1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use some help picking out a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pagedr, Jul 17, 2020.

1. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

I started a thread yesterday about my hunt for a new Tele, and I've begun to narrow things down a bit. Wondering if anyone with experience with one or more of the below could help me out a little bit with their thoughts.

To let you know what I'm looking for: budget is around $2k-$3k though that high end is really only for if I see something I absolutely have to have, ideally would like to stay at $2,500 or under, 9.5" radius with C shape neck, rosewood board, ideally has warmer/mellow pickups that aren't too hot, and overall something that'll be a lifetime guitar that'll be doing everything from being a practice to gigging guitar. Aesthetically I'm going between a few finishes but there's something about a blonde guitar with a rosewood board. Surf green is really nice too. I like the idea of a slightly relic guitar, especially with a nicely finished broken in neck, but it's not a necessity by any means.

So here are the teles I'm considering:

1. Fender AVRI '62 Limited Edition (Dave's Guitar Shop) - Leaning toward this one right now - beautiful blonde finish and has all the main specs I'm looking for. Main con on this is that I would likely want to swap out the CS Texas Specials - haven't played the CS version but the regular ones are pretty hot.

https://reverb.com/item/28161245-fe...erican-1962-reissue-telecaster-vintage-blonde

2. Fender AV Thin Skin '64 (Wildwood) - Close second to the above right now, same idea in that spec wise it fits what I want and the nice vintage white finish looks great, but I would want to swap out the Twisted Tele pups.

https://reverb.com/item/29031676-fender-american-vintage-thin-skin-1964-telecaster

3. Here's the outlier: K-Line Truxton - I played one of these a few years back and thought it felt and played really nice. The pickups in it were Lollar's I believe as I think that was back before Chris was winding his own pickups for his guitars, so not sure how his signature pups sound. I'd never make a guitar purchase decision based solely on the resale value of a guitar either, but it is something I am thinking about a little bit with this knowing I'd probably lose more money and it would take longer to sell if I didn't bond with it. But there's a really beautiful surf green Truxton on Reverb right now...

https://reverb.com/item/33192851-k-line-truxton-white-guard-tele-style-electric-guitar-in-surf-green

Any thoughts? Anything else I should consider? I know it's all subjective and ideally I'd be able to play all three but that's just not realistic given each guitar is specific to a shop and all are in different states.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Have you played a Jimmy Page Telecaster? They're really nice!
    [​IMG]

Dan R and jfgesquire like this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Your budget means you effectively get to choose anything you like: what else can the rest of us add to that? It is just a question of what rings your bell

I myself would buy used and get a few. That way when you sell I lose nothing and generally profit

Electric Warrior likes this.
  4. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Man that was the first guitar I went looking for, those look awesome, but sadly I prefer a 9.5" radius

5. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

All three ring my bell, just hoping to get some opinions on any of these models as I try to make a decision

6. Piggy Stu

Someone will soon tell you to buy all three in this thread

AndrewG and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  7. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

OngoGablogian likes this.
  8. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

And I'm just the sort of dummy that would listen to this sort of advice!

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Go ahead and buy all three! :p

You know, if you can swing it and they have a good return policy it's not a bad option.

10. Piggy Stu

Stop the stopwatch!

11. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

That's fair. I feel kinda bad returning a guitar given the tough times shops are going through right now, but I may need to just go that route.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

the differences are in some of the details. I don't know anything about the Truxton pickups and don't see many details otherwise. Flatter fretboard, yes? 12 v 9.5

Truxton comes with brass saddles (or at least brass - looking), while the other two come with steel saddles. At that price range, saddle choice isn't a big deal, you can always switch.

the thin skin '64 comes with tall thin frets, not my favorite, but lots of people like them. also comes with Twisted Tele pickups. I had a Baja with the Twisted Tele in the neck, liked it fine. I have a friend who has one of these thin skins, I gigged with it once, it sounded great. But maybe I'm just a tele whore and I love most of them anyway.

the '62 reissue at Dave's comes with medium jumbo frets and Texas Special pickups - which happen to be my favorite, but a lot folks think they are a tad hot. Maybe.

they are all fine specimens on paper.

Buy the one from Dave. I hear he's a nice guy; or

Buy all three but have a tele duel with the two blondes. Ever see two blondes fighting it out over you, pilgrim? Make sure you have enough time to evaluate; or

Buy all three! and keep them for a good long while. Then sooner or later, you'll have someone in your family who deserves a really good tele and give it away, give it away, give it away.

That's why they write songs.

Glad I could be of help.

JRtele and pagedr like this.
  13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

That could be...I was surprised at how much I like the Jimmy Page Tele, and it was really light, too.

14. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Very helpful, much appreciated

15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Wanting excellent instrument instruments that require
    only an experienced player and an Amplifier, I’d buy two
    Squiers, a 1960’s Thinline and a 1970’s Thinline from The
    Vintage Modified Series.

My next Jazz Box will be a Squire Thinline 70’s with a set of
    Flatwounds. These are ridiculously good Guitars and can do it all if one knows how to use a Tone Control.

16. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  17. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Is this slightly enough?

18. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Ha! That miiiiiight be just a little bit too much for my liking, to own at least. Looks cool though!

aleski likes this.
  19. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

The AVRI, definitely.

20. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Go play them all see if you bond to one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.