Cosmetic "things, dings" on your guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Jul 29, 2019.

1. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Actually I was a bit too quick with my math (that's why I said almost 50 years)

It's actually more like 47.

I was 12 in 1972, and I bought it at a garage sale for $75 (a 1963 with original case). Being young and stupid (vs being old and... like I am now) I didn't like the Sonic Blue color, so I hand sanded it down, slapped some stain and varnish on it from Dad's workbench, and started playing it.

It's the only Tele I've ever owned, and still my #1. It's had some minor mods - new pups (still have the old ones, should get them rewound some day), pot changes, refret, strap locks, sanded down the back of the neck, but that's about it.

20180513_205349.jpg

Doug's Guitar 027.jpg Doug's Guitar 016.jpg

Cheers,
    Doug

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't try to damage them, and a couple of my guitars still look pretty new, but honestly I couldn't care less. Does it play good and stay in tune? Does it sound like I want it to? Then, way way down the list, does it look cool? (Not new, not flawless, but cool).

3. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

You are a lucky man! Too good to be true. :cool: How long ago did you buy it and how much wear was it already sporting back then? Did you change any hardware or pickups and if not do you know what kind of pickups they are?

I'm very happy for ya! Oh and thank you for sharing this. :)

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

got it about a month ago..what you see was the way it came. The seller had a video of the guitar being played. I honed in & listened to it for days..he listed the specs..they came in at a hair under 6k. More rock-hard rock player. But it is by far the best picking -articulate guitar i have. The mid position is very cool. I can rhythm of that on bout 6 on vol then grab neck for some pop for leads, Even the bridge was fuller than most i have had. The finish tho...it will fool ya. Its a rubbed lacquer. Also..its does that old school tele chikin pikin..its hard not to play that type of music on it. I prob been through 10 of em. Maybe was going the wrong way price wise all along. Even had a Squire in a multi trade deal..if the neck had been not so thin..it sounded as good as some of the mim's & Am ones i had. The one i was so disappointed in was the 50's lacquer in blonde. It's interesting..even on my Gibson's i tend to like the jr's & specials. Not so much flash..but a great feeling guitar in the hand that fits well for comfortable playing. This tele took away a year of being mad at tele's lol.

peeweepete likes this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I definitely had some into the 2000s, maybe even 2010s. Found a stash of a couple of pairs, eventually they all got worn and I threw them away.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Worn guitars never bothered me, as long as it does what it should but it's interesting HOW the scars got there. Most are self explanatory, like the SG with "sweat fade" on the upper bout from a sweaty forearm, or a missing point on the headstock of the Ibby RG...it won't take too many bashes before it breaks off.
    But the one that gets me is the headstock on a Gibson J 100 acoustic; looks like a corrosive liquid was splashed on it and took off some finish and the pattern is there for good...how / what the hell happened?

7. Tom60

Tom60 Tele-Meister

Just recently I found I´ve (lightly) scratched the back of my SJ200 64RI - likely with a metal button on my jean shirt (now gone in garbage) . But - I kinda like it... With a heavy relic MB Nocaster, you can tell where I´m coming from :D My only pristine guitar is a black ES355, a Mistress.. but my go to ES is a satin 333, she takes all the punishment.

8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Ok guys thats a lot of replies, hard for me to reply to each of you. Lets make a deal, scratch is +10$ USD to guitar value, right ?

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Those speedo ones that came packed in the little torpoedo tube?

Telecaster88 and Obsessed like this.
  10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My Telecaster has a place on the butt end near the strap lug where a large piece of the original finish flaked off and the previous owner filled it in with nail polish. Pearl nail polish. It's ugly, but I go for years without noticing it or thinking about it. And I suspect that without that "repair", larger chunks of finish would have flaked off, the guitar would have ended up stripped, and it's be another one of those ruined '60s guitars.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Damn, you know your underwear. Exactly. I ran ultramarathons in them. Best underwear ever made.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. RoCkstAr256

I remember some guy at youtube did a review of 1500 $ American Pro Tele and it had bridge poorly installed

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  13. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

Rockstar256, do you remember much about the video? I'm curious if it came from Fender like that, or if it was a 30 day guarantee return from a major seller or maybe a demo that was provided for the Youtuber vid?

The thing is with the most major retailers they take returns on guitars no questions asked..... and sometimes I wonder if the staff even look at the returns? Or if was a B stock item..... or a Brand New purchase the YouTube was the retail purchaser?

Also some of the Major retailers promote the fact that they actually set up and "Go Over" each sale prior to selling....again I find that hard to believe based on some of the set ups I've seen hanging on the wall for sale......Or did the guitar ship from the manufacturer and the factory box was shipped from the retailer?

So many unanswered questions.....lol I'm not saying the crappy bridge was warranted.....but there's usually some underlying reason..... Anyway, I hope he/she sent the guitar back after the unboxing...... Opening the box and finding that would be a bad start to bonding.....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  14. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

When does a "Ding" stop being a "Ding" and Qualify a "Damage"? Here is an example on my best sounding guitar. It is a "Crafted in Japan" Esquire. I'd be willing to try to repair the issue with the paint chip missing from the body next to the binding if I thought it would be an effective repair.
    GTR1.jpg GTR2.jpg GTR3.jpg

Lost_N_Austin

BramptonRob1958 and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  15. BramptonRob1958

Actually, I think the paint chip adds character! Since the chip won't hinder the tone of your Esquire, the repair wouldn't do anything except cost you more money... However, it's more about how you feel about it..... To some it would drive them crazy, others? Wouldn't care at all.....Just keep in mind that if you do have it repaired, no matter what, you'll still know it was there...... because you're Xray vision will always..... and I mean always become the same focal point it is now... except, it might look better...... or make it more obvious to you!..... Good Luck no matter what you decide..... It's a great looking guitar by the way

16. RoCkstAr256

I cannot find the video now, might have been removed

17. BramptonRob1958

My Brand New Page Mirror had a small indentation on the Pick guard when I purchased it.... The Tele had been on display and the mark was actually under the protective covering... I'm wasn't and am not concerned as I knew it was there before I purchased it. it's also in an area on the guard that will get marked up from playing. Since it will get more usage marks probably from me....It's not a factory defect. like the poor guy with the bridge...

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

My most recent (used) Strat came covered in scratches and dings, but I didn't care. It DID have red pick rash on the guard and for some reason it really bugged me. After a few months I took a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to it and it came right off... and I immediately started missing it. Heh heh, I'm insane.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Nope. If I own it, it's good to go for anything I do.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  20. RoCkstAr256

My player telecaster had like 1 mm hole on top of the pickguard in left corner, guess someone in factory accidentaly hit it with screwdriver. I have changes pickguard to New one

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.