Cops pulled over my kid today after work, she makes me proud

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I was once pulled over on a quiet state road on the way back from a skiing trip. It was late in the evening when the state cop pulled me over. He said, “The reason I pulled you over is because you were speeding. I clocked you on radar. Do you know how fast you were going?” “I was driving 78 mph.”(the speed limit is 45). To which he replied, “That is absolutely correct! I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

He came back after a few minutes with a pink paper and hands it to me. “I’m issuing you a written warning. There is no need to reply and no fine. The reason I’m not giving you a ticket is because you’re the first person who ever told me how fast they were actually going.”

True story.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We know we're fortunate to live where we do.

[​IMG]

ElJay370, Toto'sDad and 24 track like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Uh, bestiality is also illegal in the states!
    That moose looks scared.
    No consent!

AndyPanda and LeftFinger like this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This from DMV.ORG
    In 2015 alone, distracted driving was responsible for:

• 3,477 total deaths.
    • 3,196 fatal car wrecks.
    • 391,000 injuries.
    This by Wiki: In 2017, gun deaths reached their highest level since 1968 with 39,773 deaths by firearm, of which 23,854 were by suicide and 14,542 were homicides.

Considering how many people drive compared to how many people own firearms, which is the more present threat?

5. BigDaddyLH

:lol:

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and Torren61 like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Here in California they play a little game. There's usually two cops in a car, they stop you, one cop wants to give you a ticket, the other cop says, aww c'mon man lets just give him a break. The guy getting the ticket gets his hopes up, the bad guy cop holds out, the good guy cop finally acquiesces, and they give you a ticket. When the cops pull away they are high fiving and laughing.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just for the record, I'm in support of good cops, responsible gun owners and responsible drivers. I'm against abuse of authority.

stevemc, telemnemonics and Ironwolf like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The pic is that moment in time frozen for posterity's sake. A moment later, the guy shot the animal in the heart, and his kinsmen ran out of the trees and butchered it for supper.

10. telemnemonics

Hard to say but a lot of those who state that they wish to limit what armed police can do also state that the prefer no limit on what armed civilians can do.
    Aside form robbery/ homicide of course.

Why not both?

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Great, and congrads on a responsible child, who can drive a standard shift automobile. Definitely something to be proud of and exceptional.

I find it more important that your daughter is the exception. I'd say the numbers of young driving a straight shift AND not texting is about 1 in 200. I'd rather have officers enforcing the law, and assuming the obvious, which is one hand on the wheel means a hidden phone in the other hand, taking their lives, your lives, and my life in their "hand". I'm willing to accommodate an officer doing his job, being safe than sorry, and endure the inconvenience .5% of the time.

12. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Good for her.
    Good for him too, he might have been saving her life.

13. telemnemonics

Yeah I'll speak out against abuse of authority, but here we have a sort of abuse of autonomy with what it seems we all see as rampant dangerous driving by obsessive cell phone users.

What is really needed is drivers policing themselves.
    Drinkers in bars are expected to police themselves, and there are fewer drunk drivers than texting drivers in most areas.
    I'm not sure defending drivers right to not be stopped for possibly texting, isn't in actuality defending irresponsible drivers ease of getting away with distracted driving.

Tough situation all around.

14. BigDaddyLH

To be clear, it's not just young people using their phones while driving.

OTOH, my father would love being pulled over for that, just so he could tell the police officer, proudly, "I haven't used my cell phone in seven years!"

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And, everything that has been written in this thread so far, applies only to people who are not the same color as Drake (he’s the guy nuzzling the moose/elk above).

I think at some point that needed to be stated.

Proud parents of children of color are ones who have successfully had “the talk” with their kids and they then come home alive after an interaction with the authorities.

If they had relayed to their parents what the OP’s daughter had told him, they’d probably get grounded and the car taken away for a long long time.

o_O

Things we take for granted...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    stevemc and Wildcard_35 like this.
  16. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I was pulled over not too long ago.
    Northbound I-5 near Bakersfield.
    Mid morning, weekday.
    Clear, dry weather. Light traffic.
    Wife, child, and two other family members inside along with enough luggage for 5 people.
    No alcohol or drugs other than caffeine in my system.
    CHP officer, white, mid/late 50's.

I was allowed to drive about a half a mile to an off ramp. Once he was at my open window he let me reach for my wallet, fumble around for my registration, and I didn't necessarily keep my hands where he could see them the entire time. He was direct, but casual, and didn't ask me very many questions. I was compliant, but not overly friendly, and I didn't announce any of my actions at all. He simply ran my plate, gave me a speeding ticket, and sent me on my way. I don't think he even made me shut the engine off.

Almost everything I did could easily have been perceived as a "threat" or made the officer "nervous" and the situation could've gone south very easily. It didn't, and if you think my appearance had nothing to do with that, I'm going to have to disagree. I'm allowed to make all these mistakes. I'm free of the burden of having to carefully consider absolutely everything I do and say in front of a police officer so I don't accidentally give him legal justification for using deadly force on me.

Lots of us are very quick to make excuses for cops, but don't want to accept the glaring differences in treatment that some individuals receive.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    stevemc, Wildcard_35, cnlbb and 3 others like this.
  17. telemnemonics

Statistically true but not all of that color in low crime areas who are polite get shot by police.

And plenty of angry young white men get shot too.

While the stats tell a story, it is also a fact that treating cops like they could shoot you if you appear to be a threat can greatly increase your chances of having a benign experience, where acting confrontational and angry assures a bad experience, no matter what your skin color.

Again, not saying there is not a huge problem in areas where there is a huge problem!

You should see the arrest report pics in Maine!
    White crackheads are scary!
    It is said that "in the hood" there is nothing scarier than a crazy white boy...

It's also worth adding that I've been arrested numerous times, I've walked the worst ghetto 'hoods with a camera and not been afraid (took pics of stolen cars getting stripped), and I've stopped in at various local police stations to talk with cops about community problems.

We can be a team or we can make ourselves adversaries.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^its not equal. It’s not the same.

And - it’s not gonna change .

I don’t wanna be on a team when some of my teammates have guns and I don’t.

And I have to be polite and obsequious and they don’t.

Torren61, stevemc and cnlbb like this.
  19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

On the other hand, I would suggest that there is a problem when one side of the team demands cooperation, demands respect, and demands recognition, and at the same time does very little to actually earn all of the above. It makes team work pretty difficult...…… Just saying. Of course I'm talking in generalities, I have known a few great police officers who actually are genuine public servants. They serve with respect and genuine care for the public that they serve. I wish that could be universally said, but it is not true, at least in my experience and I've worked in and around the US criminal justice system for almost 30 years.

Torren61, stevemc and Mike Eskimo like this.
  20. telemnemonics

(I edited out the story to make the closing comment visible)

Yeah and I totally agree with that part of the bigger problem.
    So many issues like this just have no simple solution.

But in general the idea that we can reduce our chances of getting a speeding ticket when we were speeding by being polite and even nice to the officer who has the option of giving either a ticket OR a warning; is not a requirement we all cow to authority.

Nor is it a suggestion that sudden movement is a death sentence.
    My last traffic stop I was going maybe 84 in a 70 and immediately apologized for being distracted and not paying attention to my speed.
    My inspection sticker was also expired, and I could have been fined a few hundred $$.
    Got off with a warning.

I also make it a point to say hello to some cops on the street, because to a large degree they get treated like the enemy for most of their day.
    AFAIK acting positively in my community makes my community a more positive place.
    And acting negatively in my community makes my community a more negative place.
    Acting neutral neither helps nor harms.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.