Coolest Car You Ever Owned?

jumpnblues

Friend of Leo's
Chopped '40 Chevy two door sedan, twice "Z'd", tilted A and B pillars, back glass laid down, Mustang II front end/clip, tubbed, 496" (bored and stroked 454) Chevy big block, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Comp Cams hydraulic full roller cam, Scat crank, Eagle rods, custom headers, 4" exhaust, Hilborn 8 stack programmable electronic fuel injection, MSD ignition, beefed 700R4 4 speed overdrive transmission, 2800 rpm stall converter, Ford 9" 3:70 posi, and Curry axles.

Best thing about the car is I own it. It's a blast to drive and looks super cool. I think so anyway. Wish I had better pics. The interior is cream tuck and roll. The car dynoes right at 500 hp at the rear wheels. Not all that much by today's standards. But plenty for me. It rips and snorts purdy guud. ;)

20210507_184500.jpg
20210507_184544.jpg
20210507_184439.jpg

Last edited:

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I’ve had quite a few I wish I had back. My 1 st in high school was a ‘55 F100 Ford pickup. I lived in SoCal at the time. We’d put our surf boards in the back, crank up The Beach Boys, Doors, Beatles, Stones on the 4 track Pioneer stereo and hit the beach. Dirt bikes car parts, the few times I gigged the truck hauled it. The next would be a ‘67 Camero either of them. One was a standard 210hp 327 with a Powerglide. Simple and fun. The other was a RS with the hide away headlights, a Quadrajet on a 350 ci with a Turbo 350 tranny. I’d changed the rear quarter panels and thought I had the rust taken care of. Sold it when the paint started popping out.
I’m currently working on a ‘67 VW vert that will be similar to one I’d helped build in the early 70s. Yukon Yellow with a 2180 race engine. My friend bought it stock from his sister. We built a close ratio gearbox with a beefed differential. This would handle the estimated 170 hp the 2180 put out. It won many a street race against Chevy, Fords and Dodges.
I’m in the parts gathering stages but have the car doing rust repair, and suspension work.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My first! Mercury Comet in questionable green. I miss my Rabbit and my Nissan Versa Note. I love small yet speedy cars.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
I will post the 3 of them I own actually:

Mercedes 300CE (C124) '91
F61F5FBF-B570-48D1-8F79-EB85C3FBDFF2_1_201_a.jpeg

Toyota Land Cruiser 2.5TD (BJ73) '91
8A23F20C-3680-41C5-833F-6A300421C6EE_1_201_a.jpeg

Porsche 911 Carrera Targa (996) '02
F11B0F62-CB26-4E79-88EC-16F44E42A6B4_1_201_a.jpeg

Yep, Coupé is a go go to me.
TLC is the unique concession I gave to diesel in my life.

Last edited:

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
I bought this International Scout in 1996 from the founder and Director of the Bigfoot Research Project, Peter Byrne. He had used it to go out searching for bigfoot in the Oregon and Washington Cascades. He also had taken it on safari in Africa and claims that he guided Queen Elizabeth in it. My local mechanic confirmed that he had installed the winch on the vehicle before Peter had it shipped to Africa. The passenger door was swapped out a different color, Peter claimed because the original was gored by a rhino.

724CB333-499C-4255-A312-987483002550.jpeg

Driver3

Tele-Meister
Not everyone would consider it cool, but I have a 1997 Miata with the factory race (R) package. I've owned it since 1998. It's the 34th of 47 cars built for homologation in SCCA showroom stock racing that year. It's basically a base model car (cloth seats, no power steering, manual mirrors, etc...) with stiff Bilstein shocks, stiff sway bars, a Torsen limited slip differential, aluminum wheels, spoilers, and a few other small changes.
When I bought it, I was looking to replace my MGB with a base model Miata that I was going to mildly modify (changes similar to the R package) and stumbled upon it at a local dealership. I actually paid less for it because, besides me, who wants a car with manual steering and no air conditioning.
I like to keep sticky tires on it (Dunlop Direzza Zii Star Spec, at the moment), not because of ultimate grip, but for sharper turn in and better feel. Plus, there's limited tire availability in the little 185/60-14 tires this car takes- it's either crappy all season tires or extreme performance summer tires, with little in between.

It's only been used during the summer, maintained well and is in great shape.
I still love the car- it's a blast to drive and I know it like an old friend.

40064226640_6c240df883_b.jpg
Beautiful!
I unfortunately had to sell mine.
I had a Sprite at one time. 63 with mark2 body but clip in windows.
Also had a Datsun 2000.
I put a set of FatCat Motorsports bump stops on it. Let the shocks work.
Where I live now has some fantastic roads.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
In High school it was a 73’ VW Thing and 73’ Ghia. Yeah fighting the women with a stick……
634CF5D1-4007-4A4B-ACE0-CEE3A36B8DFC.jpeg
8DFF7C23-FF49-4BCF-AB1E-ED20ADC6432F.jpeg

As playing became a soul killing experience in the late 90’s I started getting into cars again. First it was Volkswagens Beetles and busses. My favorite car of all time was my 65’Kombi. There just something special about a split window bus. Hard to drive, dangerously slow but at least they break down a lot… and the best vehicle ever made! If you are VW fanatic you’ll know what I mean.

I stumbled into a kit car version of a MGTD for dirt cheap. Assembled it drove it for two years and sold it for 4x what I had in it. Fun car. (Internet photo not mine)
7E411C4F-25CA-4616-B26E-40B1637B400B.jpeg

After that I got a basket case Bradley GTII for dirt cheap and through a ton of hard work into it drove it for a while and sold at a loss even if I considered my labor at minimum wage.. terrible car lol! But I was having fun working on it. These 70’s kit cars are a special kind of bad… (internet pic)
08CD3DBE-58CA-48EB-826F-DAA9317CCD06.jpeg

The next was a Sterling GT which was sorta Dino’esque with a door that I came to hate. You layed down in this car and getting out of it was awful. (internet pic)
CC386033-B5BE-46EC-A2D1-1B4086DCE637.jpeg
4CF70066-21E6-4A9A-B122-C7FC67F2866B.jpeg

Finally I built a Lotus Seven+4 (4” wider frame) with a Hyabusa motor cycle engine. If you are familiar with these, they are built completely by hand. I still have the frame welding fixture my garage. I got it to a rolling chasis with all the hand fabbed fenders hood, bonnet, fuel tank, inboard spring front end suspension, dedion rear suspension and was fitting the engine when my son‘s health got worse, we were in battle mode. it was years later when I sold it as it sat. By then we needed music again and that was that…

The coolest car I’ve ever driven was my 65’VW Kombi. I miss having my knee caps as my first line of defense in a head-on.

Last edited:

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
I had a '74 El Camino SS, that thing was beautiful. I finally got rid of it after the third time it caught fire. Oddly enough, the fires weren't even the most frustrating part of owning that car. Calling it a lemon would be an understatement of galactic proportions.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Boy, I was never found of seeing myself in pictures so I never owned a camera for most of my life (yes kids, the old days before phones). That said, here are my answers:

1. Coolest owned?

I have owned a lot of what would be called very cool cars, but the funnest by far turned out to be a 1969 VW Baja. The interior was factory done in TJ Mexico out of crush velvet, had 31" Wild Country rear tires with zero air pressure (the sidewalls were strong enough to hold the bead on such a light vehicle), one under-seat battery compartment was converted to a beer cooler, limo tinted windows, a peculator flap over the stinger exhaust pipe so it sounded like a tractor, a built dual port motor that put out 74 hp (nearly double a normal bug), and it was haunted.

Okay, not actually haunted, but it had an electrical gremlin involving the headlights. If I was driving with the headlights on, I could turn off and remove the key while still driving. It had no effect on the ignition until I turned off the headlights, then it would shut down. I used to pull up to people, remove the key and leave it running while I went in to get a drink. They would all look confused and I told them that it was custom wired that way for security reasons.

The best feature though was that it could smoke the tires like a dragster, people actually believed it was the fasted thing around. I filled the washer bottle with bleach / water and routed the hose to a nozzle in front of the back tires instead of to the windshield. A few squirts of the bleach onto the tires and they would spin and smoke like a fire at the tire factory.

Loved that car. It rolled onto its side one afternoon while being followed by the high school track team. I was showing off and tried to drift the corner ahead of them, but the tires grabbed too much and rolled over and skid across the street into the far curb. I bounced off my fat friend in the passenger seat, through the windshield (which had already popped off) and landed in a sitting position on the grass as the track team passed by. I just waved like nothing just happened, and they just kept on going.

I still drove that thing for another year even though it was a little oblonged in shape. Once I got onto base, they refused to let it pass safety inspections so I had to sell it.

2. Coolest car that I drove which I didn't own?

That would be a Pantera owned by one of my Dad's customers. I had to test drive it after a head gasket repair and I flogged that thing like any 16 year old would. Scary fast, but noisy as hell with the motor right there in the back seat.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
In High school it was a 73’ VW Thing and 73’ Ghia. Yeah fighting the women with a stick……
View attachment 994473 View attachment 994474
As playing became a soul killing experience in the late 90’s I started getting into cars again. First it was Volkswagens Beetles and busses. My favorite car of all time was my 65’Kombi. There just something special about a split window bus. Hard to drive, dangerously slow but at least they break down a lot… and the best vehicle ever made! If you are VW fanatic you’ll know what I mean.

I stumbled into a kit car version of a MGTD for dirt cheap. Assembled it drove it for two years and sold it for 4x what I had in it. Fun car. (Internet photo not mine)
View attachment 994460

After that I got a basket case Bradley GTII for dirt cheap and through a ton of hard work into it drove it for a while and sold at a loss even if I considered my labor at minimum wage.. terrible car lol! But I was having fun working on it. These 70’s kit cars are a special kind of bad… (internet pic)
View attachment 994468

The next was a Sterling GT which was sorta Dino’esque with a door that I came to hate. You layed down in this car and getting out of it was awful. (internet pic)
View attachment 994475 View attachment 994476

Finally I built a Lotus Seven+4 (4” wider frame) with a Hyabusa motor cycle engine. If you are familiar with these, they are built completely by hand. I still have the frame welding fixture my garage. I got it to a rolling chasis with all the hand fabbed fenders hood, bonnet, fuel tank, inboard spring front end suspension, dedion rear suspension and was fitting the engine when my son‘s health got worse, we were in battle mode. it was years later when I sold it as it sat. By then we needed music again and that was that…

The coolest car I’ve ever driven was my 65’VW Kombi. I miss having my knee caps as my first line of defense in a head-on.
I watched my Dad build a lot of those VW based kit cars growing up. They would off-load a giant crate like a kid's model car kit and 2 weeks later it was rolling down the street. We did a lot of Manx dune buggies and Bradley GT's back then...always found them the most fun to drive before the bodies were installed. Just an adult go cart at that stage of life.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I still own my 1965 VW Beetle in black, and I still use it. Birth year car, and it growls like a tiger when I floor it lol. Seriously, I've had it for about 5 years now, I think it will out live me. My wife thinks I'm nuts keeping it, but it's my forever car.
I would love to own one again myself. I loved when people would ask what it had under the hood and being able to reply "the spare tire".

Quacky

Tele-Meister
Thought of this because of a question on the “Interview The Person Below You” thread…posted it as an individual thread on another website, but thought it would be interesting here as well.

What is the coolest car you’ve ever owned?

What’s the coolest car you’ve ever driven (but not owned)?

The coolest car I ever owned was my first car—a 1964 2-door hardtop Ford Falcon Futura, painted Fiesta Red by a previous owner.

It originally had a 200 straight-six engine, but I pulled that and crammed in a 302 pulled from a ‘77 Mercury (bored 30 over, slapped on some 351W heads, a Carter AFB Carburetor, Edelman Torquer II intake and some Herman Hedders)…scared all the Camaros in town until somebody popped the hood and realized I had “upgraded”…

1895553B-A262-4023-B261-1A6B82D0F09D.jpeg

38634CF6-E4EF-493A-A748-9416692B728E.jpeg

The coolest car I’ve ever driven is a toss-up between:
(1) a mid-1950’s Porshe a man in my hometown had restored…he was a customer at the old oil and lube I worked at when I was in college, and when he came in to have his Porshe inspected, he asked, “Is that your old Ford out there?” When I said yes, he said, “Take this baby around the block…the way you take care of that thing, it’s obvious you appreciate old cars…”

Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of it (camera phones weren’t in existence in 1989, and I didn’t carry a camera around)…but it was a really cool little red coupe, similar in style to the “Little Bastard” that James Dean was driving when he was killed (yes, I’m aware his was silver, but the me one I drove was red). I didn’t drive it fast (it wasn’t my car and I had a passing resemblance to James Dean in those days—I like irony, but not that much!)…but it was a cool little spin around the block.

-or-

(2) a 1956 Ford Fairlane my father restored right after he retired…it’s an upgraded re-creation of the first “good” car of his youth. He said he spent my inheritance on it, but I don’t care…if it makes him happy, that’s ok.

76C88E25-F1FD-4225-8945-AF4D9BF61405.jpeg

630813E3-70C1-4FCA-8630-4730803A3937.jpeg

92B89EA7-22F7-40A3-BBD5-350A1D9CD5AC.jpeg

Quacky

Tele-Meister
I had a 62 Falcon as my first and I'll never forget those fold down front seats and sitting in the backseat with my girlfriend at the Drive - in movies. My second car was a 64 Chevy Impala and my third was a 66 Ford Mustang pony car. I wish I had the foresight to keep them but in the mid seventies they were all just cheap transportation cars. $400 to $700 a piece

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Jeep Wrangler TJ -- thinking about it reminds me of an era in my life full of joy, exploration, anticipation... Damn I miss that car.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I had a 62 Falcon as my first and I'll never forget those fold down front seats and sitting in the backseat with my girlfriend at the Drive - in movies. My second car was a 64 Chevy Impala and my third was a 66 Ford Mustang pony car. I wish I had the foresight to keep them but in the mid seventies they were all just cheap transportation cars. $400 to $700 a piece

My first car was a white/red vinyl 1962 Ford Falcon Futura with 'three in the tree.' Dad bought it for me for $500 in 1978. Like you, wish I would have appreciated it more. Though I was thankful he bought me a car--and it was quite reliable--I felt it was sort of dorky, and some of my buddies had 'cool' cars. Wish I had that thing now! It was in really good condition.

Oh, and with that 3-speed column shift, that sucker had to be at a DEAD STOP before you could drop it into first haha. Also, it had a tube AM radio.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I watched my Dad build a lot of those VW based kit cars growing up. They would off-load a giant crate like a kid's model car kit and 2 weeks later it was rolling down the street. We did a lot of Manx dune buggies and Bradley GT's back then...always found them the most fun to drive before the bodies were installed. Just an adult go cart at that stage of life.
Those Bradley GTIIs were shockingly crappy kit cars! The guy I sold that car to bought it simply for the windshield. Kit cars often used parts from ‘donor vehicles’. The windshield was a Lambo Muria P400. Manx dune buggies are worth a fortune now lol!! I would love to have one now…
The Sterling GT had been built on a ‘proper’ frame with IRS front and Dedion rear suspension. You could drive it like that if you were willing to hold a gas can lol.

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Those Bradley GTIIs were shockingly crappy kit cars! The guy I sold that car to bought it simply for the windshield. Kit cars often used parts from ‘donor vehicles’. The windshield was a Lambo Muria P400. Manx dune buggies are worth a fortune now lol!! I would love to have one now…
The Sterling GT had been built on a ‘proper’ frame with IRS front and Dedion rear suspension. You could drive it like that if you were willing to hold a gas can lol.
You are so right, my Dad used to cuss up a storm building the Bradley kits as nothing ever aligned correctly out of the box. Big gaps at every body panel, doors not aligning, body mounts didn't line up....just garbage, yet so many wanted one back then.

The Manx kits were a joy to build and who would have ever imagined that they would cost so much today. We used to get the fiberglass bodies at a small shop that now builds mostly high end Cobra kits in the middle of a cornfield. Being such a light body, those buggies were very quick and agile. I would love one today as well.

Barbeque John

Tele-Meister
Singer sm1500 roadster, not an ideal car in the winter in Minnesota. I loved it though, hung an aftermarket heater from Monkey Wards in the passenger foot well an survived a couple of winters with it. Picture not mine. Same color, though. Fold down windshield was great in the summer.

Attachments

• sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 13