Coolers. Pelican vs. Yeti

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ieatlions, Sep 27, 2020.

1. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Anyone had experience with these brands?

Which would you recommend of the two, or are there other brands to consider?

Asking, as the ones here in the U.K. all seem to be generic Chinese rubbish!

2. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

ieatlions likes this.
  3. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 TDPRI Member

I know I’m not answering the question, but I’ve had a couple of Coleman’s, one which I replaced the hinges on, for 20+ years. They were cheap, I generally don’t need to keep things cool longer than 24-48 hours, and it is doubtful that someone will nick one from my campsite.

Nothing against those who want a higher end model. I just never saw the need.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I think yeti coolers are nice, I don’t know about spending 3 hundred dollars or more on one

You would have to use it A Lot

electrichead, ieatlions and blowtorch like this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The guy who fixed my Sovereign's headstock snap has a Yeti.

Hella strong - nearly perfect

Everest, a house brand for Home Depot, sent me their knockoff (tribute?) model for testing/review purposes. Almost Yeti. Also: Hella Large

I don't know the other brand, but can recommend the Yeti without reservation. If you wanna spend about half that, Everest may fit your bill.

Peace - Deeve

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    ieatlions likes this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been looking for those hinges, because, truth be told, I use the Coleman beater much more often, as the Everest is large enough for a side of Beef!
    :eek:

7. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 TDPRI Member

See here. There are also stainless one if you want to pay more.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007L0FH0/?tag=tdpri-20

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just go with whatever's at goodwill for five bucks. Take it home and clean it up and you're all good

you dont need some fancy schmancy nancyboy cooler :cool:

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a couple of Cronco's from the 50's. My parents got them.. in the 50's

We have some other coolers that were bought here and there, but the croncos, well, they will be here for my grandkids. When I look on ebay, you can get them for 20.00 us.

ieatlions and Fretting out like this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Occasionally we have a need for coolers when the power goes out, sometimes for months at a time. A good ice chest is a necessary item for us when this happens

Personally, I like Yeti or RTIC. Yes they are pricey but if you need to keep a bag of ice for a week or more it’s a no freaking big deal

I have a wheeled Coleman for regular beach trips and save the fantastic ice chests for a serious need

Heck a Playmate can work for a six pack and some ice for an afternoon

ieatlions likes this.
  11. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Get a sheet of 1" or 1.5" XPS and make a box. Tape together with tyvek tape except for the top so you can open it up and put stuff into it. Stick the XPS box in a tub. If you're fancy, shoot Great Stuff into the gaps. If you're SUPER FANCY drill a drain hole and put in a PVC drain.

If you want for toughness, get a tough tub to stick the XPS box in :)

I saw one of those super-cooler brands claiming they had a certified "bear proof" cooler. I don't know if that was koala bears or panda bears or what, but I've seen bears tear their way into a steel dumpster so I have to recommend grains of salt on some of the claims...

blowtorch likes this.
  12. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

I have a few Yetis. Overpriced, bulky, and too heavy. They don’t hold ice much better than cheaper chests if at all. I often skip the Yeti when camping because it’s too heavy for the wife to carry with me. I can see using a Yeti if you keep it in a boat as a permanent fixture like many people do.

Look at Engel. I prefer it to Yeti. Lighter, cheaper.

capt pearl and ieatlions like this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

YETI (2).jpg

jannodude and ieatlions like this.
  14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

15. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

If you only need to hold ice for a day or maybe two, then any cooler will do. If you need 2 or more days in hot weather, then the high end options come into play.

ieatlions likes this.
  16. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I’ve got a couple of the Yeti knockoffs they sell at Walmart. I’m usually a guy who just buys the real thing, but I’ve beat the heck out of one of these, carrying it around in my work truck, and it’s held up very well.

ieatlions likes this.
  17. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

My wife bought me a nice RTIC last Christmas. Haven’t had a chance to use it, but it seems nice.

ieatlions likes this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I won an RTIC at a giveaway recently...if you “prime” it before use, the ice will last five days in direct Texas summer heat (I tested it).

“Priming” it consists of putting ice in the cooler and letting it sit for about 12 hours, then draining the water, filling it up with drinks/food and topping off the ice.

Five days later, 75% of the ice was still there, the drinks and food were still cold, and the little bit of water was achingly frigid; this was sitting in the cab of a pickup without a windshield shade in 100F weather...

I tested it with the tiny crushed iced like you get at Sonic or Chicken Express (Texans will understand)—I don’t know what cubes would do.

Either way, I got a $150 cooler for free. I’m happy.

sean79 and ieatlions like this.
  19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I consider them diminishing returns as you spend products. In some realms I pay a premium and some not.

You can still get decent "marine" coolers that were the old measure of good ones for a fraction of the price.

ieatlions likes this.
  20. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Pelican hands down if you want most bang for your buck and you really need to keep ice. I had both, my stolen Pelican was cut off my truck in hotel parking lot in Carlsbad, NM., hands down IMHOP the best ice chest made. The Yeti, the frigging handles are for ****e and sometimes the suction requires a pry bar to open. I work on the pipeline, the constant exposure to all the elements, Yeti can't hang. Look up Cold Bastard on Ebay, a copy of the Yeti but I ordered that after Pelican Quit making the 45 QT. It has faded but still keeps everything cold.

ieatlions likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.