Cottage Cheese...Yes or No?

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I knew a lady from Germany who made her own cottage cheese with caraway seeds, it was delicious. Other than that I don’t have much interest in it.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
And for any non-Anglophones hanging out here, marmite = molasses.

Marmite, like Vegemite, is a yeast extract. Molasses is a byproduct of making sugar from sugar cane. Marmite is extremely salty while molasses is sweet. They are as similar as chalk and cheese.

I'm trying to think of something similar to Marmite that people may be familiar with. Perhaps aka (red) miso. Both have lots of umami.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Marmite, like Vegemite, is a yeast extract. Molasses is a byproduct of making sugar from sugar cane. Marmite is extremely salty while molasses is sweet. They are as similar as chalk and cheese.

I'm trying to think of something similar to Marmite that people may be familiar with. Perhaps aka (red) miso. Both have lots of umami.
Ow! I looked it up somewhere. My culpa! I'm going to delete that post before someone else gets the right idea.

Thanks . . . .

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
My mother and my maternal grandmother tried to make me eat it. On half a canned pear, on a bed of lettuce.

I did try it. Not no, but h*** no. I can't even eat canned pears anymore because cottage cheese is so gosh awful.
It looks like it's already been eaten once.
Absolutely not, not ever.
You guys enjoy.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I’m eating cottage cheese right now. I just made a salad with grilled lettuce, cottage cheese, tomatoes, turkey and blue cheese dressing. I’m doing the Atkins diet, and this is perfect.

Cottage cheese has been one of my favorite foods for the past 65 years or so. I think my mom liked it because she served it frequently. We we used to eat it mixed with chives or topped with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, until our German maid taught us to eat it with freshly ground black pepper.

As others have mentioned, cottage cheese makes a great dip. When I was young I ate it with Fritos or Ritz crackers. My taste has become a little more sophisticated in my later years. I had to break the Fritos addiction, and have moved on to better crackers.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet, eating her cottage cheese.
Up crawled a spider and sat down beside her and chewed off both of her knees.

Jeeze, guy, go to the store and buy a small tub and TRY it.
It's like yogurt when it's gone around the bend ...

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Hell yeah.

My great grandparents, both sides- were of agro backgrounds.
Maternal side actually operated one of those local dairies that delivered fresh milk to the doorstep of hundreds of suburban homes, before pasteurization changed all that.
They made cottage cheese on site and sold it as well. Late 1940's into the early '50s or so i guess.
I grew up eating it like it was an ice-cream treat.

Those suggesting salt must have never had it before mass marketing changed things.

I don't eat it much now

But our favorite brand as kids, and later, married/1980, was always 'Nordica' ( low fat/small curd) sold only at our local High's convenience stores ( in Northern Virginia). Long gone!

It had just a great flavor ( a little tangy) and texture- but we had to eat it cold!
( just like milk, yuck! If room temp)

I remember the High's Nordica brand! A favorite. Lucerne may have come close, but still not like what we had when I was a kid.
Had it occasionally growing up. Once in a blue moon now.

Here’s a recipe borrowed from the legend of Kingsley Amis:

3 English T of cottage cheese in small bowl
1/2 t marmite
Scant handful watercress, minced
3 ice cold shots of vodka

Slam the vodka shots. Dump that ghastly mixture of cow phlegm in trash.

Feel better, right?

You had me until you threw it out. That sounded good!

The difficulty in my youth was keeping any around!
Dad ate it right out of the carton like it was ice cream.

Those suggesting adding salt must have never had it before it got blanded out by mass marketing. The cottage cheese of my youth was naturally salty. And had a hint of sour. Thats the way I like it.

I used to enjoy it many ways, some of them mentioned here. Black pepper is good.
a dallop of any good jam or preserves in a bowl of cottage cheese, sure.

Not mentioned directly so far-
A bowl with a dallop of apple butter is a good treat.

A ripe red bell pepper, halved and filled, sprinkled with black pepper is a nice treat.

Chopped Spanish olives, and other previously mentioned additions, YEP!

Two not mentioned- but a-life long favorite worth consideration-
Load a generous bowl of the curds, and mix in about a half can of Heinz vegetarian baked beans. Trust me....

Next step into the unusual... Recent discovery..

Pour a bag of snack size of Goldfish crackers over a bowl of cottage cheese.
Thank me after trying this awesome experiment.

But don't trust me, I'd eat a bowl sprinkled generously with anchovies.

Actually, that sounds good. :cool:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My mom ( 1960's ) would make these weird, 'Jello Lasagna ' dishes, in long glass pans,
with like 2 different layers ( different flavors) of Jello with a layer of cottage cheese, then a layer of walnuts.in the middle.
They actually tasted pretty good, since we liked all the ingredients ( separately)

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The ONLY way I eat it is as a crucial ingredient in home-made lasagna. If it isn't in the recipe it will not be good lasagna.

Wife loves the stuff.
Can you get Ricotta?

Please try whatever brand of Ricotta you can find near you. The texture is IMO far superior for lasagna. I mean, I substitute spinach and sometimes fresh parsley, for any red meat, but when I did use red meat I used the Ricotta (we pronounce it ri-ghochta) and it invariable worked better than Cottage Cheese. I basically use Cottage Cheese if the amount of Ricotta is a bit short.