1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use some bridge advice...Telemaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highdive, Oct 27, 2013.

1. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I recently finished up this build. It's a telemaster style using a Reverend Warhawk body shape as inspiration. Thread: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/430976-telemaster-reverend-style.html

I've sorted out the neck, reworked the nut and set the intonation close. The problem I'm having is low volume on the high e string. It's a blade pickup and seems to be working correctly. Looking at the pic below I see a very low break angle over the saddle at the high e. Could this cause the problem I'm hearing?

[​IMG]

I've already shimmed the neck a bit to get the saddles up where they are. Don't want to shim it more, in fact, it shouldn't need a shim at all with this neck. The bridge is a top-loader, obviously, that I had in my parts box. I thought it would be easier and faster to use this type of bridge and, honestly, I was in a hurry to get the guitar put together.

The string mounting holes are drilled rather high up on the back plate, which I think is part of the problem. So the question is how much of a pain is it to switch over to a string through bridge and will the pickup location stay the same? I don't mind re-drilling the mounting holes, but what other surprises might I be heading for? Thanks for any input ya'll might have.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Everything about the bridge mounting location and pickup location should stay the same, it's just a matter of drilling the through holes.

You could also try drilling a new hole in the bridge lower down the back of the existing bridge plate to try your theory. It'd be a shame to put the work and money into the new bridge and not have gained anything.

You didn't mention raising the treble side of the pickup, might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet.

Good looking guitar there!

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

What Brand of pickup? What gauge strings? Is the string dead sounding on all frets?

4. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Its a Bill Lawrence L-250 pickup. I tried raising the treble side up and it didn't help much. The g and b strings got much louder though.

Strings are Elixir nano 10 gauge. Dead on all frets. Sounds okay acoustically though. I just tried bypassing the mid control going straight from the vol pot to the output. Didn't help.

Could it be the string? Easy to check I guess.

5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I've never cared for Elixers on electric guitars always they sounded dead just my opinion. Pickup sounds decent , dead on all frets can't be the nut. Try a new string if not that might be the bridge saddle

6. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Yeah thanks. I think I'll slip a new string on there tomorrow and see if i just got a bad one.

Good to hear the bridges are interchangeable to some extent. I still would like to do a modern tele bridge with string thru when I get the time. Just like to get it working for now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.