1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could use help with my new scarlett 2i2

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Jan 24, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

So now I'm having latency issues. I'm thinking you would call it tracking latency.

I play along with the click in audacity. And the recorded track is off.

I was recording bass today on a song and it didn't work. I pulled out the old interface I was using and no issues at all. Finished up the song and was good to go and tight.

I know there may be some kind of adjustment to make, but I have no clue how to do it. I've been researching some of the help tutorials and they don't say anything about how to adjust tracking latency. But they mentioned the term once.

I can call them Monday but if anyone has any tips. I typically just run my headphones out of the computer and listen to the actual instrument while the program is playing. And play along with it. (Audacity) I tried to do the direct monitoring out of the 2i2 and that seemed like it made it lag even more.

Any help is appreciated.

Windows laptop.

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

The thing is you have to use the asus drivers, and plug your speakers in the focusrite to avoid latency. You will probably have to use to adaptaters if you have small jacks on your speakers.
    You might be able to use headphones plugged in the focusrite and avoid de-plugging your speakers to plug them in the focusrite. All these informations come from this member down here.

Let's ask another member, he helped me a lot with that device. Plug and play ? more like plug, troubleshoot, spend hours finding a solution, plug again, tweak a bit, troubleshoot again. ;)

@beagle Is that right ?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    beagle likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It might not be latency but the direct/software settings on your DAW. If not set properly your recorded track with be off significantly. The article below offers a good overview and applies to any plug-in. You could find similar info at the Focusrite site but this explains it for the most popular DAW’s.
    https://www.overloud.com/node/160

4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Make sure you are monitoring through your interface and not your DAW.

5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I'm a noob, but yeah, when this happens to me it's usually because I forgot to switch monitoring to the Focusrite. One click, and boom, right as rain.

howardlo likes this.
  6. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

if monitoring from a computer (daw output) you're going to have latency issues. even with a great machine.

so...turn off daw stem monitoring

headphones into 2i2. turn on direct monitoring.

adjust daw master output to achieve a good listening balance for recording.

7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I think I might have it figured out. But I gotta test it. I didn't choose a different API. I just kept it on MME which is like the default.

I don't feel like everyone understands latency properly and neither do I. But with the interface I'm using now, I never use my headphones in the interface. And with that interface we are spot on. I listen to my amp, and I listen to the click track in Audacity through my computer. I leave one of my ears off. It's not the best for vocals cuz you can sometimes hear the faint click track and sometimes other noise. But it's so faint I don't care.

I personally like that way the best. Plus, from what I understand, it's totally bypassing the return latency. The issue I'm having is with what I believe is called the INPUT latency.

But I need to try the different API. I think I'm suppose to choose ASIO and I didn't. And supposedly WASAPI is good too but ASIO is better and the one that was meant for the Scarlett. I think. For some reason I didn't see that in any info on the Scartlett set up. Maybe I missed a tutorial...

The above is what I got from a dude from church that seems to know his stuff well. It's at least a start and makes sense. Cuz I know when I installed it, it downloaded drivers. My one concern is that my laptop might just be too junky for such a new piece of equipment. and I saw youtube vids that say you need to optimize your computer or even change some of the setting on how fast it records.... But now I forget those terms. 48000 hz or 441000 or whatever... LOL.

Either way I jammed out my last song's bass part with the old interface and it sounded great. I think I will like the SM57 I bought. I went direct from the amp AND the 57 6" away from the center of the speaker and I'm digging the tone. It sounded a lot like it did to my ears. And it doesn't seem too low end.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  8. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Are you using the ASIO driver? Make sure in the software you're using that the ASIO driver is selected.

Then start moving crap around.

cnlbb and FortyEight like this.
  9. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Did you install the Focusrite drivers? If you did, then use asio.

10. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

If you cast your minds back to the olden days of analog multitrack where the record and play heads were spaced apart, you had to overdub while the tape played off the record head. Monitoring the overdub was done at the input stage, the disadvantage being you only hear what is going to tape and not what is actually recorded.

The same is true of the audio interface on a DAW. Only use the single device (i.e. not the audio jack output on the desktop/laptop) and monitor the instrument input, often called Direct.

The balancing act is signal processing via the interface, computer hardware, drivers, DAW software and back versus being able to play in time. More expensive audio interfaces, such as UA, can provide better onboard processing and alleviate the computer of some or all of the heavy lifting leading to better results. Expect to pay considerably more for those interfaces however.

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That's because it doesn't work that way. The 2i2 plugs in to the computer. It has it's own ASIO drivers. It is now your soundcard. Plug the headphones into it. Set up your program to use it, not the built in soundcard on the computer.

[​IMG]

cnlbb, howardlo, buster poser and 4 others like this.
  12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Caveat first - I use my 2i2 on a Mac, with Logic, so I don't know exactly what you need to do really.

However, I feel @beagle is making a good point. The 2i2 is your interface when recording and playing back. It goes to the computer, and everything else goes into and out of it. The DAW should be set to use it for both input and output, however that's worded in Audacity.

Also, you mentioned "I saw youtube vids that say you need to optimize your computer or even change some of the setting on how fast it records.... But now I forget those terms. 48000 hz or 441000 or whatever..."

That's the sample rate. What you should probably be more concerned about here, in relation to latency, is the I/O Buffer size, which is usually set in the DAW options / settings, maybe under Audio. In a nutshell, this affects the speed your computer will process the data, and hence directly affects the degree of latency. Typically, you set it high for mixing, say 1024 samples, but at a low-ish compromise for tracking - 128 or less. Smaller number = computer works harder but at greater speed = less latency. It has no effect on recording quality.

This webpage seems fairly simple for the various terms related to setting up DAW options for audio.

https://www.musicianonamission.com/daw-setup-bit-depth-sample-rate-buffer-size/

Anyway, I'm thinking you might need to get clear on the basics of set up first and make sure you are using the device and DAW optimally. That might solve your latency issues.

Pax/
    Dean

FortyEight likes this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Yo da man, Beagle !

14. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agree. I only ran into latency issues when I was monitoring with the computer soundcard. Need to use the 2i2 as your monitoring device. But if you insist on using your DAW, Audacity does have a procedure for correcting/eliminating the latency by adjusting the click track to your sound file. Then that latency correction is always used until you change it. I just went beck to using the 2i2.

FortyEight likes this.
  15. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Latency. In audacity it's in Edit>Preferences> Devices. The default settings should work OK. It can be lowered, but an old laptop may not handle it.

I set up Audacity (and computer) as follows: (Note I have a different device but this method should set it up OK)

1) Computer
    - go to 'Advanced System Settings': adjust in 'Performance' for 'Background Services' (Helps reduce latency)
    - In 'Settings', set audio output and input for your device.

2) Audacity
    - Set in and out to your device.
    - In Selection Toolbar, set for 'Start and Length Selection'
    - 'Edit > Preferences > Recording' tick 'Record on new Track'
    - Set 'Quality' to be the same as your device setup.
    - 'Devices' (I have set for 'Windows WASAPI, playback and record = device)
    - ........... Latency: Buffer length (This is the latency in mS: Lower setting will require faster computer)
    - ........... Latency Compensation (= Buffer Length + an amount)

3) Setting Latency Compensation
    Plug a microphone into device input, and headphones into device phone jack.
    Put the microphone to a headphone speaker.
    Set the device so that headphones are listening to the return from the computer.
    In Audacity:
    Set a click track: 'Generate > Rhythm Track > 2 beats/bar, 8 bars, Ping(short). (This will create a short track of pings.)
    Then press 'Record' This will duplicate the ping track. (Ping from headphones returning via microphone)
    Zoom into one of the pings, and you will see the 2 tracks don't align.
    Go back into 'Devices', adjust the 'Latency Compensation', and then 'Record' again. Adjust until the record track aligns with the ping track.

Note: You should be able to adjust the tracks to within 1 mS
    If you have your browser on during this compensation setup, close your browser (and any other programs).
    Repeat 'Record' and you will see an alignment change.
    (You should have all other programs off when using Audacity, and when performing this alignment.)
    You can start reducing 'Buffer Length' (let's say in 10mS increments) to reduce latency.
    If you go too short you will see the 'Record' track starting to distort.

On my computer (desktop), I have 'Buffer Length' at 40mS.
    If I open my browser doing this adjustment there is distortion evident (as well as affecting latency compensation).

16. Boreas

Try #3?

17. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

No one has asked but it's pretty important, what are your computer specs? If you have an old processor and/or not enough ram it won't matter too much because your system won't be able to handle it.

M

FortyEight and Boreas like this.
  18. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Well ... #3 is only describing how to set up listening direct vs via computer (from what I browsed superficially).
    My (over wordy) spiel was specifically for setting up latency compensation (and latency) in Audacity.
    The latency (e.g. 100ms) from computer to you is counteracted by the latency compensation (which shifts the recording to align with the track you're listening to.

19. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

20. Boreas

I am sorry. I got you confused with the OP.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.