Cottage Cheese...Yes or No?

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
It's one of many many many things I will enjoy.

For any thoughts of bland or gummy, it is really good with tajin (chili, lime) and the fruits I feel are good with tajin. @BigDaddyLH for gummy, not something I've thought of but Google Maps shows 19 cheese makers within a bike ride distance of my house. There are probably more. Some of the best seems to be what small firms make for private label and regional distributors.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
I like it. I can see how it will repel some. Like others have said, making it savory with some pepper and maybe a touch of salt is great. I like it just straight-up bland too.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Not all cottage cheese is created equal.
Of course not! There's only one brand I buy. If the store is out of it, I don't get any.

The worst is low-fat cottage cheese. I think it was Snoopy who said, "Blechh!"

Which means you're right: The only way to really find out what cottage cheese tastes like is to try every brand in the store. The only way 2HB can really find out what it tastes like is to try all of 'em.

Get to work, 2HB!

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I like large curd better than small but I will take either.
Pineapples or peaches go great in it.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Of course not! There's only one brand I buy. If the store is out of it, I don't get any.

The worst is low-fat cottage cheese. I think it was Snoopy who said, "Blechh!"

Which means you're right: The only way to really find out what cottage cheese tastes like is to try every brand in the store. The only way 2HB can really find out what it tastes like is to try all of 'em.

Get to work, 2HB!
When I travel I get reminded how much better some places have it with food. A well stocked national chain grocer or Walmart are still not the same as what great independent and small chain grocers have. In addition some more coastal areas and upper Midwest have a lot of really good food manufacturers or distributors.

After that, your zip code can really make a difference. Our small chain of stores has big differences in what can be stocked just from the proximity to a major university and diverse or high demographic neighborhoods. Once I overheard the store manager by our cabin respond to a comment about certain vehicles in the parking lot. He told the guy they were more American than his Mexican pickup truck and responsible for how much good stuff he can stock.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Once I got a take-out falafel pita that turned out to have french fries in it. What were they thinking? Nuthin!

There's a place (now a franchise) in Pittsburgh that became famous for sticking fries in their sandwiches.

home-of-the-almost-famous.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
. . . Once I overheard the store manager by our cabin respond to a comment about certain vehicles in the parking lot. He told the guy they were more American than his Mexican pickup truck and responsible for how much good stuff he can stock.
I don't get it. Pickup trucks in parking lots here aren't a signal of quality. They're just what lots of people drive.

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't get it. Pickup trucks in parking lots here aren't a signal of quality. They're just what lots of people drive.
The comment was about local animosity towards the mix of vehicles in the grocery store lot was reminders the days of pretty much everything there about logging are long gone. The local Harley Davidson plant a source of pride relies on items sourced internationally and talent from all over. The then grocery store owner was trying to tell the dumb ass his late model GM pickup was less American than his late model Toyota if labor and parts mean anything.

Our store chain has contracted in order to remain super high quality, still have traditional jobs, and a specialty niche of regionally made or grown foods. We could could only do it where surrounding zip codes beat means and medians for education and to a lesser extent income. High income or assets alone didn't mean a community would support the stocking the best stuff or our culture (pay, benefits, respect, huge dedication to community).

Closer to topic, I'm certain our proximity to cheese plants means we have it good here (home, not cabin), and we're not so tied to stores with a limited range of suppliers. Maybe people only get what comes off the Kroger-owned or Walmart trailers. We have deliveries as small as in pickup trucks and from Amish farmers.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Closer to topic, I'm certain our proximity to cheese plants means we have it good here (home, not cabin), and we're not so tied to stores with a limited range of suppliers. Maybe people only get what comes off the Kroger-owned or Walmart trailers. We have deliveries as small as in pickup trucks and from Amish farmers.

I buy cheese from local dairy farmers. Thank gawd they don't make cottage cheese, otherwise I'd feel obligated ... :eek:

Poster Extraordinaire
Can you get Ricotta?

Please try whatever brand of Ricotta you can find near you. The texture is IMO far superior for lasagna. I mean, I substitute spinach and sometimes fresh parsley, for any red meat, but when I did use red meat I used the Ricotta (we pronounce it ri-ghochta) and it invariable worked better than Cottage Cheese. I basically use Cottage Cheese if the amount of Ricotta is a bit short.

Use cottage cheese in lasagne and you're making soup.