Correctly dating this Usa G&L Asat Classic?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by warmachine, Nov 11, 2019.

1. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

I know little about this brand and have only handled import versions of the Asat. Seller bought it used in 2003, but I’m finding little in way of useful serial decoding to tell what it is. 3 bolt black neckplate. 7 digit Serial starts with 00. I see a lot of info saying they should start with a letter though.

Any info would be great regarding this guitar!

Attached Files:

2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Early BBE/G&L - my guess is '93 or possibly '94. BBE bought G&L circa '92. Mr. Fender passed in March of '91.

The first 'digit' is a G not an 0 btw...

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The only really accurate way is neck pocket dating. Guitars by Leo forum should have a data base of serial numbers and dates that may get you in the ballpark, and it will probably be about where the above poster states.

4. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

This exactly. The crinkle finish makes it hard to see the serial numbers. My old SC-1 had the same issue. I thought it was a 0 for the longest time when it was a G.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The G&L serial number database proves useless in this case. The only serial anywhere close to 0033830 is 0031599, and it doesn't have anything in the date field of the database.

If, OTOH, that first digit is a G, and not a 0, then the database pretty much pegs it as a '93, and that also jives with the specs.

The guitar will have neck and body dates, and you can also call G&L and ask them.

6. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

Very cool info! Thanks everyone. What’s the right price to pay for one of these in excellent shape? Wasn’t really looking for another Tele but hey, for the right price maybe.

7. EsquireOK

They aren't valuable in the market. No more than $1,000, I would say. It is in extremely nice shape for its vintage, so it would be on the higher end of the spectrum. If I liked its specs and the way it looked, I'd pay a grand for it (including tax and shipping). It's not my cup of tea, but if it was, I'd be all over it. They are very good guitars for not much money, and that one is in sweet condition with a hardshell case. Is the case original?

TeleTown likes this.
  8. warmachine

warmachine TDPRI Member

Case has some damage but is original.

I have a Fender Classic 50’s Tele, Fender 72 reissue and 2 project Fender Teles in the works. Guess it’s duplication if I pursued it. Does look beautiful though.

9. EsquireOK

It's more like a Gibson with a Fender scale than it is like a Tele. Flatter radius, medium frets, adjustable steel poled pickups with strong magnets; those are all Gibson-esque specs. Not redundant with Teles IMO. It's something different. MFDs have the grunt of P90s, but due to their lower wind count, they have the clarity and "spank" of Fender pickups. They are tuned like a Fender, but with the push of a Gibson. Best of both worlds IME (I own an ASAT Classic).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.