footswitch? I would prefer to limit the amount of my I spend but if the best route is to buy an OD pedal, I will do that. Thanks for the help!

5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I leave the boost on as described in the thread. Yes, it does really kick up volume so I adjust amp gain & volume for 'max' volume stuff such as some leads, volume sweeps, etc and throttle back the guitar for most rhythm work. I use a lot more gain than volume in settings where everybody else is 'clean' to add dynamics. I play a Tele so the tone knob is a big help too in 'cleaning things up' and other stuff.

So...huge volume & gain boost when I want it with a turn of my guitar vol knob.

I should add that I play my PJ etc the same way (dialed as loud as the venue will need) & adjust from the guitar. So this is 'old school', it's just that the PF-R is very versatile and gives a thick tone at much lower volume than my tube stuff w/o a pedal.

6. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I would easily choose the Pathfinder over the Frontman. I've had both, and the Pathfinder is superior for my uses. Also it doesn't rattle when turned up a little.

7. stantonmanton

Sounds like I am making the right choice in putting the Pathfinder on my Christmas wish list. I also plan on putting the two channel Vox footswitch on there as well. Any suggestions on an OD pedal that really works well with the Pathfinder? I really dig both the Fulltone OCD and the VL Sparkle Drive. What is everybody else using?

8. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use my Pathfinder for rehearsals. Currently I really like my Les Lius in front of it. Much better IMHO than using the Gain Boost button.

9. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I'd use the Pro junior for dirt and the Pathfinder for clean. They both weight the same, easy to carry.

10. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

get ready to have a great and durable solid state.

that's my best advice.

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

CMAT MODS Signa Drive

12. stantonmanton

I have heard nothing but great things about the Signa Drive. How crunchy can it go exactly? Would I need to buy an additional distortion pedal if I wanted to play some slightly heavier rock?

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Distortion is a very personal taste but the Signa Drive is pretty adjustable. I would say you would be good with "slightly heavier rock". There are some great YouTube demos with single coil and humbuckers through the Signa Drive. That should give you a good idea of the territory it covers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.