Correct speakers for a Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Liamf, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Liamf

Liamf Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I am needing to replace the speakers in my Twin Reverb SF. I am looking at the Celestion G12V70 (which I believe are in the current reissues). Despite all the comments and videos i've watched I still can't get my head around the Wattage and Ohm information.
    My TR has 100w output and 4ohms wired in Parallel & the 2x Celestions are 70w 8ohms each.

Will these work fine with the TR?

Bowpickins likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

79twinback.jpg

The Celestions should work fine. If you come across a pair of JBL E120-8 speakers, give them a serious consideration as well. There are some that disliked those speakers so they might be available fairly cheap, but they happen to be a favorite of mine in a '79 Twin Reverb that I have modded to Blackface specs.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. If you wire two 8ohm speakers in parallel (as per the standard wiring connector) you have 4 ohms. Do not buy 4 ohm or 16 ohm speakers.

A pair of 70 watt speakers will handle 140 watts - in series, parallel the power is split between them. Fenders will handle (mostly) a 100% mismatch but best is to match the spec.

4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I recently put a pair of vintage Altec 417-8H speakers in my '71 Fender Twin. I've never heard a Twin sound so good. For me, this is the perfect Twin/speaker match. I highly recommend these if you can get your hands on some.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

These helped me back to fender as my main amps..retained classic sound..yet have some real good mids. Woke the amp up. 73pro2 (2).jpg

Faceman, Milspec and Fiesta Red like this.
  6. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Well,what are they?

7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Weber f150 light doping

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

The Celestions will certainly work for your TR. In general, any two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel with sufficient power handling should work for a twin reverb. I would generally want speakers rated for at least 50 watts for a blackface Twin and 60-80 watts for a silverface. "Correct" is largely a matter of taste and is quite subjective. Personally, I prefer alnico speakers like the JBL 120s or the Altec 417s which is what I have in mine. I've seen a lot of positive comments for the Weber 150s as well.

9. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Eminence Swamp thang's sound great in twin reverbs.

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah 150 watts total on the speakers should be good. All else is your choice really. I'm not familiar with those particular Celestions.
    Emi Legend or R, W & B's, or Weber Silver Bell 75 watt, or maybe 12F150's 75 watt would be on my list to consider for a Twin or Pro for that matter.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I think there are a lot of great speakers for a Twin, including the ones named so far. I've liked what I've heard from some Celestions in Twins of all stripes, from tweed to BF/SF. Most recently, I played through a pair of G12-65's in a BF Twin Reverb, and I also really like what I've heard of the sound of the JB-85's that come in the Joe Bonamassa HPTT.

Milspec likes this.
  12. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

The Weber California model is a pretty good replacement for the JBL sound. But compared to actual JBLs they’re a little thinner.

I just sent a pair of 1963 Oxford 12M6 to Weber for reconing, can’t wait to hear them!

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I run a pair of JBL K-120's with my '69 Dual Showman Reverb. I love that sound. If only I could still lift them!

Milspec likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I like your style...I have a pair of 417-8C speakers in my 2x12 cab. Wonderful tone....but very heavy

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

What speakers are in there now? Eminence? And what year TR? I think a lot of folks mistakenly replace the blue labels, and impair their Twin, rather than improving it.

Wally likes this.
  16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Those are lightweight speakers for a TR, ime. The TR would have used 12T6’s.

17. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Ah well, they supposedly came from a Twin but I believe you. I expect them to be much quieter than the D120fs, but I don’t want to blow em!

Wally likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

12M6 would be a lower capability speaker.....30 watts is my WAG. fender was having problems keeping even the 12T6’s in TR amps. In 1966, the 12” speakers got wider voice coil gaps which reduced their efficiency while reducing heat build up...and thereby reduced speaker failures. Those low efficiency 12T6’s are good speaker in a TR IF a person wants to be able to push the amp a bit.....they will reduce volume by half at least, ime, compared to say a 100db speaker.
    If those 12M6’s are date code matched to that amp, that would be interesting, though.

19. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I myself would load er up with 2 x 90w Celestion Creams/Alnico. Killer speakers for a TRVB. I use 2 of them with a Blackfaced/ODS 69 Dual Showman Rvb.

I also have 2 Hemp coned JBL E120s, 2 Altec 418H, Altec 421A and 2 150w Celestion G12H Redbacks. ALL of them sound great. The Redacks also are great, and can take 300w.
    100w Scumback H55 are also killer.
    For my preference 140w worth of speakers for a 100w RMS is not enough, and im compromising using 180w worth of speakers suggesting the 90w Alnico Celestions, but Ive had them 3 years, and have cranked them many many times, for hours on end.

I also use them with a Metropoulos JTM45 clone.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The a correct speaker for a Twin Reverb is the one that sounds good to you.
    One of mine has Radio Shack Utahs and the other some Celestions I had laying around when I got sick of the JBL D131s.
    I like the Radio Shack ones better. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.