Could hummingbirds be smart?

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted
We keep a feeder full on the deck. Today a hummingbird flew up to the window and hovered there, gathering my attention. This is unusual behavior.
It spurred us to look outside at the feeder, which had fallen down during the storm.
I refilled it and rehung. It. Now they are back to their regular feeding routine.
Hmmm....

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
We have a sliding glass door to the balcony, so basically that end of our living room is floor to ceiling glass. The cat has a scratching post with a top platform right in front of the view. Hummingbirds will hover right outside the glass, facing her at eye level. I don’t know if they’re smart, but they’re sure smart-*sses.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
you are talking about one of the most aggressive birds in the world , they have been known to out fly and maneuver eagles hawks crows , they fly at increadable speeds and can fly backwards , plus after travelling thousands of miles can identify a liquid food source in a new area , they hunt mosquitoes and catch them with out issue ,

the babies look like tiny moths untill you look very close

are they smart? try packing that much intellegence and agillity into 2.5 grams

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Any bird that you feed regularly will associate you with food. They observe where you go, and they know that when you come out of that place with a sack of seed, they are going to be banqueting soon. Same with Hummingbirds. They do it to my wife all the time, and we have Anna's Hummingbirds that don't migrate (probably because of the mild winters here), so it's a year-round job. They sure are fun to watch though.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
We decided not to feed the hummingbirds this year because of the excessive number of wasps and yellow jackets their food also attracts. It got so bad last year that we couldn't go outside on the patio. We had a few fly by and leave disappointed. I hated to do it to the little birds.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've got a baby Butcher Bird who flies in under a veranda, closed in one one end, and sits on a spot right behind me outside a window and watches the TV and PC screen, I reckon. It doesn't squawk for food there... it might do that over near the back door sometimes where I usually put some scraps out...

I only notice it when I look around for some reason, it doesn't seem to be trying to attract my attention.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
We have a fancy hummingbird feeder that gets some attention but they seem drawn to our honeysuckle trees, which I think are invasive but cool.