Could a Tele Relic Too Fast?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chicken Curry, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

My 52 AV was made in 2017, when I purchased it last year, it already had finish checking which I don't mind. Now, I'm noticing the start or fretboard wear. Part of the body is turning a darker yellow, where the forearm sits. It's only 4 years old!

It's interesting to watch, but at this rate, it could be relicing too fast. I mean it'll look cool at it's peak, but I'm hoping the fretboard won't look like mud before too long. The body and the neck, who knows what the finish checking will look like.

Do you have a Tele that relics too fast or is this normal? Here in Australia, all we do is sweat, there's also extreme temperature changes.

Fretting out and Boreas like this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Extreme temperature (and humidity?) changes? Also allotta UV down that way as well. It will likely age as fast as the people do. Many people find this desireable in a guitar, but not themselves.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

All i can say is you obviously play it a lot and are giving it some honest wear certainly nothing to worry about just wipe the crap off the fingerboard if it starts to build up

RomanS, nojazzhere and Boreas like this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dude, people pay big money for fretboard wear and a checked finish, congrats for getting it for free! Shoot us a photo.

RomanS, mojek, Fendereedo and 2 others like this.
  5. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

I have patented a process that slows the rate at which a Telecaster becomes a relic. Unfortunately the service is limited to 365 instruments (one of which I own outright). If you ship me the guitar I will play it once a year and it will seem like it is hardly aging at all.

dlew919, gimmeatele and Hodgo88 like this.
  6. Hodgo88

Hodgo88 TDPRI Member

MJT did a "closet clean" finish for my Esquire. No string shadow, no fingerboard grime, super mild checking. It also happens to be my go to because Don Mare built me the most amazing pickup I've ever heard, a 2 speed stangray with a 42awg 5.4k first tap and an 11.5k 43awg second tap. I play the bejeezus out of that guitar because it sounds good through everything.

A few years later, that guitar is no longer "closet clean", it is now "light relic". The checking has grown, the neck has been properly gunked up, and the Glendale raw steel hardware has rusted up beautifully.

I don't know about "too fast" though, I'm happy to see a little character develop.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Most of my guitars look like they have never been played. This is only partly true. I wish mine would age faster, but I blame that on my cases.

mojek and Winky like this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Both of my guitars have poly. I don't want them to wear - ever. But that is just me I suppose.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Fender is in a tight spot here.

I could pass off my 80s Sabre as new except I’m too lazy to polish the bridge.

10. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Be careful what you wish for, sometimes you get a "less than perfect" nitro finish.
    Case in point - Got this in '12, played the crap out of it but the finish sometimes literally falls off by itself. 241527_10151102389441158_49238548_o_10151102389441158.jpg 1F39C2D2-AAC6-47D7-AFB2-42B6D0CCECCC.jpg

Chicken Curry and Fretting out like this.
  11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Are they just spraying a coat of nitro over a poly finish?

12. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

+1. It's not just you : count me in!

13. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

Its impossible to tell without the benefit of detailed photos. ;):):D

14. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I hope you relic more slowly than your instruments. What more could a guy ask for?

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

It was fairly common Up until the poly years to see instruments factory refinished within a couple years

Hence...why they went to poly

We asked for it for years (authentic finishes) and then.... fender gave them to us! And then...... OH NO! Mr.BILL! THESE DANG THINGS ARE FRAGILE!

I know,I’m a curmudgeon

swervinbob and Phrygian77 like this.
  16. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Rory Gallagher had very acidic sweat. I suspect Stevie ray did too. Brian Mays red special has west but not like that. So does blackie - claptons guitsr. There are elements you can’t control I guess.

Footsore likes this.
  17. Chicken Curry

It's only the beginning stages. As I found out in my previous thread, it's very hard to take photos of these things, where sheen is involved.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Blue Bill likes this.
  18. Chicken Curry

I purchased my 50's AO about 6 months before my AV, even though my AO was purchased brand new and the AV been played since 2017, it just seems the AO will never relic as it has very thick finish on both the body and neck. Your guitars may just have normal thick finish.

Boreas likes this.
  19. Chicken Curry

I don't mind how yours looks. But that's nitro finish for ya, I've heard that happening. There's a small spot where a bit of finish fell off mine as well.

VillainSean likes this.
  20. Chicken Curry

Taking pics of these things is weird, it never shows up how you want it to. In real life you can see it, it's there. Take a crisp clear image of it and it doesn't show up. Take a blurry image and it shows well. Go figure.

This is just the early stage of fretboard wear, at it's infancy:
    [​IMG]

Those aren't smudges (as I first thought), they're actual wear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.