1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use help with my new scarlett 2i2

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Jan 24, 2021.

1. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Doesn't cover latency compensation (from what I saw).
    Unless you change your setup, the latency compensation would not need to be changed. Unless I'm overlooking/ misunderstanding something.

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

3) Setting Latency Compensation
    Plug a microphone into device input, and headphones into device phone jack.
    Put the microphone to a headphone speaker.
    Set the device so that headphones are listening to the return from the computer.
    In Audacity:
    Set a click track: 'Generate > Rhythm Track > 2 beats/bar, 8 bars, Ping(short). (This will create a short track of pings.)
    Then press 'Record' This will duplicate the ping track. (Ping from headphones returning via microphone)
    Zoom into one of the pings, and you will see the 2 tracks don't align.
    Go back into 'Devices', adjust the 'Latency Compensation', and then 'Record' again. Adjust until the record track aligns with the ping track.

Note: You should be able to adjust the tracks to within 1 mS
    If you have your browser on during this compensation setup, close your browser (and any other programs).
    Repeat 'Record' and you will see an alignment change.
    (You should have all other programs off when using Audacity, and when performing this alignment.)
    You can start reducing 'Buffer Length' (let's say in 10mS increments) to reduce latency.
    If you go too short you will see the 'Record' track starting to distort.

OP HAS changed his setup - that is why he is having an issue with the 2i2 only.
    "I was recording bass today on a song and it didn't work. I pulled out the old interface I was using and no issues at all. Finished up the song and was good to go and tight."

Dunno, perhaps I am having latency issues... I will just fade awaaayyyyyy..........

3. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

OK, lots of good info here. I am learning so bear with me. I guess the thing that my mind couldn't get behind is how plugging into the interface would make it better. Cuz the click track is in Audacity and that's what I'm trying to be in time with. So I thought maybe there might be a latency issue between the computer and the interface...

Which there probably is cuz I know I didn't choose the ASIO driver. LOL. It was much simpler with the old M-Audio I'm using. The reason I bought a new one is cuz it's borrowed and I want to give it back. Otherwise I'd just keep using that one. But one day it fell on the floor and I thought to myself... if I bust it, I'm gonna have to buy my friend a new one, plus myself one....

So.... my next step is to go try and find any "get started" videos I may have missed from Focusrite. Then, I'm pretty sure the main step I missed was choosing ASIO as the API. If I'm saying that correctly.

Then, I gotta figure out what direct monitoring deal I need. Cuz you can hear the tracks without that button pushed, then there is the single circle option and then the double circle. I have not clue which one I'm supposed to be choosing.

I really appreciate all the help and I apologize if I came off as rude or unteachable. It's been a week... our Fridge sprung a leak and I spent all day and night Saturday ripping up the floor with my Brother in law and installing a new subfloor. I had just got done recording Saturday morning and my BIL called and said he could come then. So I didn't have a chance to do any more testing with it and get it squared away cuz of the kitchen work. Cry cry. LOL.

So life has been handing me some more challenges than just the interface. And I want to get it squared away but we also have a gig on Saturday so my focus will be to practice this week for that in my spare time. So it will likely have to be next week before I can really dig into it.

But all the info is helping a lot!!! Just trying to learn how to navigate these waters. My mind works in analog so much better than digital. LOL.

4. Boreas

Not a problem. I am still struggling with mine. I want it to work analog like a mixer yet straight through to the DAW. It doesn't do everything perfectly, but once you/I get it ironed out it should work fine. It does record well! But I am used to an ancient Fostex that required downloading to memory cards, then downloading to the computer as a FILE, then opening it with Audacity. It worked pretty well, but was still 70s/80s technology. But technology only cures some problems while creating new ones...

howardlo likes this.
  5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

OK, so dinked around with it and learned some things. First big thing is with it plugged in there is no choice for an ASIO API driver thingy. I got MME, another windows one and WASAPI.

So I plugged my sm57 into the first channel and did a test. I got a click track going in an song. And I just counted with it. First things first, with my headphonse plugged into the Scarlett in real time there is absolutely no latency. When I talk, I'm right on with the click track. Like spot on.

Now, with the WASAPI api driver it is much better. I think possibly even doable. BUT, I still think there is a tiny bit of lag to the recorded track. So... there's no latency real time, but there's a tiny bit, possibly in the recorded track.

I also feel like the signal isn't as fast as my older M-Audio but it remains to be seen if it sounds better or not... I would think it would since it's newer.... But who knows.

So I guess I need to find out if there is actually an ASIO driver for the 2i2 Gen III.

6. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Forgot to post this. This my computer specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5015u CPU @2.10Ghz 2.10 Ghz (not sure why it shows that doubled)
    RAM: 4.00 GB
    64 bit Operating System x64-based processer

It's a Dell laptop. About 5 years old maybe...

I know 8 gigs of ram would be better, but.... this is what I got.

Boreas likes this.
  7. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

You can download the correct drivers from the Focusrite web site. They will make it work much better. Once installed just choose the Focusrite for input and output and choose asio. It will completely replace your internal soundcard. Plug your headphones into the Scarlett.

Windows will have found some drivers for it when you first hooked it up, but will work much better with the Focusrite drivers.

8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I go to Focusrite's website and all I get for downloads is the control bar for using it on the desktop instead of the buttons. I could care less about that. I can't see any place for any drivers for the unit or ASIO drivers....

I did another test with a faster click and there is a bit of a lag. More than I want.... It's definitely better with the WASAPI and plugging it into the interface. But not doable to me..

Their offices are closed due to covid and the only way to contact support is with email.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Mine always has latency. I just use the nudge feature on reaper, and line it back up with the tempo. Minor inconvenience to me. Compared to how long I fiddle with the EQ and FX on each track, it’s not much time spent.

FortyEight likes this.
  10. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I've had my Focusrite for a while now but from memory you create a login, enter the interface serial number, download the driver and the bonus comp and EQ.

We use the Focusrite as our monitor device and have no latency issues

Note. I am using Reaper not Audacity so can't help with settings there

11. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

That's why you have to adjust the 'latency compensation', as I outlined previously.

You listen to what's coming from the existing tracks (which has latency because, unfortunately computers aren't perfect).
    When recording another track the compensation (in negative mSeconds) is applied to it to adjust for this latency.

Did you follow the steps in #15?? If not, you're floundering.

Boreas likes this.
  12. Boreas

I found this pdf file to be quite helpful.

https://focusrite.com/en/news/interface-users-guide-making-music

See #22 above for instructions on how to compensate for latency

READ DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF ATTACHMENT. YOU NEED TO INSTALL FOCUSRIGHT CONTROL FOR THE UPDATED DRIVERS.

2021-01-26_17h05_01.jpg

Other considerations:

1. Are you using USB3, USB2, or USB1? Each generation is faster. Some computers have USB ports of different generations. Mine has one USB3 and one USB2. Of course, you also need one with power, or it wouldn't work at all.

2. 4GB of RAM is pretty anemic, but should work. See if you can upgrade to at least 8GB. I run 24GB in my desktop that I use for recording, which is overkill.

3. You don't have an extremely powerful processor, so shut down as much background crap on your computer when recording. This includes email, browsers, backup and malware software that you may not even be aware you are running.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Maybe here? Just pick your model and generation.

https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads

14. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

This is the source of my Post #15 spiel:
    https://wit.audacityteam.org/scroller-contents/latency_test.html

This is good advice: go into "services' on your computer and shut down unnecessary/unneeded applications running in the background.
    Here's an example:
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/windows-10-unnecessary-services-you-can-disable-safely/

15. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

This is recursive.:eek::eek::eek:
    You're using my post to clarify my Quote?? o_Oo_O
    Since he has changed his setup he needs to adjust the latency compensation (every time he decides to randomly change it, which seems unnecessary).

16. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Dude. The only reason I changed back was to finish up a song cuz the new one wasn't working. Why is that "unnecessary"? I don't appreciate your tone with the "floundering" comment and this above. I'm trying to sift through the data, along with fixing up a leak from my kitchen and shovel snow and get ready for a gig, cook, take my daughter to work and pick her up, do life etc. I just started the process Saturday. I'm sorry if for some reason it seems like I'm going too slow for you and didn't jump right on your thing to try.

I appreciate the help for things to do. I could do without comments that sound like criticism. I'm definitely slow when it comes to techy stuff. Plus I got a life outside of this.

Now, if I haven't completely run you out, can I ask you something. So you use WASAPI in that dropdown and not ASIO?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

@Boreas Mine is brand new, so it's the Gen III. So strangely everything I've come across doesn't show it using a dedicated driver, which seems odd to me. All I know is I can't find any place to launch or download an "ASIO" driver. The only thing it has for the Gen III 2i2 is the "Focusrite Control" 3.6.0.1822 Which my computer has.

I will try to do this compensation thing with the headphones. I'm trying to wrap my head around how much to adjust just by looking at the lines. I saw a spot in audacity under Edit>preferences> that shows buffer length 100 milliseconds and Latency Compensation at -130 milliseconds. I'm guessing for whatever reason that seemed to work perfectly with the other interface I was using. But I didn't physically go in and change it to that. That must be a preset....

Boreas likes this.
  18. Boreas

Mine is G3 as well. But mine was purchased about a year ago and the Focusright Control software was a previous version. Perhaps the new version we have doesn't include the ASIO driver. I just installed the same version and I don't see ASIO either. I think the original version did. Forget about that for now.

Just to make sure, when you look at Device Manager, do you see the device listed? Any errors showing?

2021-01-26_19h00_57.jpg

I guess that's about the limit of my knowledge on setting it up. I guess, to run it the way you want, you will need to adjust your latency correction. I would do it under optimum computing resources (stuff shut off). That will be your best case. But the latency correction is SET, so if it drifts around, you will need to re-adjust it.

That PDF file I mentioned above is a very good read if you haven't read it yet.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

19. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

My "recursive" post #35 was directed to clarify Boreas' post.
    If you want to use Audacity properly I recommend you adjust the latency compensation (for whatever interface you are using).
    Apparently your old interface has less latency. If you use the 2i2 and adjust latency comp' there should be no problems.

"Floundering" was my descriptor for pressing on without addressing this. No offense meant. Other things in life get in the way, but there's nothing more to add until this adjustment is done.

WASAPI is windows interface: both WASAPI and ASIO bypass windows audio overhead (e.g. mixer, enhancements).
    Any differences will be their ability to run glitch-free with small buffers.
    I don't have ASIO as an offering in Audacity's 'Preferences'.
    Whether to use one or the other is debatable, but choose the one that works best for you and stick with it.
    With either one, the latency adjustments should resolve any audio lag.
    If you have any audio glitches when recording (besides man-made ones) you need to increase the buffer size.

Note: If you have Windows (or security) updates set to automatically update; if they decide to update during recording it will heavily affect latency. Updates should be switched to manual, or if offered, to run with lower priority/at a quiet time.

FortyEight likes this.
  20. Boreas

I always forget to do this, but my computer has more horsepower than the OP's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.