Correct bushings for Fender Pure Vintage tuners

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by milocj, Sep 28, 2015.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I know that this has been covered in the forum multiple times with dimensions and referrals to different company's part numbers and different retailer's part numbers (like Stew-Mac), but trying to search that is near impossible on here with all the variables.

I bought a set of the Pure Vintage tuners a couple of months ago and just finally got around to completely finishing the neck and starting to install them. I get to bushing number five and the tuner post doesn't go through it. Pull out the calipers and I've got one bushing in the package with a 6mm bore instead of the 1/4" that is needed for these (Gotoh's ?). Now I'm stuck with one tuner that I can't install and I don't have a spare tuner of the correct shaft diameter or any extra bushings to pirate. I even pulled a tuner and bushing out of another partscaster neck and the tuner appears to be the same, says Japan on the inside, but the bushing OD is slightly smaller than what came with Pure Vintage set so I suspect that they're old enough to have changed the specs slightly (and I still need that bushing for that guitar).

I sent an email to Fender, but I don't expect them to do anything about it as I don't have the receipt (don't remember who I bought them from, but it was a Fender authorized dealer), and for some reason don't have the outer packaging with the lot number or SKU.

If I were to go to the one local shop that sells a lot of Allparts and other stuff without having to buy complete sets of tuners, or even if I mail order them, what brand of bushings would be the correct set for the Pure Vintage tuners and match the rest of them?

Thanks.

2. milocj

Thanks,
    Was having a hard time finding the dimensions when searching. Now I can call the dealer 35 miles away and ask by part number.

3. milocj

Just as a follow-up to this post, I actually did get an email back from Fender late the same day I asked them about it and they said that it was a "first" for them, which I believe since I doubt that they actually load and fill the boxes when they're packaged as resale items and they aren't buying bulk for the assembly line.

They did say that they were pretty sure they could hunt down a single and send it out to me. It will be nice if it actually happens quickly enough that I haven't already gone out and bought a complete set, but at least they answered the email and didn't try to pawn it off on the supplier or claim it had to be handled through the dealer I bought them from.

4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Good result.
    I don't understand why Fender can't standardize their products.
    The Fender Gotoh vintage which are used on AVRIs and the odd MiM are 1 1/4" (6.35mm) posts with 8.8mm diameter bushes. The cheaper Fender Ping versions used on MIM Classics and DL Nashville are 6mm posts with 9.2mm bushes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.