1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Copper tape noise......

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Ghostdriver, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Okay,
    So I built a Tele last year, all good until I picked up last week and terrible crackling on every setting, three way switch etc standard pots. The noise was apparent when turning vol knob and moving switch and generally jiggling it about.
    Now I would say checking all soldered joints, the soldering was really superb on this.

anyways, long story short, the cavity was lined with copper tape, which I put in on good authority from various websites.

I ripped all this out, put it back together and hey presto, no issues at all.

I guess some parts were either touching and earthing out creating the noise from the copper tape. So in trying to avoid issues I simply created them with this damn tape!

any thoughts ?

2. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It would been a lot easier to put electrical tape over the copper.

But if it was fine for a year, I doubt it suddenly started shorting out.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

That may have been the issue, or something else was and taking apart and reassembling things fixed that.

Steve Holt and Telecentric like this.
  4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Too bad you removed all the tape. It's most likely not the culprit.

Teles are famous for their pickguards gathering static electricity and causing all sorts of scratchy havoc.

Nightclub Dwight and unixfish like this.
  5. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

Yep, my pickguard had that static issue. I covered the whole of the underside with copper tape which I then earthed by just wrapping a bit of the tape down onto a pickup side where it stuck through underneath. (OK, I know that bit is rough, but I couldn't be bothered to get the soldering iron out - if it fails, I'll do it properly). Anyway, bottom line is that it fully solved the issue.

Telenator likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with the tape on the shielding , but this proves there are more than one way to solve the problem at hand , now if in situation where the tele gets interference then maybe the shielding may be your reolve .

glad this worked for you

7. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Yep, wires can touch the tape and short out. One way to prevent this is to cover your pot terminals and exposed wire bits with electrical tape.

8. maj34

maj34 Tele-Holic

If a single coil guitar transitions into a "keeper" it gets copper foil treatment in my house. I've never regretted it yet, so obviously I fall into the camp "it doesn't deteriorate tone at all, it just takes away noise".

Stew Mac may have the best customer service on the planet, but the "conductive" adhesive on their copper tape sucks. In my experience it loses conductivity and adjacent strips start showing 10s of ohms resistance.

Lesson learned, all my copper gets a blob of solder. Looks ugly, reads 0 ohms.

If your guitar relied on conductive copper tape that began to fail, I believe it could have been the problem; it could have been loading up charge like a balloon against your hair and then various things like turning a pot allowed some of it to discharge somewhere somehow. EMF is a weird thing.

The better fix would have been the solder though IMHO!

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my experience, the first thing I check when I hear crackling like that is the output jack and output cable. Then I wade upstream methodically. I have done 6 guitars with the same roll of copper tape from S/M. No problems yet, but I will note that these guitars do not leave my house, so they see little temperature change. The only issue I have had with copper shielding is signal carrying lugs contacting the tape and shorting out - often the output jack - but the 3-way switch is another potential source of unwanted grounds to the foil. That being said, I will still shield noisy guitars with copper/aluminum tape.

10. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

In my experience copper tape has always been a disaster. If you play at home fine. But if you travel to gigs etc copper tape will eventually loosen and short.
    If I need to shield a guitar I use either paint or speed tape.If it doesn;t come off a wing it won't come loose inside a guitar.

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I buy my adhesive copper tape and adhesive copper foil sheets from Delphi Glass (stained glass supplies). Way cheaper than the moocho dinero Guitar Shielding Tape. I never trust conductive adhesive anyway, so I add a dot of solder to each successive seam to ensure continuity through the shielding.

Even cheaper, if you can find it locally, is anti-slug/snail tape, designed for use on potted plants. The little snot-trail critters dont like slithering over copper.

And you thought "pot taper" was an electronics term...

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.