cordless drills kill me!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by funkymann1, Feb 28, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

you buy a drill with 1 battery & charger (any brand)...the battery will last MAYBE 2 years if your lucky...you search for another battery...it costs 75-80% of what a whole new unit will cost....
    I DONT GET IT!

2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

It is a shame. Lots of similar examples. Inkjet printers come to mind. Cost of replacement ink! You can get a new printer with ink for about the same amount

3. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

What I do with my cordless tools is:
    1.open the battery case.
    2.take the part number of the elements inside.
    3.Order the number of elements I need from any Chinese, ebay seller and give life to my batteries for less.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I just went with a laser printer for that very reason , the toner cartridges are a tad more than ink jet cartridges but they at least print a lot more pages . As for the cordless drills , I got about 2 years out of the batteries on the 2 Dewalts I had , the Ridgid I have is in year 3 and still going strong .

5. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

6. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I have NEVER cared for cordless drills.
    When my old Stanley USA drill finally croaked, I went with a NIB corded Dewalt.

Steve

7. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I agree it's kind of expensive. I love my cordless drill though. It's kinda like getting a guitar refretted it's very expensive . So it really would be more cost effective to learn to do it yourself . Unless it's a high end guitar I don't think the cost is really worth it . Easier just to replace the neck.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using the Dewalt 9.6 volt cordless drill for a decade or more. Great size to handle easily, and has plenty of power. Yes, the two batteries it comes with usually die after about two years of hard daily use, but by then the drill is about due to be replaced as well (motor, gears, trigger, clutch), so I just buy the whole kit for $98 every two years. For home use I would imagine the batteries and drill would last much longer, but my batteries are drained and recharged almost daily, so I have no complaints.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have done this with varying degrees of success, the battery packs in question have metal strips spot welded between them. I can usually get a decent solder joint using wire between the replacement bats, but it really heats them up, and I think may be why some of my fixes didn't work, or last very long. The perfect solution would be to have one of those tiny spot welders. . .:cool:

10. R. Stratenstein

And of course, there's always the Harbor Freight route, on sale, a useable VSR drill with torque control for driving screws goes for the vicinity of $20-$25, with charger and battery, and some kits include a flashlight of sorts. You don't feel so bad when the batteries die after 2 years, and you end up with a perfectly good motor and speed control for your next pickup winder.

11. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

i was looking at that....are they any good?...i have had dewalt & craftsman....are the batteries lasting as they should when new?...are they as powerful as an 18 volt should be?...does the chuck stay shut?.. ...the reviews are OK for as many reviews there are...

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-38-in-cordless-drilldriver-and-flashlight-kit-68287.html

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My Makita 12V still running strong after about 18 years. Battery packs (lasting about 6 years) are cheaper than I can buy the batteries for a DIY. Yeah, a little heavier and slower than the new ones, but way, way more economical. Part of the battery life is how you charge them. Drain completely before charging. You are basically wasting a battery cycle by putting the battery into a charger just to have it fully charged for the next time. Oh, and don't let them freeze. That really shortens their life.

13. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The charger for Milwaukee cordless drill apparently keeps track of the number of times each battery pack has been recharged, and they guarantee a certain number - the idea wis that you take the dead batteries to a repair center with the battery pack and they replace it. I've had mine so long i doubt if anybody will remember that's how it's supposed to work.

Anyway, when a nickel-cadmium battery pack drill calls it quits, it's time to invest in lithium ion batteries which perform so much better it isn't funny. They basically hold a charge right up until they quit, without slowly winding down the amount of power they can put out. One minute the cordless sawzall is ripping away, the next minute it's quiet.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Gillette razors is the founder of that concept taught in every MBA program.
    1800s

15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

my Corded dewalt is 25 years old. Still goes through just about anything. My brother is running my dad's old Steel bodied craftsman - that things going on 50.

We're not contractors though, so it could be different.

16. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

I have 2 lithium ion 18 V Makitas that work great. One is 4 years old and I use it for work so it gets lots of use. Batteries are still going strong.

Do you guys have Battery World in the states? They'll rebuild just about any battery pack and I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying new ones.

17. R. Stratenstein

I bought that combo a while back and have been pretty impressed with it, especially for the money. I wouldn't want to depend on it to earn my living, but it's pretty darn good for homeowner use. Holds a charge a loooong time, has an LED, plenty of power, others I've owned have had typical battery life or longer.

Brian we have a chain here called Batteries Plus that sounds similar. That's where I saw that nifty little spot welder I want.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Batteries Plus fried my portable scanner battery pack trying to rebuild it. No consolation from them, so I'll never go back. I rebuilt my other pack myself, so I guess that is what I get for being too busy to take the time to DIY.

19. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I've got an 18 volt Black and Decker that I got on sale for $60.00 three years ago. Came with two batteries (NiCad). Works just fine around the house. Bought a B&D string trimmer last year, same battery.

20. R. Stratenstein

Wow, that really sucks. Seems like they'd owe you for that--if they fried the new cells from their stock trying to rebuild yours, that's their bad, not yours.

I seem to remember the one or two times I had Batteries Plus rebuild batteries, It was pretty costly, like almost as much as a new factory battery pack, plus the guy who does the work never seems to be in, so I always had to leave my gadgets there and wait until they got around to it. That's what led me to trying to do my own.

Anyway, how did you rebuild yours, did you solder new leads, or find a way to weld them, or what?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.