1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cost of buying used pedals from Guitar Center?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitlvr, Jan 22, 2018.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi,
    I know a lot of you here purchase used pedals and other gear from Guitar Center.
    If you would, can you share what the cost is/was above the actual cost of the product? Shipping, obviously, but also I read on the site that used gear can be subject to a handling fee.
    What I'm basically trying to figure out is, what that cost might roughly be.
    For instance, if I buy a pedal used for $30, which goes for about $50 new, and those extra costs add up to $40 or so, I would be more inclined to just buy new, as that is not a deal, IMHO. Particularly if the pedal is older, road worn, etc.
    So, if you would, what has been your experience in this regard?
    Thanks.

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

They can be in any condition from unused to destroyed . I have found GC to be fair in their resell pricing .

3. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

The handling fee is a fairly recent addition, and it is kind of a bummer. I’ve still bought a couple of pedals since they started charging a handling fee, but the pedal needs to be really cheap for me to be able justify it.

As for the cost, I bought a Mooer Black Secret (tiny Asian Rat clone) for $29.99, tax was $2.32, and shipping and handling was $10.46. I’m not sure how much of that was shipping and how much was handling, but it is a tiny pedal.

Anyway, you should be able to get all the way through the checkout process to get a quote before you decide whether to pull the trigger.

Obsessed and gitlvr like this.
  4. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

SweetClyde99, thanks.
    That is the information I need.

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I buy mine in the store without any shipping or handling fee .

richey88, Hiker, xafinity and 3 others like this.
  6. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I've had great luck buying used from GC. I think every item I've ever ordered has shown up in better than expected condition.

When it comes to shipping and handling I'm somewhat baffled. I've put the same used item in from different stores and got different S&H pricing. They even shipped an amp for free once, while another store wanted way too much.

IMO, with lower cost used items you're often better off to buy new. New usually has free shipping. So spending a few bucks extra you'll end up with a new item. Others may view it different. In your example $40 total on a $50 item is still a 20% savings. Take it case by case...

hrstrat57, Staypuft1652 and gitlvr like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 Yup, this would be my reply to the Op's query too. I, also have had great results from buying used online from GC with gear better than described. It is a math, especially buying heavier things like amps, when considering S&H fees. I always speak directly on the phone to the store selling the used gear and have them personally check out the gear. This guarantees that you are getting what you are expecting.

gitlvr likes this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a local store, and I've figured out a hack.

If I see something I want on the GC website, be it new or used, that isn't at my local store, I go into the local store to order it.

I go up to the counter, have them look it up on the computer, order it right there, and have it shipped to my house. I pay for it on the spot. I have never been charged shipping using this method.

9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly ! ... and the local store & salesman gets credit / commission for the sale .

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

The FTC should have banned the use of "handling" in advertising decades ago.

11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Oh man. Thanks for the tip!

Jakedog likes this.
  12. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

That’s good to know.

Have you ever been in a situation where GC has several of the same used item you’re looking for at different stores across the country? Do they let you pick from them to get the cheapest one, like you can do on the website?

Jakedog likes this.
  13. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

No arguments there. I can’t imagine UPS, etc., like having their carefully calculated rates lumped in with that sort of nonsense.

It really bugged me for a while with GC because, while I get that they have to box up and ship the item, they almost certainly would have had to spend a fair amount of time interacting with an in-person buyer, pulling down a guitar and setting up a test amp for them, deflecting their clumsy attempts to haggle. It seems like it would more or less be a wash to me.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

All of the TV items for sale...

Where they say buy one now and get one free! Just pay an additional shipping and handling fee!

It's a freaking scam, but I guess if you're dumb enough to fall for it, the FTC figures you deserve it.

15. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

If anyone has ever bought a used amp from GC, you discover very quickly that what they charge for shipping is nowhere close to what the actual shipping cost is, and you can get a HUGE savings.

A few months ago I bought a combo amp that weighed in at 81lbs, and the shipping charge calculated on the website was $33

16. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Handeling is a subjective term.....but.....in my case I have a cust call and order. While the shipping on a large box may be say $24.oo The cost of the box is another $6-8, a buck or two worth of packing peanuts, yes the time to have someone box it up, printing the label etc. It adds up. I charge for the UPS while on the phone with the customer, but work the cost of the handling into the product cost. It is one thing to say shipping will be $24.00 and another to say shipping will be $36.00. The sweet spot where the cust doesn't say "gee I didn't expect the shipping to be so high" ...and hangs up. Every business operated in their own sweet spot. There is no such thing as free shipping. Anywhere, for anything. You either pay for it in the product cost, or on the back end via a "handling" charge. One way or another.

My UPS bills total about $25,000 a year. And I am just a medium sized shipper out there. Its a lot of money, and $25,000 of lost profit if not collected.....and it is always passed onto the customer ...in one way or another.

Ive been making my living on line since the late 90s and seen shipping go through the roof. What used to cost me $10 to ship now costs over $40. Weight charge, large box charge, fuel surcharge.....you name it. The box companies are gouging, you wouldn't believe what a 6cf bag of peanuts cost.

17. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Each used item has a unique product ID. If you ask for a specific product ID, why would they order you a different one at a different price?

Jakedog likes this.
  18. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Genius, I love it. Nicely done.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've bought guitars that have been shipped across the country to my home (GC Used) for $14. My second Pro Jr. came from a GC in Texas and shipping was $12. I've only bought one pedal through their used systemand shipping was $7 or $8. I can't drive to Brokkfield for $7. It's all good.

All the gear that I've bought through their online used system (several guitars)?has been fantastic.

Jakedog and Hexabuzz like this.
  20. joeybyron

joeybyron Tele-Meister

I just add it to my cart and go all the way, until prompted for payment to see what the total damage is.

I work at GC part time (3years), to my knowledge if a customer walks in to buy a used item from another store, shipping is still applied. I pay the same for used gear as non employees.

If you had a cool relationship with an associate, they could have the product transferred to your local store but the “other” store doesn’t like it too much.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    gitlvr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.