Correct speakers for a Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Liamf, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

"The a correct speaker for a Twin Reverb is the one that sounds good to you.
    One of mine has Radio Shack Utahs and the other some Celestions I had laying around when I got sick of the JBL D131s.
    I like the Radio Shack ones better."

I used to love those Radio Shack Utahs. I installed those in quite a few amps and cabs back in the day and was never disappointed.

BobbyZ likes this.
  2. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

I went back and read the description from the dude I got the Oxfords off. Maybe he’s wrong? I see tons of 12T6s but not a lot of these, maybe because they broke more often?

“Stock speakers from a '63 Twin and know to be the best sounding among the Oxford 12s. As you can see, these are not beauties, but with the doping/tissue paper repairs that sound great in lower wattage applications as-is or would be great subjects for recone if you desire to crank 100 watts through them.

Unlike the later Oxfords, these do not have widened voice coil gaps and that poor bass response... in contrast, these I feel are superior to Jensen 12" speakers. Why am I selling then? I only have amps with 10" speakers right now.

While these would sound great in anything, the amps that most readily come to mind are various Twins, Deluxe Reverb, etc. I think it could be reasonably stated that these are the greatest traditional sounding speakers ever for a Twin. In my humble opinion, Twins lose some of their inherent character with JBLs, Altecs, or Celestions. Peter Green agrees.“

Wally likes this.
  3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

The best Twin I ever heard had Eminence Red, White, and Blues in it.

You've got a lot of recommendations here. Probably more than you need. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Light doping is always good, IMHO:eek:

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, I’ll admit to an error. It seems that Fender did use the 12M6 in the blonde 6G Twins.
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp3.htm

The 12T6 was used in the BF TR’s.....no reference to the 12M6 but it could have happened, I suppose. I have two 12T6’s from back in the day that did not survive the challenges of working in a BFTR. These were narrow voice coil gap, high efficiency T6’s built in 1965...before the change to the wider voice coil gap.

6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes, they are somewhat heavy, but to me, well worth it in the way my Twin finally sounds. What have you gained if you have light-weight speakers in there and don't like the sound of your amp? It makes perfect sense to me. Just sayin'.

Wally likes this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 TDPRI Member

As an old fart, I LOVE the sound and punch of JBLs, and the E-120-8s are among those I love. However, at approximately 23 lb apiece, they make a twin, which is heavy anyway, into a back breaker. I took a flyer on a pair of Jensen Stealth 100 watt neodymium speakers. At under 5.5 LB each, they make a huge difference in the weight of my twin, and the sounds produced are pure Twin. Mine weighs in under 65 lb, which is slim and trim for a Twin.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.