1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use some Pathfinder 15R pre-purchase advice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by postjob62, Oct 9, 2012.

1. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

^^^^ This. Actually, Controller summed it up pretty nicely with his last comment. A brand new Pathfinder 15R costs less than many pedals - easily my best value gear purchase!

2. postjob62

postjob62 Tele-Holic

By the way the pics of all the new ones do seem to show a black grill. I'd actually prefer brown like everyone says but whatever is OK.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

^^^ Black-grill Pathfinders (like mine;)) kick ass!

My buddy has a brown one and IMO they both rock! I know these are SS amps, but it is just fun having a great looking and sounding 'Baby VOX' to play w/o the weight(and $$) of the real thing.

4. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Good deal, postjob62.

One thing I noticed with the two that I own is that speaker break-in really improves the sound of the P15R and it takes about 10-20 hours of playing time.

Enjoy!

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats, postjob62. I agree, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Pathfinder shipped to your door for $107.10.

Even when you spring for the 2-button footswitch, the total price still is more in the range of an effects pedal. And for the money, it's just a great amp and a great deal.

6. LGOberean

Well, when it comes to the chronology of PF15Rs in relationship to the color of the grill cloth, I really don't know what to think any more.

As I've said here (and over in the Pathfinder Club thread), I have two. The first I bought at a local pawn shop (used, of course) in February of 2011. Showed some wear and tear, nothing too extensive, just cosmetic wear. I have no idea how old it is. It has the black grill cloth, not the brown, but I don't know if that helps to date it.

Then about 5 months ago, I bought another PF15R, this time off of eBay. It was an open box/damaged box purchase, scuffed up box, but inside it, the amp was still protected by those cardboard corners and wrapped in plastic, with the manual sealed in plastic. Not a mark on the amp anywhere, and it plays perfectly. Oh, and brown grill cloth.

For a while, it seemed that the new ones had the brown grill cloth. And that tracks with Sasz' experience of a new one with brown grill cloth. Lately, though, pics of new PF15Rs online (Sweetwater.com, MF, GC, etc.) seem to consistently show black grill cloth.

I know the PF15R model dates back about a decade, give or take. I had earlier gotten the impression that black was older, brown newer. Now I don't know what to think.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I prefer the brown. But the black doesn't look bad to me, just not quite as good as the brown. In the end, if it gives me the tones and textures I've come to love from a Pathfinder, I'll be a happy camper. And I probably will buy another one somewhere down the road.

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

+1 here. Had mine for 18mos now and it sounds awesome. I even used it to record bass to great effect. Gig 'er whenever I can. Yeahhhh Boooyyy!

8. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Tele-Meister

Lots of love here for the 15r. I swapped out the stock speaker for a Weber 8" Blue Pup and think it is a (small) improvement. It seems to hold together better when driven.

A couple days ago I ran the 15r into a cab loaded with a Celestion Blue...it just killed - I can't get over it really.

9. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had a similar experience. Installed a Weber Blue Pup in it as the stock speaker when driven kept farting out on me. When connected to my 2x12 cab, the Pathfinder sounded steller!

10. postjob62

postjob62 Tele-Holic

OK, I'm the OP and my Pathfinder 15R arrived OK today in spite of MF's best attempts to imitate blind chimps when packing it.

Two quick comments:

1. Contrary to all the pictures shown in online sales ads the grill cloth is indeed brown-it looks great!

2. This is the most fun I've had for $100. since my first trip to Vegas in the early '70s!

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

.........and you WILL hear an improvement when that little Bulldog speaker breaks in!

Also, sometime try the boost setup I mentioned in post #13.........

You're right - the P15R is so much fun - sounds bigger than it is, sounds very tubelike but it's not, very basic but better sounding than a whole bunch of bigger and pricier amps IMO, and so inexpensive it's almost silly.

12. slowlearner78

slowlearner78 Tele-Meister

This. I pretty much keep the boost engaged all the time, dime the volume, and use the gain to control volume/loudness.

My only humbucker guitar has some odd variety of stacked humbucker in a p90 case, so it may not be the best measuring stick, but it does well through the 15r, though definitely not as well as single coils. As another poster mentioned, this is what I expect out of Vox.

Bottom line, at $120, I think it's difficult to go wrong with one of these.

13. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

+1 on the boost button thing. Thought I'd never use it until a guy here passed on that suggestion, and he was right. Just did a gig with the PF-R and yeah, it works. Kinda like running a PJ or whatever cranked & controlling with guitar, but much lower volume if needed.

Dig it, a ridiculous amp for the $.

Attached Files:

14. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that was me :lol: :lol: ............ I remember posting that shortly after I discovered it and that you liked it too!!!

15. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I love my Pathfinder 15 R.
    Sounds like Vox's version of a Blackface Champ yet even more chime.
    I use it to play with the band I'm in. Light in weight, superb tone!

16. LGOberean

Thanks for letting us know that. Personally, I'm glad to hear it. As I've said, I have two already, but I'm seriously considering getting another somewhere down the road.

17. postjob62

postjob62 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I'm honestly thinking about grabbing another one right now if MF will honor that same deal. Don't need it right now, but maybe keep it in the closet for a rainy day.

By the way, I'm finding the reverb totally adequate for my needs. Overall it's an amazing little amp, especially for the buck.

Just wondering: is a bit of a "pop" normal when you first turn it on?

18. Trout

Trout Tele-Holic

Regarding grill cloth color:

"Black Vox grill cloth was used on the Pathfinder 15R from 2002 through 2008, but a change made was by the factory to brown Vox grill cloth in mid 2008. All Pathfinder 15R manufactured since mid 2008 have brown Vox grill."

This and other fun info on the P15R can be found HERE

19. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Mine is brown , but the serial # begins with 07. I assumed that was made in 2007.
    Any info on how to date by the serial #?

Awesome amp btw, the best SS amp I know of.

20. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

Yes, mine does a tiny pop/thump at power on - really not much at all. Like a few others here, I installed a Weber Blue Pup alnico 8" in mine and I really like it much better, especially the smoother highs. Any standard dual foot switch will work fine. I even sprung for a cover! The whole design works really well, and I know of nothing that can touch it for the price. Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.