Couch Strummer

LateTeleBloomer

TDPRI Member
I’ve had this Japanese 1997 TL62-B for about three months now and I have really bonded with it. I really like light Teles, this one weighs in at about 3.3kg (7.25 pounds) so not feather light, but right in the sweet spot for me.

I’ve removed the poly finish from the back of the neck and have applied a few coats of Tung oil, I’ve got some gun stock wax coming in the mail as I don’t really like the feel of the bare oiled wood as much as I thought I would…

This was my first time buying a guitar online, but I knew what I was after and I was familiar with these 60s C shaped necks that Tokai were producing at the time, so that along with the weight was good enough as a starting point for me to modify.

I was anticipating needing to rewire it but was surprised when I plugged it in that there was very little noise and the Texas specials sounded great through my Victoria Victorilux 2X12. When I opened the cavity I realised someone had beaten me to it, cloth wiring, quality capacitor etc. bonus.

This photo flatters the guitar condition wise, it’s actually quite beaten up and has been played a lot. Often a good sign in my book. I got it quite cheap, and one of the reason for that is that the frets have probably had their last dress. I knew this and factored it in to the cost and have been messing around with it and playing it for 3 months now while deciding if I want to have it re-fretted it or not, I have now decided that I will, probably with stainless steel vintage frets.

The other thing I didn’t like was that the pickguard was as white as snow and looked brand new compared to the rest of the guitar, so I attacked it with some shoe polish and turmeric which I think really improved the aesthetic of the guitar, which while obviously not as important as the playability, is still important to me cause I just like vintage (completely out of my reach) Fender guitars, particularly the 62 custom. Who doesn’t? My first post here has a photo where you can see how blindingly white it was.

I’ve got some brass compensating saddles arriving in the mail tomorrow, and that will be it for mods for the time being, at least until after the re-fret once I’m sure it will hang around.

This is a beautiful guitar to play, and it is very resonant acoustically, which translates really well when amplified. It takes feedback and pedals really well, or if I’m not in that kinda mood is a really classic sound straight into the amp, particularly with the tremolo and spring reverb.

Thanks for reading!

203619C9-0A0E-43CF-A03F-607AC015A283.jpeg

LateTeleBloomer

TDPRI Member
I should hope so. Why would a guitar introduce unwanted noise?
Sorry, I probably could have articulated that more clearly: The pots and selector were not scratchy, there were no obvious signs of anything that immediately needed attention and when I opened it up it was nicely wired with quality components.