1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Copyright and Posting Issues

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Robert H., Apr 10, 2021.

1. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wondering - Has anyone encountered copyright issues when posting or streaming your band’s cover of a copyrighted song?
    We’re trying to preempt any problem when a third party posts a cover our band is doing.
    Thanks.

Junkyard Dog and northernguitar like this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

We didn’t. Any video we posted on YouTube or elsewhere would only be partially named. For example, Whole Lotta Rosie was just ‘Rosie’.

Robert H. likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Shouldn’t be an issue. You may end up with ads on your YouTube or other vids to generate revenue for the copyright owners, and you won’t have any say in that. Depends on the site. But that’s usually the way things are done these days rather than just removing your video or cease and desisting you.

northernguitar and Robert H. like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

We got pinged in MySpace for a cover of an old Brit song. Cease and desist

Posting YouTube and news issues is usually good pr for them.

Robert H. likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Never have had an issue... There are tons on YouTube

6. Big_Vig

Big_Vig TDPRI Member

I had an "Unchain My Heart" cover blocked on YouTube after over 1,000 views over a riff from "Born Under A Bad Sign" was used in it for 28 seconds after a protest by WMG. A screenshot is attached. I offered to cut the riff out and re-post, but YouTube (Google) gave me a warning, blocked that music video, and informed me that I was listed for account termination with future copyright infringements. It seems that somewhere around the 1000 views count, your music video gets reviewed by major copyright entities and possibly YouTube (Google) itself.

Attached Files:

uriah1 likes this.
  7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow. Thanks.

Big_Vig and uriah1 like this.
  8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had a couple of copyright claims against videos I've made. One was of a party where a cousin of mine sang an Adele song.

Another was a video of me riding my motorbike dressed as Santa with two Christmas tracks I did for the Twanger Central Backing Track Challenge. That one was weird because YouTube claimed I used the melodies of the 2 original songs, one an Eagles track and the other by Mariah Carey, which is untrue as neither of those artists used rambling and sometimes off key noodling as melodies for their songs. What I think YouTube's algorithm did was pick up on the chord progressions of those tracks which as I understand it are not subject to copyright.

Big_Vig and Robert H. like this.
  9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Only on YouTube. I have received a variety of warnings from them including the threat of account deletion. This was just for amateur cell phone video/audio from a gig. I just took it down, my account was not deleted, and that was the end of it as far as I know.

Big_Vig and Robert H. like this.
  10. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

The compulsory license provision of the Copyright Act comes to mind.

In practice, what this likely means is what is said above; rather than go after everyone for a royalty, you get ads slapped on your posting. If the cover hits it big then more likely a royalty is paid in a more traditional structure.

Big_Vig likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.