Correct cotton covered wire

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by sparkymike, Nov 17, 2019.

1. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Hi. Where can I buy the correct vintage push-back cotton covered wire as used in the 60's. Correct shade of white and correct diameter etc. Was single strand copper ever used or is it multistrand.
    I could have posted this in technical, but thought I would get better response in this forum from the more savvy guys.
    Mike.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know where to get it

But I’m pretty sure that the vintage cloth covered wire was always multistrand in fenders

3. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can find it cheap on ebay. Single core or multi strand in red, yellow, white. black.

5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Hoffman amps

6. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Mike:
    Yes, to clarify, this Gavitt brand wire is available in the UK from James' Home of Tone. The limited availability stuff is German.

8. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

WingedWords likes this.
  9. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Stewmac just sent out an email about their wire this week. Think it's on sale.

Hiker likes this.
  10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

It’s the holidays, Yeah!

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

FWIW there is not one standard because you'll find vintage Fender wire in both white and yellow.
    Not sure how much the black varied. Yellow even came in a variety of shades.
    Sometimes an old pickup can be partially identified as being vintage vs reissue by the wire insulation, but I suspect there were spools in the factory of different color and manufacturer at the same time.
    Certainly all stranded except for the first non cloth amp wire in 1968 that was single strand and had very thin plastic insulation.

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Hotrox in the UK stocks some.

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

to reemphasize . . there was no "correct" shade back then,, it was whatever the suppliers could deliver... plus over the years whatever it was would age chromatically... becoming darker.. dirtier, and far more unrecognizable as compared to it's original incarnation..

the paraffin most was impregnated with would attract dust, so that has an impact too.. three US suppliers are MoJotone, WD Music and Allparts.. I don't know if they ship to the UK though.

r

Greggorios and telemnemonics like this.
  14. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

A lot of the modern repro wire seems to be thinner than original type which I am after. Anyone know approx diameter of original type ?

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Marsh amps has great cotton wire. They sell by the foot. Small business. It's waxed, not lined and doesn't fray. I dont know about colors, old wire fades so vintage ain't gonna look new anyway and vice versa.

16. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

The modern wire is the correct thickness in 22 gauge. However, the cloth insulation is a tiny bit thinner.

If you want the look of vintage wire, you could buy some Luxe 18 gauge. It will look vintage correct on the outside, but have thicker wire on the inside. o_O

Or you could get 22 gauge - cut the pieces a bit longer initially, and then bunch up the cotton insulation to make it look thicker, and then cut the wire to the proper length! :confused:

Or you could just simply use the 22 gauge and don't worry about the slight thickness difference like most of the human population! :eek: :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Fretting out, Deeve and schmee like this.
  17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Stew Mac wire is dog doo. It frays a ton. OTOH, if you need a new broom you could use it for that!...
    Avoid CE Distribution/Antique Electronic Supply also.

18. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

fernieiteTele-Meister
    " . . . Or you could get 22 gauge - cut the pieces a bit longer initially, and then bunch up the cotton insulation to make it look thicker, and then cut the wire to the proper length! :confused:

@fernieite - surely that's a typo - it's BUMCHED, like the shrits we wear w/ our cargo pants . . .
    ;)
    Peace - Deeve

fernieite likes this.
  19. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

I might be being a bit picky, but on a vintage instrument I like to get things as close as possible to how it came out of the factory. I don't go as far as sprinkling vintage dirt or dust on the parts and I would probably like to de-rust or de- dirt any other early guitars I bought.
    It is the same with the relics. I would rather by an exact copy, but without all the paint removed on the corners etc. and then let it gradually relic itself as I play it. Don,t get me wrong, I would love to find a 50's Tele at the local flea market and would leave that well alone apart from a clean and fingerboard de-crud.
    Mike.

20. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Oh, it's a vintage guitar. Understood.

Well, if neither of my previous suggestions grabbed you, you could try to contact some of the parts sellers on Ebay or Reverb, etc. They might have a few pieces of used vintage wire to sell you?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.