Cops pulled over my kid today after work, she makes me proud

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

True enough but still confusing, at least to me.
    We have the Canadian OP who feels that it was good to challenge to cop, meaning I guess that in Canada the drivers are more trustworthy than the cops?
    We had a comment from the UK that seemed to imply that they assume US cops like shooting innocent people.

I watched a IMO very nice long youtube by a US lawyer who went on and on about being courteous and cooperative with the officer, but the poster who put up the video interpreted it as "say as little as possible".

I don't know of any country where challenging/ arguing or fighting with the police is a good idea, even if the police are all part of some terror organization in a war torn country.
    Good cop or bad cop alike, cooperating and being respectful gives us power over the situation.
    Bringing a smart mouth to a gun fight or a billy club fight (in places where cops don't have guns) is seldom the best defense!

stevemc, GuitarKid and 24 track like this.
  2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

It's pretty sad that citizens are expected to remain calm and collected in the face of a proven threat while the guy with the badge, gun, and near absolute authority apparently needs to be treated like toddler who hasn’t had a nap.

3. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

A cop friend of mine told me when he needed at date for Friday night, he would pull over a white Pontiac Grand Am. Always a cute girl inside.

He was joking, mostly.

getbent and 24 track like this.
  4. telemnemonics

It sounded like she was pleasant and reasonable with the officer, even if she did challenge his right to pull her over.
    Do you know the law in your area?
    Does an officer need to see a cell phone in a drivers hand to have cause to pull them over?
    Are there accidents in your general area caused by cell phones distracting drivers?
    It's worth noting that a cell in a dash holder can have repeated incoming texts distracting the driver, but without the driver touching the phone.

I suspect that given the new laws and changing habits, we will see refinements in the future.
    Hard to say what solutions will work and if the same solutions will fit different countries, or even rural vs city.

Businesses might even have to accept that they cannot have any form of discussion with employees who are driving.
    Talk to text might be fine for driving and holding business meetings, or another hands free method like face time, google groups, of simply hands free phone calling.
    But as society "needs" to be in constant communication while driving, almost any tech is going to distract drivers.

I personally feel that I can safely talk on the phone while driving, but that may not be true at all times for all users.

24 track likes this.
  5. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I am a huge law and order guy, but cops are often arrogant aholes. Congrats to your daughter. More people should do what she did. In my town they would have found some away to write a ticket for having an attitude. I find cops in the Connecticut to difficult.

24 track likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In the article I posted (https://globalnews.ca/news/6010793/distracted-driving-cup-holder/) it seems you get a ticket just for having your phone in a cup holder. Now if it was in a bag on the back seat, that's fine, but in that situation it could still be connected by bluetooth :confused:

24 track likes this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, very inappropriate use of authority & exactly why many people have issues with many officers.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The cop didn't see her with a phone in her hand. He just saw her with one hand on the wheel. He asked to see her phone. If the phone was within reach, he would have asked to see her phone log.

I understand that being a cop is a hard job and you have make decisions on the spot but we have rights for a reason and if we give up those rights, even just to make things easier at that moment, we make it easier to lose them permanently.

You don't have to be rude to the man with the badge and the gun to calmly and firmly assert your rights. You may have to go to court to prove your innocence, but that's not a high price to pay compared to the price some have payed for you to have your rights.

24 track and G.Rotten like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dont own or use a cell phone, but I can imaging the officer ,who in my opinion was not out of line see the texting and driving as a cause for accidents at least 9 times out of 10 and the resulting accidents can be critical on a hwy at 90 KPH , in that reguard I am glad he pulled her over , Im also glad she did not have the indications she was not texting and driving, and Im proud of her for using her logic with the officer and was not rude in the process,
    if she was texting and driving she would have deserved the ticket and her demeanor would have appeared arrogant and not improved the situation in the least, but given the circumstances she was quick on her feet and stood up for herself , and that I am proud of

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Waiting for UK member to post, "your cops have guns?!"

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We always hear bad stories of how this or that happened and I know that there are bad examples in the Police departments across the US. But, these same officers have to go through a lot everyday they serve and you can plainly see what they do go through if you watch some Live PD shows. Lesson learned is there is always two sides of every story and you have bad examples on both sides because we are all human and we can all make bad decisions.

The cop probably thought that she was on her phone, lot of wrecks happen from just that. My SIL hit the back of a parked cable truck because he was checking his phone. It really is a dangerous problem. Police have a job to do and if they stop you it may feel like an invasion of your privacy or against your rights in some cases, but acting like an a** isn't going to make things better for you.

24 track likes this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm not having a go at your kid. She sounds intelligent. Good on her. I have a problem with the fact that a cop can pull you over with no evidence of a violation. One hand on the wheel is not a crime nor is it evidence of one.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Cell phones are on their way! One in four accidents have been attributed to people using them as the cause for the crash. When you combine drunk and cell phone distracted drivers, pretty soon there'll be a lottery you can participate in that bets on your chances of driving to the store and back without getting killed.

24 track, telemnemonics and Torren61 like this.
  14. telemnemonics

At the same time, a citizen in a safe community will open the door when an unseen stranger knocks, but a citizen in a crime stricken community will probably not be so ready to assume the best.
    And a citizen who has experienced a home invasion, living in an area where they are common, will be wary and may even be armed.
    Can we view officers as similar to citizens who have experienced home invasions attacks?

Should individuals who have been shot at by strangers, and whose peers have been shot to death by strangers, not be wary of strangers?
    And might a citizen who knows they are an unknown subject in the presence of an individual who might have been shot the last time they pulled a car over, do well to choose to not behave in a manner that might alarm the officer who works a job where we the John Q Public often shoot him?

Or say an officer responds to a noise complaint and a home invasion criminal who just robbed a family is coming out the front door as cops arrive.
    Should the cops assume the criminal is a nice citizen and not question them as if it's possible that they are actually criminals, and that the family inside was just attacked and may need medical attention?

How much can we demand officers assume the best when pulling over cars that appeared to be breaking the law?
    If we demand they not investigate until after they witness a crime, are we really made safer?
    Based on the common opinion that we are not safe because officers are allowed to question us?
    If your home is invaded, do you hope the cops don't inconvenience your attackers with questions?

Then if we assume that cops get attacked on the job, say you were just attacked and the cops come.
    Would you hope they were nice to you?
    Maybe even treat you like "a toddler who hasn't had a nap"?
    I reckon some assault victims aren't treated nice by responding officers.
    We might still bear in mind that most officers have been assault victims themselves.

I'm not sure acting courteous is the same as the more inflammatory toddler who hasn't had a nap concept.
    I think courteous behavior in a traffic stop is what is suggested of citizens, including not making sudden moves that could be pulling out a gun. By the time the few citizens who are indeed pulling out a gun shoot the cop, he will barely have had time to reach for his gun, never mind unsnap the holster, pull out the weapon and **** it.
    But as a courtesy to the presumed innocent, cops are not generally pointing their gun at you when they walk up to your window.
    Even though their job is to catch those who go around shooting innocent people.

24 track and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My IPHONE already turns off notices when you are driving and if you pick it up says it won’t work when you are driving. You can turn it off but I don’t. My phone already reacts to GPS. I will answer a call with Bluetooth.

telemnemonics and 24 track like this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Oh I get that , but it scares the hell out of me with texting and driving because we are in a semi arrid area that is prone to immediate and sudden winter conditioins this time of year ( the show Highway through hell is filmed less than 100 KM away from here) and once the white stuff hits and temps hover around Zero degrees , an accident prevented is a good thing , her focus with the cop was more about her age group being young , there fore she was upto no good while driving but she prooved him wrong on that point.

Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. telemnemonics

Yeah, we got the new law that it's illegal to even touch your phone while driving less than a month ago.
    I've been wondering how it will play out.
    One scenario is drivers getting pulled over more often despite not texting while driving.
    Another scenario is that cops only stop drivers who are talking, but miss the more dangerous texting drivers because texting is di=one with the phone held lower where it cannot be seen from a cruiser.

If drivers are not getting stopped much more, and texters continue knowing that they can get away with it, we will have the same number of accidents and those whose families are killed or injured by distracted drivers will demand even more strict laws.

I'm not sure our demand that cops not stop cars unless the texting is done above dashboard height is going to improve our freedom from "unfair" traffic stops in the long run.

24 track and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. telemnemonics

That's a great feature but likely only used by those who do not text while driving.

I'm really really curious how this will play out in the next few years.
    Hope I don't get put in the hospital, a wheelchair or a casket before the solution is found!

Edit: New cars with GPS driving directions have that system's programming disabled when the car is moving.
    You have to park to program in a destination.

Could be the same happens with all cell phones if we don't want unfair stops.
    Maybe no cell phone will work in any car, even for passengers.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    stevemc and 24 track like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Out here in the land of fruits and nuts, the cops have the additional problem when trying to spot people using their phones, in that the windows are tinted so dark that you can't see inside the car with a 20,000,000 power spotlight. The super dark tinting is also unlawful, but so prevalent that I think the cops just gave up on enforcing it.

telemnemonics and 24 track like this.
  20. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Here in the states, the moment she challenged the officer, it would have gone downhill. There would have at least been a ticket. This is coming from personal experience. Doesn't matter how polite you are, either.

cnlbb and 24 track like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.