Could somebody with wiring skills check over these diagrams for me?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by eddnix, Aug 11, 2019.

1. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

Hi there,

Walking home from the supermarket a few weeks ago I came across a beaten up Squire Tele Affinity in a skip and have spent the last month or so souping it up. So far I've refinished the body with fabric and nitro, attached a new neck and vintage style bridge with brass compensated saddles as well as converting it to string through body. I've purchased a set of Tonerider Hot Classics so next up is the wiring! As it was a freebie I've been going a bit potty with mods and learning loads along the way and in such spirit these are the schemes I've come up with, what I require and would be most gracious for is for somebody to check over these diagrams and give me a bit of input on them.

Firstly there's this 4 way switch with with DPDT switches diagram for OOP with a "Bright Switch":
    [​IMG]

After drawing that one up I came across the Freeway 6 way lever and came up with this:
    [​IMG]

The second one is the design I prefer but will adding the .01 cap on the DPDT switch for Hoop work or have I got it horribly wrong? I've deepened the control cavity before I shielded it by 3mm so the switch should fit. Any input would be gratefully received!

Edd

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

eddnix likes this.
  3. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

You are correct! The wiring diagram distributed by Freeway suggests adding the 0.01 cap directly into the circuit between A and NG for HooP. What my diagram is attempting to do is allow me to add in the cap at will to get the two out of phase options to be half out of phase when the DPDT switch is on "pull". Being a bit green with wiring schematics I'm not too sure it will work, drawing these up made my head spin!

4. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

My head will probably spin even more when attempting to use a guitar with this many options - but this exercise is more about learning something new than how "easy" to use the guitar will be when completed ;)

5. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

Ah, very nice! Thanks for the link! I should be able to edit the design with a touch more confidence using your switch with the resistor! I was worried the switch might be a bit clicky!

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

1. Who throws a Tele in a skip ? :eek:
    2. You're putting a 'bright' switch in a Tele ? :eek:

Piggy Stu and eddnix like this.
  7. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

I know, i saw the headstock sticking out and my heart skipped a beat! As for the bright switch, it may not stay in there - from my understanding of it the mod makes the the tone and volume act like no load pots. If I'm wrong me and my newly acquired tinnitus will update this thread later ;)

8. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

Okay, after some fiddling around with DIYLC I've discovered that the cap on the DPDT switch wouldn't work at all and I'm too simple minded to work out another solution. I'm going to track down an S1 and go full Baja. Consider this thread dead and anyone stumbling across it for wiring ideas should disregard that second diagram!

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Very few players use the S1 switch on the Baja. Many use the 4-way.

If you put quick connectors (someone recommended RC hobby car plugs off Amazon before) you can build up a couple different controls on loaded control plates and swap back and forth easily.

eddnix likes this.
  10. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

That's a fine idea!

11. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

Right, sorry for continually bumping this thread but I've had a breakthrough. This is what I'm going with and have just ordered the parts:
    [​IMG]
    That fried my poor brain. The idea is a typical 4 way OOP set up but with the ability of pulling the tone and getting the HOOP cap and resistor in series. Tried it out in DIYLC and all seemed good. The interesting bit will be what will the HOOP components do to the tone when OOP is not selected? Looking forwards to finding out!

Thanks for all your help good forum bods!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:49 PM
  12. sjtalon

Good deal, I rigged my CV Thinline up with a 4 way and the HOop p/p (tone pot) like you have there. Nice option the HOop, kinda cool tone.

Do keep us posted.

Attached Files:

13. sjtalon

Forgot one thing.

Sometimes common issue with 4 w installs is the slot in your control plate not allowing the lever to travel all the way.

When you have it all set, take a paper clip and tap on the pups as you go through all the positions to make sure the proper things happen. You can hear the series as it will be a darker or muffled tap, vs. the reg. parallel (position 2).

Sometimes if there is an issue, you can loosen the switch mount screws and with the slop in their holes move
    it to get clearance. If not, file the slot a tad longer with a fine tooth hacksaw blade.

14. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

Top tips there sjtalon. Hopefully all will go swimmingly, if not I'll dig out a hacksaw blade! You're a star.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.