Cops pulled over my kid today after work, she makes me proud

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Son, come here to Phoenix Arizona and try that stunt. Here is what will happen, you will either attempt to drive away from fright or you will be down on the pavement with a cop on your back that had too many of you that day. The 2nd you do that, they push a button for backup. A lot of people die with your type of philosophy. You could be legally right and dead.

24 track likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Anyone been stopped for righteous nose picking?

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Gripping the steering wheel at 8 and 4 has been the recommended position for some time but it has nothing to do with air bags. It actually predates airbags. 8 and 4 is the most efficient/effective way to turn the wheel by "pushing upwards" to move it as opposed to "pulling it" down from a position with the hands higher up on the wheel. This is how it's taught to professional race car drivers as well as for some commercial driving.

24 track and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Greggorios

Congrats to you both on a job well done!

24 track likes this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Actually taxis have that where I live. A phone or pad in the hands-free for app orders and GPS, and a phone or two (perhaps one for business, and one for family and friends) on the dashboard they use with their hands. All have stick shift in their car.

24 track likes this.
  6. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

I'm 62.

About 50 years ago, my father told me never get nasty or insult a police officer, as they are people and have feelings too.

And if a police officer wants to arrest you, go with him and do not argue or fight; we'll straighten it out later.

Good advice, which I never had to use.

Your daughter thinks on her feet, very good!

Mike. ;)

24 track and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I hope I do not derail this thread, but I think a young lady has a better chance of getting away with questioning an officer than a beer bellied old guy in a bumched shrit.

24 track, teleman1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That is a terrific story, and it's good to hear it all turned out well. My golfing buddy who drives if not like a manic, someone who is very close to being one, got stopped one day. He was doing 85 in a 55 it turned out, but when the cop asked him; Do you know how fast you were going? Freddy says, no but I bet you do!

24 track likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

No you're not! :lol::lol::lol:

24 track likes this.
  10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

That's what cops do isn't it?

boneyguy and 24 track like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My son got pulled over the other day because his license plate light was out. Officer also noticed during the stop that his inspection sticker was due the month before (typically we get a month's grace period). So my son gets home and tells us and we asked if he got a ticket.
    "Nope, just a citation" he says.

We tell him that a citation is a ticket and he give us this look.

upload_2019-10-15_9-34-56.jpeg

24 track, Pualee and getbent like this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

glad nothing crazy and terrible happened! relief!

24 track likes this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Google knows the truth... everything.

24 track likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I drove a big rig over a million miles and I don't think I even accidently landed my hands at 8 and 4. For many years 10 and 2 was the taught procedure, but most of the time your hand was in the middle of the top of the steering wheel because in the day before high torque low rev engines you had to hold the engine between 1800 and 2100 rpm and you were busy shifting gears with your other hand. Before the Road Ranger, and Spicer transmissions, (and variants) when many trucks, maybe even most trucks were equipped with double boxed transmissions you had your left hand sticking through the steering wheel in order to shift both transmissions at the same time. Forty years ago, driving truck took some skill, and lots of luck.

15. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

16. Toto'sDad

Good advice. I can tell you with some certainty that if an officer wishes to arrest you, fight or no fight you're going to be arrested. If you fight the arrest, and they overcome you, and put you in the car, the fight IS NOT OVER. It will conclude once they have you safely ensconced in a jail cell with your hands handcuffed behind your back. All that stuff about rights and such, is TV fair, they are KING at their house. There is theory, and then there's reality. As one Mr. Cool Hand Luke once said, "my mind's right boss."

24 track likes this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Stick.

“Kids these days don’t even know how to drive a stick !”

You have no idea what kind of upbringing they’ve had.
    The state of their marriage.
    You have no idea what kind of psychological damage they received in the armed forces.
    Whether or not they were an MP.
    The reason they became a cop in the first place.

Phoenix, Schmoenix - Just don’t go shopping with your pregnant wife and young daughter and you should be fine. I think there’s one other very important angle to that story but we can’t discuss that here…

I totally get what your dad was saying then , but that was 50 yrs ago.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Kudos to your daughter. Now, am I the only one who sees a problem here? So a cop can pull you over because he says he saw you driving with one hand on the wheel and then demand to see your phone? Then isn’t he doing a search of your phone? So you’re required to have both hands on the wheel at all times or risk getting pulled over and searched? What if I’m adjusting the heat, radio, window? Driving a standard, scratching my butt, smoking a cigarette or putting my coffee cup back? What if you had just ended a hands free call? I’m not handing over my phone. But then, I’m of European decent. I can afford the risk. (That means I have enough money to go to court over it, not that I’m worried I’d get shot.)

cnlbb likes this.
  19. Greggorios

Makes perfect sense and I don't doubt it. I was taught 10 and 2 too. I heard the 8&4 thing from 2 guys I knew who were aspiring race car drivers using paddle shifters on the wheel. Years later I was doing field work for communications companies and that's what was taught as SOP to get certified. It felt weird at first but I think it makes sense when you consider the mechanics of the arms/arm muscles. In most cases "pushing" something is more efficient than "pulling something".

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I live in Canada as well ...

IMO, I would never talk to an officer in that manner, and I hope my children don't. I wouldn't insinuate anything, I would just point out the fact (eg: the phone was at the bottom of a bag and I drive a standard) then left it at that... I would not have questioned the officer on his intent.

This story ended well, but in another part of the country, or even with another officer it might not have.

If I was ticketed and went to traffic court... that's where I would stand firmly against the officer.... when he didn't have 100% of the control ;)

jbmando, 24 track and teletimetx like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.