Coolest Car You Ever Owned?

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a mid-70s Ford Capri for cash after returning from tech school because I needed a car and it seemed like it would work ok. It handled like a sports car and was the most fun I've ever had with a car.

capri_mk1-2782997629.jpg

Then I sold it for a newer model Jeep CJ-7 that spent most of its life with the hood up. Wish I still had that Ford. Still occasionally dream that I'm driving it. And I've never been a car nut.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Not everyone would consider it cool, but I have a 1997 Miata with the factory race (R) package. I've owned it since 1998. It's the 34th of 47 cars built for homologation in SCCA showroom stock racing that year. It's basically a base model car (cloth seats, no power steering, manual mirrors, etc...) with stiff Bilstein shocks, stiff sway bars, a Torsen limited slip differential, aluminum wheels, spoilers, and a few other small changes.
When I bought it, I was looking to replace my MGB with a base model Miata that I was going to mildly modify (changes similar to the R package) and stumbled upon it at a local dealership. I actually paid less for it because, besides me, who wants a car with manual steering and no air conditioning.
I like to keep sticky tires on it (Dunlop Direzza Zii Star Spec, at the moment), not because of ultimate grip, but for sharper turn in and better feel. Plus, there's limited tire availability in the little 185/60-14 tires this car takes- it's either crappy all season tires or extreme performance summer tires, with little in between.

It's only been used during the summer, maintained well and is in great shape.
I still love the car- it's a blast to drive and I know it like an old friend.

40064226640_6c240df883_b.jpg
Nice!

We were tempted by one, but you can't make it Down South without AC. And, the "R" we tested was white so no deal.

I'm sitting in my S-2000 with the AC on full blast, and I'm not even in New Orleans today - I'm in the mountains of NC.

red57strat

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Nice!

We were tempted by one, but you can't make it Down South without AC. And, the "R" we tested was white so no deal.

I'm sitting in my S-2000 with the AC on full blast, and I'm not even in New Orleans today - I'm in the mountains of NC.
I'm fortunate to live in a place where I can drive top down with no AC all summer. Unfortunately, the winters are long and the roads are heavily salted so the car sits for almost 5 months of the year!

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm fortunate to live in a place where I can drive top down with no AC all summer. Unfortunately, the winters are long and the roads are heavily salted so the car sits for almost 5 months of the year!
I hear you. These Miatas are very robust, but getting road brine on them is a no-no for sure. This 2003 SE we have was used only sparingly around Washington DC a couple winters, but all the bits underneath have a not insignificant amount of surface rust. I'm planning to R + R the rear struts and etc. and it won't be the easy job it might have been.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a mid-70s Ford Capri for cash after returning from tech school because I needed a car and it seemed like it would work ok. It handled like a sports car and was the most fun I've ever had with a car.

View attachment 994649

Then I sold it for a newer model Jeep CJ-7 that spent most of its life with the hood up. Wish I still had that Ford. Still occasionally dream that I'm driving it. And I've never been a car nut.

In the late 70s, those made a cool group 5 race car. I forget who said it, but “it looked like they’d been run over by a steamroller”.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Beautiful. RS2600 or 3100?
We didn't use those model designations in the US. The first series Capris in the US were the 1600 and 2000cc four cylinder engines, and then they added the 2600 V-6 in '72 and '73. In 1974 they bumped it up to 2800cc, and we never got the 3100. The model name was just "Capri" with a badge showing the displacement. My 1973 had the 2600 with a four speed stick, and the "Ghia" interior package.

DesmoDog

Tele-Afflicted
We didn't use those model designations in the US. The first series Capris in the US were the 1600 and 2000cc four cylinder engines, and then they added the 2600 V-6 in '72 and '73. In 1974 they bumped it up to 2800cc, and we never got the 3100. The model name was just "Capri" with a badge showing the displacement. My 1973 had the 2600 with a four speed stick, and the "Ghia" interior package.
And they weren't marketed as Ford's here, they were Mercurys.

A friend of mine had a V6 version in high school. It was a fun car, I've got a few stories... but the best is probably a night I was borrowing it, had three friends with me. I turned down the wrong street and just as a passenger was correcting me, the car hit some ice and did a slow half spin. We ended up pointed the other direction in the correct lane so I just drove off like I meant to do that.

A couple years ago I saw one in the parking lot at a car event. I took a picture and sent it to my friend. After sending it, I noticed there was a Lamborghini in the background. I knew I was jaded when I realized I didn't care and spent more time looking over the Capri.

red57strat

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I hear you. These Miatas are very robust, but getting road brine on them is a no-no for sure. This 2003 SE we have was used only sparingly around Washington DC a couple winters, but all the bits underneath have a not insignificant amount of surface rust. I'm planning to R + R the rear struts and etc. and it won't be the easy job it might have been.
The original owner of my car leased it from a dealership in Rhode Island in May 1997 and drove it to Florida. They drove it back the following May and returned it to the dealership (it was a 1 year lease). I bought it from the same dealership in August 1998, so it has never seen snow and is completely rust free.
I paid $10,000 less than they paid for the car! It was near the end of the convertible season, no one wanted the car, and the dealer wanted it gone.

grandstick

Tele-Holic
My ex-wife inherited a 2017 Chevy SS when her brother passed away a couple years ago. It's a very unassuming, 4-door sedan - based on the Impala. The secret is the 4.6L, 416hp V8, six-speed manual transmission, and Brembo brakes.

The car was made in Australia by GM subsidiary Holden, where this car is known as the Commodore.

She was out driving it one day, when 2 sportier cars pulled up alongside her at the stop light. They were revving their engines, apparently preparing to race each other. When the light turned green, she punched the gas, leaving the other two in her rearview mirror.

They caught up with her at the next light, and saw that they had been smoked by this dowdy, middle-aged woman in a four-door sedan. She smiled at them, and watched them race off again when the light changed.

She hasn't let me drive it yet, and I have a spotless record (zero tickets, zero accidents), compared to her numerous speeding tickets.

Some day...

2017-chevy-ss-white-1688234983.png

grandstick

Tele-Holic
My son's first car was his grandfather's 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. He was so bummed when he found out his grandfather was giving him his old land yacht - he always dreamed of having a "cool car."

That all changed when I informed him that this car had the 260hp, LT1 engine from the Corvette. That gave him supreme bragging rights amongst all of his buddies who were still driving their mothers' old Corolas and Civics.

With room for 8, and the ability to smoke the tires at will, he was king of the neighborhood. Fortunately, he is a very responsible person, and has only ever racked up a ticket for an unauthorized U-turn.

Random people would honk and wave at him as he drove by - it turned out to be a very popular model of car.

It developed the issue where it would shut off during rainstorms (common with this engine), and he never got around to fixing it. His mother sold it last year. He bought a Honda CRV to replace it.

(not a photo of his actual car, but same color scheme)

roadmaster.jpeg

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
My high school music teacher actually let me borrow his GTO to take my girlfriend to the prom….such an amazing car and I never forgot it….I dream about owning a fully restored GTO right down to the Red Lines….probably not going to happen considering what they cost….but it’s nice to dream.

His car was just like this one:

yELgR8i.jpg

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
In the 80s I had a dark blue '71 Camaro that had been done up nicely by the previous owner. Not a Z28 but the 350 V8 had racing cams, a Holley 4-barrel, headers & glasspacks, Hurst shifter, posi rear, stiff shocks, and nice mags: bigger in back with fat tires under fender flares. Spoilers front & back. And leather bucket seats, supposedly from an old Corvette.

Sweet ride - dangerously frisky on wet roads, though. Also, the thing was a cop magnet.
Still, I missed it when it was lost to a flood.

Looked like this one, but with oversize wheels in back.
1658614971810.png

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I've had a laundry list of high performance sports cars.... but the coolest car I ever had.... '06 Saab 9-3X, mild tune, triple black with limo tint. Other cars people would get in and expect to be fast, or luxury or other... folks were always surprised by everything about the Saab. 300hp All wheel drive, and surprisingly fun and competent at speed.