1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Could these be Rick###-alike pickups?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by putl, May 27, 2016.

1. putl

putl TDPRI Member

I have bought a 12-string DelRey that looks somewhat like a Rick with broader Neck.
    [​IMG]
    It wasn´t very expensive so I gave it a try. I changed the original strings with Pyramid flatwounds.
    I can move my hand quickly and noiselessly up and down the neck but I find the tone of the flatwounds a tad too dull.
    I´m thinking of perhaps changing the little toaster pickups with other better pickups to get some more jangle in the tone.
    I don´t know which I should get.
    The orig. Ricks are expensive.
    Any suggestions?
    I found a couple here: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Memphis...tage-Jangle-Pickup-Bridge-Position_p_481.html
    The price is very low - but maybe somebody knows them and could tell me/ us...;)

2. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Have you run it through a compressor yet? I have a Ric 660/12 and just sold a Brownsville Choirboy 12 and the thing that made both of them jangle the most was compression.

Another big part of the jangle from a Ric is the "reversed" string pairs.

I was actually really amazed at the tones I was able to get out of the Choirboy's cheap'o pickups. Give it a whirl.

3. putl

putl TDPRI Member

Yep, I am thinking of a compressor. A friend of mine is going to lend me his - but I don´t know what make it is.
    I´m looking forward to try one - especially if it isn´t too expensive :rolleyes:

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Some of those lookalike Ric pickups are nothing more than crudely overwound humbuckers inside. Quite the opposite of a true toaster sound.

Curtis Novak says he reworks them into something much more authentic. http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/Toaster-Rework/

You have to do some serious routing to fit those full-sized HB Retrotrons on that guitar.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

What they said, those pickups are probably not built like the original Dearmond made Rickenbacker pickups. Another cheap thing to try might be a graphic EQ pedal before you get to changing pickups or having them rewound.

7. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

I didn't know DeArmond made the toasters! Interesting.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

The vintage Rick pickups were Dearmond, I don't know who makes them now, maybe Rickenbacker does. I have never owned a Ricky, have read a lot of posts about the newer Rickenbacker pickups being a lot hotter than the vintage ones.

9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

You need a very mild coil wind for the true toaster sound, IMO. Overwind = treble loss, more mid emphasis. IMO that's not the 'toaster' sound.

10. putl

putl TDPRI Member

Thanks for your help!
    I might have to measure the ones on my guitar to see how much ohm they have
    before swapping them. But I doubt that the amount of ohm tells anything about sound...

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

It tells you very little, especially if you dont know the wire gauge or if the gauge is different between the pickups you're comparing.

If all other things are equal, more DCR generally would mean more turns of wire, which = 'hotter' higher inductance.

The issue is, if the vintage ones happen to be wound with 42awg wire, and the modern ones are wound with thinner wire, the modern ones will read higher DCR, but it might not necessarily mean they're wound 'hotter,' though I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, either. As thinner wire is often used to get more wire turns on a given bobbin size.

12. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Rick pickups historically have used even 50 gauge wire. That would have over 6.5x the resistance of 42 gauge wire for the same length of wire. You can find an exceptionally wide range of readings for dc resistance, way beyond everything Fender did at any point.

13. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I have a Chikenbacker that has similar looking pickups and have found a lot of the sound depends on your amp and speaker as well as using the above mentioned pedals. I like a clean tone to emphasize the chime so I use a Vox Pathfinder or Fender Frontman.

I would recommend taking the guitar to a music store and trying different amps to see if you can find your tone that way first. Swapping pickups can be hit or miss and can get expensive and frustrating

14. putl

putl TDPRI Member

dqami, i´ve thought of that, especially because of the chance buying the wrong pickups.

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I've had one Ric with toasters (a '66 330) and three others ('78 360/12, '88 610/12, '97 330) that all had the hi-gains... the '66 had great chime and jangle, while the others all sounded like they had a blanket over their pickups. No amount of EQing got the right sound for me, so I'm pretty convinced toasters are the way to go.

Or just get a Fender.

Coach56 and john kleeman like this.
  16. putl

putl TDPRI Member

I will take the guitar to a guitar shop and have a pickup-chat with the technician.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.