Coolest Car You Ever Owned?

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Thought of this because of a question on the “Interview The Person Below You” thread…posted it as an individual thread on another website, but thought it would be interesting here as well.

What is the coolest car you’ve ever owned?

What’s the coolest car you’ve ever driven (but not owned)?

The coolest car I ever owned was my first car—a 1964 2-door hardtop Ford Falcon Futura, painted Fiesta Red by a previous owner.

It originally had a 200 straight-six engine, but I pulled that and crammed in a 302 pulled from a ‘77 Mercury (bored 30 over, slapped on some 351W heads, a Carter AFB Carburetor, Edelman Torquer II intake and some Herman Hedders)…scared all the Camaros in town until somebody popped the hood and realized I had “upgraded”…

1895553B-A262-4023-B261-1A6B82D0F09D.jpeg

38634CF6-E4EF-493A-A748-9416692B728E.jpeg

The coolest car I’ve ever driven is a toss-up between:
(1) a mid-1950’s Porshe a man in my hometown had restored…he was a customer at the old oil and lube I worked at when I was in college, and when he came in to have his Porshe inspected, he asked, “Is that your old Ford out there?” When I said yes, he said, “Take this baby around the block…the way you take care of that thing, it’s obvious you appreciate old cars…”

Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of it (camera phones weren’t in existence in 1989, and I didn’t carry a camera around)…but it was a really cool little red coupe, similar in style to the “Little Bastard” that James Dean was driving when he was killed (yes, I’m aware his was silver, but the me one I drove was red). I didn’t drive it fast (it wasn’t my car and I had a passing resemblance to James Dean in those days—I like irony, but not that much!)…but it was a cool little spin around the block.

-or-

(2) a 1956 Ford Fairlane my father restored right after he retired…it’s an upgraded re-creation of the first “good” car of his youth. He said he spent my inheritance on it, but I don’t care…if it makes him happy, that’s ok.

76C88E25-F1FD-4225-8945-AF4D9BF61405.jpeg

630813E3-70C1-4FCA-8630-4730803A3937.jpeg

92B89EA7-22F7-40A3-BBD5-350A1D9CD5AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
A 2010 Honda Accord. Great acceleration, great gas mileage, good-sized gas tank. I thought it also had a comfortable ride, but my wife disagreed, as she likes to sit up high.

This doesn't count, but when I was in the third grade our family car was a 1957 Chevy. It was our first 4-door car (the little brother was old enough to not fall out of the car) and it had fins! It was certainly a cool car.

When we went somewhere, my two brothers and I would yell "I got the end!" meaning we were calling dibs on sitting by the door instead of the middle. When I was in the 6th grade, my dad traded it in (1960 Ford Galaxy).

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I got to sit in a brand new Acura NSX a year or two ago…that was neat, haha.

Coolest car I’ve driven, probably my brother-in-law’s Audi convertible, I wanna say it was an S5 or something.

Coolest car I’ve owned…probably either my mom’s fancy (for the time) boat of a Buick Riviera she gave me, or a Subaru Impreza hatch that was just a blast to drive. At totally different ends of the spectrum and cool for totally different reasons!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
2 back to back.

'67 Chevelle. Lipstick red with red interior. 2 door. Buckets. Console auto. Duals. 300 horse 327. Absolutely no rust. Hole size of a baseball in both mufflers. Sounded like WWIII when started. At the time, it was just another old used car.
1654022589601.png

'66 Olds Starfire. Delta 88 body with 2 big doors. Lipstick red. 425 Super Rocket with 10:1 compression. Duals. Factory buckets and tach. Posi. 2 4bbls. Got rubber off the line, going into 2nd, and going into 3rd with a console automatic. Trunk you could put a dead basketball team in. Bought for $500 in the Thrifty Nickel. Named it "Lurch." Would love to find another one ...
1654022507017.png

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
i had a badass early 80s chevy impala. It was gold and had a busted out radiator grille, a cracked windshield and only one wiper worked.
man that car was awesome.

I scavenged the emblem, lichen and all, so it's spirit lives on
1654022773742.png

1654022803514.png

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Never had the $$ to buy anything but used family cars/minivans.

BUT our first car ( 1980) was definitely our coolest- a 1970 Ford Torino SW, we got for $450 in 1980! It only had 80K miles on it, a 351 Cleveland engine, and was almost a muscle car, disguised as a wagon.
This is not ours, but similar:

Attachments

• 20200512_214805.jpg
    20200512_214805.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 35

KC

Friend of Leo's
drove a '69 Pontiac LeMans for three years until the plastic teeth on the timing gear gave up in the middle of Texas. I loved that car. Drove my son home from the hospital in that thing, dad-baby-mom across the front seat with room to spare. Killer AC and eye-opening acceleration if you were willing to spend that kind of money on gas. If you punched the accelerator you could hear a sound like a toilet flushing from under the hood.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The coolest car I've owned was the '84 VW Golf that I dubbed "The Goldfish." I was in college and had been reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and fell in love with the idea of the "The Great Red Shark." It only took a moment to look at my car to realize that it needed a more diminutive name.

I bought The Goldfish for $1000, drove it about 25,000 miles in a couple of years of college road trips and sold it for $500, having put very little maintenance into it. It had no AC and a tape was stuck in the stereo, so I almost always carried my boom box for music on those trips. Always got me home faithfully, even when I crashed it by driving too fast on an icy highway. I installed a CB radio and tied the whip antenna down like I'd seen people do on their Jeeps. It was still seen around town for a few years, its dented fender and missing rear bumper cover (from that crash) giving it away.

Sadly, no pictures exist of the car.

draggindakota

Tele-Meister
Coolest car I ever owned was my 93 Dakota. Air suspension, shaved handles, ghost flames...still have it on jack stands in the garage but it's half way stripped down :rolleyes:.

MVC-031S.JPG
MVC-035S.JPG MVC-036S_LI.jpg

Coolest car I've ever driven would probably be a '66 Impala lowrider with hydraulics, candy paint, custom interior. That thing was nice. Runner up would be a '94 Fleetwood Brougham lowrider, also with hydros. Basically a stock caddy but man that thing looked good on 3 wheels lol. Both were car club buddies.