Cordless Chainsaw

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Since I don't do any heavy tree work anymore, i decided to go with a cordless chainsaw for general maintenance, since I already have the Ryobi 40v weedwacker, I decided to go with the 14" chainsaw from the same line.

Today I used it to take down a 30 foot tall 11" diameter willow tree of some sort. This tree was becoming a nuisance, it's very rubbery and and snow or ice load was causing it to bend and make contact with the house. Plus occasionally limbs would snap off and land in the driveway. This happened Thursday night when we had a little snow/ice storm, so it was time to go.

Getting the first three main sections down was pretty easy, but the third was leaning over the house while the main trunk had a slightly downhill lean. The tree was tall enough to take out the gutters and front windows of the house, or make contact the power supply lines coming to the house or the power lines on the street though just barely on those street lines.

Spent a good deal of time thinking and looking at it from all angles and was able to make the cuts just right so with a little push I was able to get to spin away from the house and supply lines and land across the driveway. It was a little nerve wracking, but all ended as planned.

Anyway, the point is the battery powered chainsaw was quite capable for the job, limbed, felled and cut up the tree with power to spare, was very impressed and it's nice and quiet with no fumes to smell, it's nice and light no harsh vibrations and the cut quality is very nice.

1117181215_HDR_resized.jpg 1117181222_resized.jpg

2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My younger brother swears by that Ryobi line of battery-powered tools.

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cordless & Gasless = win / win .

Andy B likes this.
  4. Bones

I have a bunch of the 18 volt tools in addition to the 40 volt stuff and I have their gas powered backpack leaf blower. Never a problem with anything. I think for the average dude, they are plenty good. Some of the 18 volt batteries I have are 8 years old and still going.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I’ve got the same exact chainsaw. I also have a big, fully gas powered Stihl... which I hardly ever use anymore because the Ryobi is just fine for almost everything.

Bones likes this.
  6. Bones

Anything that this wont handle, I'll gladly pay a pro to take down. My days of climbing big trees with a gas-powered chainsaw are in the past.

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

awesome... I got some ryobi stuff years ago... it all works, and the new batteries work in the old tools! I have a bunch of new ryobi tools too... cheap and reliable and easy to find.... I have a lot of chainsaws, but I may pick one up for what you used it for... thanks for the tip!

Bones likes this.
  8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I took down a little apple tree this summer with mine. They seem to get the job done. I don't know if I'd cut a cord of wood with it, but for trimming and cleaning up storm damage it's a winner.

Bones likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

The main thing I use my Stihl for is cleaning up when a tree goes down or gets struck by lightning on the back side of my brother-in-law’s property. There are no structures out there. He’ll call me if it’s a fruitwood or hardwood tree, cause I’ll use it for grilling and smoking.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My gas chainsaw is Ryobi.....but I got an electric (corded) from Harbor Freight for small, quick jobs. I ended up cutting down a large, twenty-four year old Bradford pear that was beginning to split apart and threaten my house with it. It did the job just fine, and I never had to worry about battery capacity.

11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I bought a Stihl battery powered blower and grass trimmer. Love them. I don’t have to deal with 100’ power cord or gas and maintenance of the engine. I have been considering the chainsaw too, maybe next summer.
    Life is good

12. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

The 18v Ryobi chainsaw sucks. Glad to hear the 40v is decent.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ryobi is killing the two stroke chainsaw industry!

I've been using 56v weed wacker and lawn mower, remarkable how much they do on a charge.

14. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love Mine

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Don't think one of these would do what my 371 Husky's done in 20 years.
    Then again I don't want to do that again either. :)

Bones likes this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

true. I have a husky 395xp that I will keep until the end... but.... my nephew and son are not crazy about even using my 460 rancher... and an electric would get me some more help, so... I'ma get one!

BobbyZ likes this.
  17. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

Ryobi is making some killer stuff these days. They are a good value. I'm a general contractor and love my Dewalt and Milwaukee tools, but I've started acquiring quite a few Ryobi tools over the last few years. Many of them have exceeded my expectations. The cordless finish gun and brad nailer have easily paid for themselves and saved me a lot of time. I do mostly small jobs and it's nice not having to haul a compressor and hose just to hang a door or install a couple rooms of baseboard. Customers appreciate not having to hear a compressor. Just recently acquired a gas leaf blower. So far so good. I try to read the reviews before purchasing a tool. Especially the reviews by professional people who know what to expect from a tool.

Bones likes this.
  18. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

Years ago I had a few Ryobi tools that were absolute garbage. A router, table saw, and drill. I haven't given them another chance yet. It's nice to hear they are producing good tools now.

19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking something in the 50cc range would be nice. The 371 has a 71cc engine nice on big stuff but on smaller things a smaller saw is just as fast. For my use another pro model Husky is probably what I'll get.
    Unless I can be convinced an electric one cuts as fast and gets a pickup load on one charge.
    Maybe they do?

20. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think that tree could be a tele...I'm just saying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.