Cottage Cheese...Yes or No?

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, I like cottage cheese. Its not everyone's cup of tea. It's good with certain fruits. It's a substitute for sour cream on baked potatoes.

I have a friend who thinks it tastes like spackle.

Of course, it's best used to simulate a zit ala Bluto in Animal House.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I honestly cannot recall ever having eaten cottage cheese. If I ever did, it would have been around 50 years ago.
German Hüttenkäse, which is the same, I have also avoided, mostly because there is always a better looking alternative to be had.
Ricotta, which is similar I believe, but not the same, I only ever have as a filling for ravioli or the likes. It is okay for this purpose.
Paneer, which is an Indian cheese more like a ricotta, but which is quickly pressed into a block, I do enjoy, if it is fried and eaten with spicy accompaniments.

I will vote no. Having never bothered with it up till now, I will remain with enjoying proper cheeses instead.

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
I like it. I often have it with a bit of ground pepper on it and eat it for lunch with a few deviled eggs. Years ago, when I was at university, the Agriculture college provided the dining halls with an abundance of fresh cottage cheese from their dairy. A bunch of us found that mixing some apple butter (a dining hall staple back then for some reason) with cottage cheese made a great tasting dessert.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Had some culture shock going to Nebraska recently and found that every restaurant, in their list of sides, featured cottage cheese.
It's just not a thing back here in Pennsylvania to offer it as a side. Mentioned it to some locals out there and they had never noticed. It was completely normal and unremarkable.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Had some culture shock going to Nebraska recently and found that every restaurant, in their list of sides, featured cottage cheese.
It's just not a thing back here in Pennsylvania to offer it as a side. Mentioned it to some locals out there and they had never noticed. It was completely normal and unremarkable.

Hah! Last week I was in Pittsburgh. Apparently (and menus bore this out) tossing french fries into a salad is common practice there.

Cottage cheese: not for me. Too bland and gummy.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hah! Last week I was in Pittsburgh. Apparently (and menus bore this out) tossing french fries into a salad is common practice there.

Cottage cheese: not for me. Too bland and gummy.
The steak salad is a treasure. Just think of the fries as potato croutons.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
In his prime, there was no one like the Cheese. He had the songs, the chops, the guitars... and that sound!

Poster Extraordinaire
Then there you are. Like I said, you're on your own. Buy some, take it home, open it, scoop some out, and eat it.

What you taste will be exactly what cottage cheese tastes like: cottage cheese!

It's an interesting forum question, and I can't come up with a more helpful answer than that.

Not all cottage cheese is created equal.

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m eating cottage cheese right now. I just made a salad with grilled lettuce, cottage cheese, tomatoes, turkey and blue cheese dressing. I’m doing the Atkins diet, and this is perfect.

Cottage cheese has been one of my favorite foods for the past 65 years or so. I think my mom liked it because she served it frequently. We we used to eat it mixed with chives or topped with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, until our German maid taught us to eat it with freshly ground black pepper.

As others have mentioned, cottage cheese makes a great dip. When I was young I ate it with Fritos or Ritz crackers. My taste has become a little more sophisticated in my later years. I had to break the Fritos addiction, and have moved on to better crackers.

Cucumber.