1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use some guidance and advice on using direct boxes and smaller amps for gigs....

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by FortyEight, Sep 30, 2020.

1. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

^^THIS!!! Totally great- done several gigs with just the DI box into PA. It really warms up the rather “dry” signal from the bass guitar into the PA. You can add just enough OD with the DI amp modeling to get that “Ampeg-y” sound without lugging one around- it truly just fits in your gig bag or guitar case- here’s my Behringer BDI21 tucked in with my J-Bass for a small gig...
    0FADC2EC-67A8-482C-8934-60B51716BBF2.jpeg 44A709D8-323A-4FA5-887B-CD814CCB4FC1.jpeg

2. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Got to use one of these on a shared gig- it was awesome.

El Marin likes this.
  3. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

I'm a fan of the Tech 21 Bass DI/ Bass driver. They run about $200 new/$150+ used. I get more compliments on tone when I use it than anything. I put it in front of amp sometimes, direct into PA, it's my emergency 2nd amp these days.

There is a knock off of it: Dr. Sparrow if you want to try it at very low money.

You can dial in sounds from motown, to geddy lee, to stoner rock fuzz and almost anything in between.

I also have an Ampeg SCR-DI bass DI. It's only got a couple useable sounds. I don't think the scrambler fuzz or distortion is that usable, but it can get a SVT sound or a flip top kinda thing. I don't like it quite as much as the Tech21- but it has a headphones and a aux. It's basically replaced having a practice amp at home. I don't really use it for gigs- but probably could straight into the board.

4. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Yeah, bass. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. I've played my guitars through it and it's OK. But not really all that good. I would use it at church if I ever played guitar cuz I had it parked there and didn't feel like bringing another amp. And actually at the time I didn't have a decent guitar amp. Now I do.

I have a mexican p bass. That's what I used at my last church for like 3 years. We just moved on to a new church and I'm not involved with the music at this point. I'm kind of aiming to play drums there as they are light on drummers. And plus I'd like the break of not having to learn a bunch of new songs all the time on guitar or bass. Cuz I'm focused on my own music and maybe now this country band.

I'm going to Music go Round today and will probably pick up some kind of DI box. And then I'll be in the market for the rumble 40. Would be nice to find someone to sell the 100 to if I get a 40 or help fund the 40. That being said, I could use it for vocals if ever get my guys to come over and play here.

Money is tight though.

5. 68Telebass

Mmmmm, Tasty!!
    I think that’s awesome, but at $900, I think the OP would do fine with the Rumble 40 to start with...

now I’ve got GAS for that small combo or the Jeff Berlin Markbass 115 combo...:eek:

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

You can get it second hand around 400€ or 500€ but let me tell you something... It is worth the 900. It is AMAZING how it can handle 500W

The Rumble 40 is a toy, this is a professional amp

68Telebass likes this.
  7. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Not going to touch the gig issue, but for recording, I would just plug direct into your interface. There’s so many good amp sims for bass out there. Most people I know who record often haven’t miced a bass amp in years.

8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I'm still learning what I like with recording. I've been using my rumble 100 and direct into my interface and I like the sound. I'm skeptical of going completely direct but I may have to try it. My interface has a 1/4 jack. I really don't like the idea of digital coloring. I guess you could say. But that being said, it's probably a silly position to take. LOL.

OK so....

I may have been hasty in my purchase but I wanted something quick. I bought a rumble 25 with a Samson MD1 direct box. I realize the 40 is probably the better amp and a better set up. But I like the sounds coming from this and it was what was available quick at a price I felt I could swing.

I do have to turn the treble down a lot and my tone knob down to get the bassy tone I want but it works well. I can have the little amp near me as a monitor and they can do what they want with my bass signal. I'll be honest, even this 25 is freaking loud. I haven't had it past 3 yet in my living room and it's like dang. But the 100 definitely has a more boomier low end sound. The difference between 2-10s and an 8". I guess I'm becoming a fan of 8" speakers. I have a Vox Cambridge with an 8" celestion for my guitar amp and I really really like that amp and it's sounds.

I know I keep having pics of my guitars in there so I will prove that I have a bass in a pic. LOL.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    68Telebass likes this.
  9. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I hate to break it to you, but I think you're going to regret buying a Rumble 25. The Rumble 40 is a huge step up from the Rumble 25 which is why that's the model I recommend for a small bass amp.

10. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

@FortyEight, I unfortunately agree. It isn’t the increased power; it’s having the same preamp on the Rumble 40 as the v.3 Rumble 100, 200, 500, and 800 non-Stage (non-modeling) amps.

The on-board post-EQ XLR line out is sufficient for the applications you described. The Samson MD1 direct box would be an extra expense that, IMO, should be expended IF the onboard line out would be shown to create a problem. When you can spend the money for a DI box LATER, I’d suggest a Behringer BDI21 at about $30 USD. The Samson MD1’s price of $60 USD plus the usual $120 USD for a Rumble 25 equals a pre-tax cost of $180 USD. A Rumble 40 typically costs $200 USD from virtually any USA retailer. It’s a $20 USD difference.

IMO, you’ll be happier with the Rumble 40 v.3 in the long run. I think your salesperson did you a disservice. And if it was Sam Ash, I’ll bet the salesperson got additional commission (a.k.a., a “spiff”) for the add-on sale of their house-brand direct box.

No affiliation with Sam Ash as anything other than a VERY satisfied customer. That’s just how retail sales work.

EDIT: Corrected price for the Rumble 25. It makes even more sense now to exchange both the Rumble 25 and the Samson MD1 for a Rumble 40.

One more thing: the Rumble 40 is three pounds LIGHTER than the Rumble 25. Plywood cabinet of the 40 is lighter and more rigid than the MDF cabinet of the 25.

TL/DR: Take the whole shootin’ match back and get the Rumble 40.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    68Telebass and ZenGuitarist like this.
  11. 68Telebass

^^^THIS- the Rumble 25 is loud, heavy and “Ok....” Buddy has one I occasionally used at light practice- sounds ok...

The Rumble 40 has SOOOO much better EQ stage and OD it doesn’t even compare- AND it has that XLR out. The 25 had NO line out... Sorry my friend @Ronzo is correct.

Send it all back- get the 40 and the Behringer DI box. Those are the only two things you need.:cool::cool:

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  12. 68Telebass

Not a toy- a serviceable decent amp for small situations- great sound as well.

MarkBass- Yes, professional equipment. Some of us have day jobs, and enjoy this as a hobby, even when we do get out there to play. We’d all like to be able to just nab pro equipment, but sometimes cost IS a factor- so we have to balance “good enough” versus “I will make enough gigging regularly to cover this” :)

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  13. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Well I do have til thursday to be able to take it all back and get a full refund. I saved my receipt and made sure. The amp was 80 and the DI box was 40 so it was 120 for the rig. The rumble is used, but looks like it was not used much. It's music go round. Although they do sell new stuff so I guess I wasn't clear about that.

I don't mind the sound of the 25. But I do get that the 40 is the better amp. (didn't realize it's lighter. LOL) I think what I should do is see if the other music go round near me has the 40 and then I could return it to that store and get the 40.... I will likely use this for practice tomorrow and see how it works.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I played at one place that had a "butt kicker" sub that the bass player stood on. It vibrated so that the bass player felt more natural to him when using IEMs.

tubegeek likes this.
  15. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Oh snap. They have one. Maybe I should run up there today and swap it out...... I do like the idea of the DI out for recording too. It would sound better coming out of the amp then just a DI box of course. Then I could probably get rid of my 100.... Although you never get what you pay for them....

It's really lighter?

68Telebass likes this.
  16. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Yes. 18 pounds for the Rumble 40. 21 pounds for the Rumble 25.

Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) on the 25 versus plywood (more rigid and lighter) on the 40. MDF makes for a heavy, cheaper cabinet. Don’t get MDF wet. It swells and loses its build integrity.

You’ll be happier with the 40, if they are both in the same condition. The prices I quoted were for new pieces.

68Telebass and ZenGuitarist like this.
  17. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

If they have a Rumble 40 at a price you can afford, I'd recommend you get it and return the Rumble 25. The Rumble 40 is very lightweight.

68Telebass and Ronzo like this.
  18. 68Telebass

Yessss!!!! Do It!!!! (Low end peer pressure here...:p)
    You will be instantly glad you did. And order that Behringer DI as well.

19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I'm pretty happy with my Peavey Max 100 amp. I think the actual output is about 60 watts, but it sounds great, has a 10" speaker mounted on a tilted baffle board, weighs only about 25 lbs., and it's plenty loud for most small venues. It has an effects loop, a DI XLR out in back for sending to the front of the house/monitors, plenty of tone shaping switches including overdrive, besides the B/M/T tone stack, and it has a built in tuner to boot. I paid $229.00 new for it, and it's a great amp for the money, plus I kind of like the grey tolex, and it's great for practice, and gigs!

P.S. I removed the Peavey Badge from the grille screen just because I think it looks a little more badass without it. LOL
    20201005_214018.jpg 20201005_214032.jpg 20201005_214058.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  20. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

1) A direct box would only work with an amp that has a single ended (1/4”) line level out and change that to XLR. It does not plug into the speaker out. For that you need a load box that then has a XLR out.

2) Least expensive of these that I have seen work for more than a minute is the Behringer. Under $25 at Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...i400p-1-channel-passive-instrument-direct-box
    If you need a load box, then you are looking at more money. I believe the Two Notes Captor at about $270 from Sweetwater would be about as low as you could go and disconnect your speaker and have XLR direct in to the board. You have to buy the one that is the same as your speaker impedance, the link is to the 8 Ohm version https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...r-by-reactive-loadbox-di-and-attenuator-8-ohm

3) I use an (now out of production) Eden WT-300 head with the EX-110 cabinet. Plenty of low end, sounds good turned down. Worked great in two different church settings and filled a 200 seat sanctuary with bass, and plenty of volume to spare. It is two pieces, but quite light. The amp is actually larger than yours, but the pair would work for your situation. It was recommended to me by someone who plays out a lot, and it was his go to rig at the time for most everything (also has a DI out).

4). Your Rumble should have both a XLR out and a headphone jack. The manual I found online says plugging into the that disconnects the speaker. According to fender it tips the scales at 22 pounds. I don’t think you will get anything a whole bunch lighter. My Eden is a bit lighter, and more compact, but what you have seems workable. I’m thinking that if you need silent stage, you could take the headphone out to a DI box and send to the signal direct to the front end with a stereo (1/4 or 1/8) to XLR cable would suffice.

I’m thinking you already have what you need. Now, if you want another bass amp....that’s a different story.

Now, if you just want to go straight to the board, with no amp, I have used this, and it gives a pretty decent sound. http://edenamps.net/wtdi-pedal.html. Amp in a pedal.

5) I prefer Pecan....but if Pumpkin is all there is....:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.