1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use help with my new scarlett 2i2

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Not trying to be rude or otherwise an ass but you're not going to get decent results with that processor even if you increase ram.

M

FortyEight likes this.
  2. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I think it's all relative. I've recorded 8 songs so far with this laptop and they keep getting better. Cuz from song #1 we didn't know JACK. We used these 50 dollar USB mics. Then I got some borrowed gear. The interface I'm using currently is an M-Audio from 2005. And it works well. My whole goal was to be able to give the dude his stuff back. Otherwise it's working fine. But yeah, FINE is a very relative term. LOL. It'd definitely not pro quality or even close to it. But we have been having fun and seeing improvement each time we do a song.

That being said, I may see if one of the many desktops I got sitting around could be used and be better..... So I get your point.

3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

It's amazing how affordable they've all become but a decent, newer processor is necessary for doing pretty much anything, especially if you're using virtual instruments. A lot of folks get all fired up to record thinking a computer is a computer and learn quickly that there is processing power involved and ram matters. It's more fun to record while tracking and mixing with stuff open and running instead of freezing tracks.

M

4. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

@TokyoPortrait

Thank you for the input. I pretty much am tracking with all you said. I keep wanting to hear different sounds from my guitar but once they're tracked I actually like the way they sound. LOL. The last song I did I used my BIL's washburn cuz I wanted a different sound. It's the only guitar in my arsenal presently with humbuckers. And then I used my Fender Starcaster for the other track which I find kind of trebly most of the time. After I tracked the Starcasters part I was like blaaaaaaaaa on the sound. But then once it's in the mix I like it a lot. LOL. The washburn I played through my small vox amp with an 8" speaker. And used a condenser mic to record (mxl990). For the starcaster I ran it direct through my rumble 40 bass amp. LOL.

I keep trying all these different methods to see what I like best but at the end of the day it all sort of works. I just don't always love what I'm hearing when it's by itself.

I will say this... my Squier Affinity Tele is the best feeling and playing guitar I have but sometimes it sounds too much like a Tele and I have a hard time getting that... twang to not be so twangy. Cuz it's not my favorite tone. I just lowered my neck pup a little cuz it was kind of "indistinct" sounding and needed a bit more brightness.

But all of these struggles and chasing tone have me always wondering if I need a better quality guitar. But you're right, the answer is probably not. The different sounds may have it's own set of challenges of getting tone I want. And right now my Tele plays really nice. I will likely keep working that thing over with different combos of amps and way to do things. There have been songs I like the way it sounds on. To me it's strength is the bridge pup with the tone dialed back when using it with gain for more rocky sounds. Tele's have good sustain. Way better than the two strats I have.

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Thank you. I will look up the disabling services thingy. I'm not sure if we did that particular one. It will be interesting to see if I can get it to work well with this laptop. After doing all this... LOL.

I have used the combo of xlr out of my amp in one channel and a mic on the amp in the other channel. I've only done it with bass thus far. But I do like it that way. That's how I recorded the last bass track I was talking about to finish up the one song. I've done it twice that way and I feel I've gotten probably the best sounds that way thus far. Using my 2nd Gen rumble 100. I haven't tried it with guitar yet though.....

I'm interested to see if my voice will work with a 57. My friend that owns a studio used to always insist on 57's and it worked at the time when we recorded. So I'm hoping it will work and I did the right thing in going with a 57. But I can always get a 58 if I don't like it. And yeah I have the borrowed 58 right now anyways....

6. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Learning to make good recordings is another developed skill just as learning to play an instrument. Takes practice and learning. To me, much more complicated than just playing the instrument.

FortyEight likes this.
  7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah, that same friend I mentioned keeps trying to sell me on the idea of just saving all the money I spend on any of this and spend it by him. Which I totally get. But the amount I have into it so far wouldn't even get me one song. His tracks would sound a lot better cuz he's been doing it forever but it's not very convenient. It's nice to do it in your own house, at your own time, and not have other people breathing down your neck. I mean.... if you're real close with someone that's cool. But we're not any more. I suppose we could be again. But.... it's just a bigger pain to pack all your stuff up and be on the clock somewhere else. I think I will likely just keep adding and learning slowly to my own set up.

But his points are valid. He says the issue is there is always something else you need when recording music....

howardlo likes this.
  8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

I’m with you on this first bit. Spend the money on yourself. You’ll always have the ‘stuff’ then, and you can record countless times at, as you say, your leisure and convenience.

But, respectfully, I’m not with him on the second bit. If we’ve just talking about typical pop, rock, country, etc. solo or small band effort, as opposed to say, orchestra or band with horn section.*

I really believe all you need is instrument, interface, computer, DAW, headphones, and associated cables. If you don’t want to go direct or only have acoustic instruments, then amp / mic too. That’s it at bare bones.

Add to that monitors for better playback when mixing. Maybe a second mic, so voice and instrument are covered. Done.

Plugins are fun. But they’re also a rabbit hole. I guarantee you that every decent DAW already has all the EQ, compression, limiting, gating, reverb, delay, etc. that you need. The only thing I feel might be needed is something to add ‘analogue’ warmth, and I bet you can find something free for that. And, if you really get the itch for plugins, there’s a bunch of free ones covering all sorts of things. Some are rubbish, but many are really good.

Good luck.

Pax/
    Dean
    * that came out as ‘hen section’ at first, which would be an interesting band...

howardlo likes this.
  9. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

There's a setting in Reaper where it will measure the latency, and automatically move the track to compensate.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Do you know how to change that? Thanks!

11. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

There's a Kenny Goia tutorial in the Reaper Mania YT channel.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    nickmsmith likes this.
  12. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Preferences > Recording > Tick the box at the bottom which says "Use audio driver reported latency"

nickmsmith likes this.
  13. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Ooooooo, that is good news. Cuz my Drummer is starting to use Reaper and we're talking about switching over now.

@TokyoPortrait I appreciate that input. I don't know a lot about home recording but for sure it's come a LONG way since he started back in the 90's. But he's put a lot of work into it and it makes sense to have his perspective. Plus his recordings do sound really really good. But it's still way more money than I can afford. Only way I will do it is if I get the hankering for one song to sound really really good for some reason. But I mean, these songs I do, they're for friends and family.... Most of the time my target audience is literally one person. And of course it's nice if other people enjoy it but I'm writing songs to be like little gifts to people. I mean most of the time they could have universal appeal because we're all people. But I don't really write thinking about all kinds of people listening to it.

Anyways... The plug ins, yeah... I doubt I'll get into that too much. I'm not really much of a pedal guy as a guitarist and this seems like the same thing to me.

And one more thing I got to thinking about when people recommend doing everything direct... So.... for me, one thing I like is for my "hobbies" or things I find enjoyment in, I prefer to do it the "old" way. As much as I can. I mean I know obviously I'm breaking that rule by recording digitally. But for me it all just feels better and more enjoyable to use amps. I mean music in itself, well like music based around analog instruments is a very old way of doing things. I mean now people grab their laptops and make music without ever touching an instrument and grabbing sounds from the net. No thank you.

It's not much different than a lot of people like to restore cars that are OLD. Yes, sometimes they restore them with newer equipment. But sometimes people do completely stock. Like a distributor that still uses points. I mean it doesn't last as long and isn't as reliable but that's part of the fun of it.

So I just don't see myself getting behind all kinds of newfangled ways like doing guitar direct with cabinets in a computer. It doesn't appeal to me. Sure, would be a heck of a lot cheaper but I like chasing tone in the real world. I don't mean that to sound uppity or anything. It's just me. But if people are doing it newer ways, more power to them. I'm not against progress. And I wont argue that the old ways are better. They're just more enjoyable for me. Presently speaking. I can always change my mind. LOL. But when people push it to me I hope they can understand that it's just not my thing right now.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  14. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

There is no escaping from Comp and EQ, the rest is a rabbit hole that everyone falls into as they learn more

Another I use on all vocals is pitch correction, Max won't have it that he tap dances around or falls off the notes so I fix that when he's not looking and there's absolutely no point singing harmonies to a lead vocal that is not spot on if you are pitching off the vocal and not just doing simple triad stuff off the instruments

15. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I don't know... I like a little bit of wrong notes from time to time. It helps me know other people are human. And sometimes it kinda fits. Yes other times it's just like whooops. Doesn't sound so hot.

But I mean if a person can sing relatively decent I don't get all like ewww about if it's perfect or not. That's just me. I think I'm always trying to look past any perfectness and listen to the heart and emotion of a song. I may be more in tune with emotions than technical savvy. I think that comes across in my playing cuz I for sure am not a super great player.

howardlo likes this.
  16. adamp824

adamp824 Tele-Meister

I have the 2i2 but use it with Ableton. Not sure if Audacity will have a similar feature, but every now and then (at random) there is a lag. In the options menu of Ableton, there is something called ‘Delay Compensation’ that needs to be checked or unchecked.

I don’t know if your DAW has a similar option, but might be worth a look.

FortyEight likes this.
  17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Yeah, I wasn't really recommending you do that. I don't (usually). I just meant, it doesn't have to be a rabbit hole and you don't 'always need' something else. Basically, I go guitar, pedals, amp, mic, interface, computer and DAW, with cables where needed. Although I upgraded to Logic Pro X later, my computer came with GarageBand and I already had a mic, mic stand and XLR cable, so initially it was just an interface I had to add. I still don't have much more than that.

And I get the 'old way' thinking. I much prefer to mic my amp. Problem is, sometimes I get far better results with the amp sims. Mainly for cleans. But I'm thinking about getting an amp better suited to cleans for that...

Pax/
    Dean

18. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

@adamp824 Yeah, I think I'm going to try Reaper on my laptop before doing anything else. I may still have to adjust buffer size or compensate somehow. But my drummer said when he uses reaper it gives him a bunch more options for the drivers. Like several ASIO ones and such. He did have to try a few before he found the one that worked the best. He also thinks recording reaper gave him a bit more clarity.

So... that's an option I want to pursue. I was eventually wanting to try reaper. Although what's funny is right now he's tracking in reaper and then importing in audacity to edit cuz he's still learning how to use it. Audacity is just a lot simpler than most DAW's I think. With this stuff I'm like one of those types of guys that doesn't want to read the instruction manual. I want to play. But I did sit down and try to do the downloading of my scarlett properly and do what they all said. To me it looks like they don't supply an ASIO driver for the 3rd gen 2i2. I got an email back from focusrite and they're like try downloading the control panel 3.7.1 driver. Which I already did in the beginning. Ugh...

@TokyoPortrait Yeah, I think I got that from what you were saying. I was kind of addressing in general all the comments of going direct for guitar or even bass. I remembered why I don't really want to do that. LOL. My friend that owns a studio does it for his own playing too. But he has a bunch of different amps for people so obviously he doesn't tell everyone else to do it that way. He just thinks it better. He was never afraid of changing with the technology. I'm nostalgic I think and like it that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.