Corroded saddles

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
Hey y’all.

I’ve got a custom made S guitar that has corroded saddles that can’t be adjusted any longer. Would you try to clean and salvage the old ones or replace them with new ones? They’re about 30 years old. Also any recommendations on where to find new ones similar to the old ones in black?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• 42619AA3-9621-4D2D-A64F-B76C8EB65D37.jpeg
    42619AA3-9621-4D2D-A64F-B76C8EB65D37.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 22

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I had a lot of trouble with saddle screws on a late '80's strat that had been left in a closet for about 15 years. Local tech told me to just replace all the saddles instead of trying to get those little screws to budge, but I like a challenge.

Your weapon is a product called "Kroil" and a little time....you will win with that combination. Just soak them in kroil oil for a few days and you should be able to get things moving again.

I first used Kroil on an AMC 390 motor that was seized while in storage. The small block had been rebuilt, but then left in a shed for 12 years wrapped only in plastic...the pistons were rusted to the cylinders. I poured the Kroil over the pistons and filled the cylinders for a week....a light tap with a rubber mallet and it rotated. A little re-honing and new rings and the motor ended up powering a J10 for the next 8 years.

I guess the big lesson here is to never let things just sit.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have good luck with penetrating oil on corroded height adjustment hex screws.
I can almost always free them up.
You have to be patient, and give it a little time.