Correct tubing size for pickup heights?

Babaluma

Tele-Meister
Hi all,
The rubber tubing under the neck and middle (Strat style) pickups on my Nashville Tele have eroded. I can't tell what size they were originally. Is there an optimum size for the tube under these two pickups please? I was imaging between 109-15mm length?

Thanks in advance.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
All of mine is 1/4" latex tubing. It tends to begin to break down after 5-10 years or so. Your pickups will likely let you know if they are rattling in the cutout or howling. Buy a foot of it somewhere, but don't buy a ton, because it breaks down whether it is in a guitar or not. And keep it away from nitro!

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I would agree with this based on my experience. You don't want them very tall.
Why not? Seems like they aren't tall enough IME. I had to stack 2 on each screw or it only kept pressure on the screw for like 4 or 5 turns. If I tried to lower the pickup any more than a little it just basically fell into the pickguard. It's like taking a humbucker, cutting the springs in half, and installing them. It doesn't work for me.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
All of mine is 1/4" latex tubing. It tends to begin to break down after 5-10 years or so. Your pickups will likely let you know if they are rattling in the cutout or howling. Buy a foot of it somewhere, but don't buy a ton, because it breaks down whether it is in a guitar or not. And keep it away from nitro!

Why not use silicone tubing instead? It doesn't dry up and crumble like latex.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Why not? Seems like they aren't tall enough IME. I had to stack 2 on each screw or it only kept pressure on the screw for like 4 or 5 turns. If I tried to lower the pickup any more than a little it just basically fell into the pickguard. It's like taking a humbucker, cutting the springs in half, and installing them. It doesn't work for me.

Just my experience. I've used the precut ones that come with pickups, and I've also bought a length of tube and cut it myself. And I always struggled with getting the length right. Seems like if I went too long it just made it really hard to turn the screw.

So it's all preference.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
Don't know why you couldn't. But I don't think it is as soft and compressible as latex.

I bought some thin-walled silicone tubing that I intended to try and never got around to it. I may dig it out and give it a try next time I have screws accessible on one of my guitars.

Edit: its pretty much like this stuff

images (92).jpeg

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
Why not use silicone tubing instead? It doesn't dry up and crumble like latex.

+1. I really liked the orange tubing that came with a set of Kinman pickups. I looked into it and he uses "Silicon Rubber."

The trick would be finding the right inner diameter.