1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cool things you've done with your Vox Mini5/DA5.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mistermullens, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

The more I use this little amp, them more useful I find it to be! What a great amp! Sounds great, portable, does a lot of things, battery powered, can run guitar, acoustic, mic, and keyboard through it and it always sounds great. Running vocals through it isn't it's strongest attribute, but they're not horrible.

So, I haven't seen a lot of mods or special uses for these little guys and I'm wondering what you guys have done or are thinking about doing?

For example. I haven't done this yet, but I purchased a small pipe flange, can't remember the size, to install on the bottom of my Mini5. That way, I could attach it directly to a mic stand just by screwing it in. It would be up off the ground, easier to make adjustments, and provide more volume due to not being on the floor. Here's the part.

[​IMG]

I haven't found the external speaker out jack mod, but I'd like to do that. If anyone has instructions, I'd appreciate it.

I've also thought about replacing the handle's "strap buttons" with strap locks and using an old belt or guitar strap to carry the amp on my shoulder.

You guys got any ideas?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

The DA5 is a great amp for what it is. I take mine to my lessons, and my instructor and I both plug in and run on batteries. We meet in a room at his church, so there's no other way to amplify.
    I like the idea to put straplocks on; that would make it an ideal amp for busking.

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I installed a proper strap handle and a external speaker out jack on my Da5 . the internal speaker circuit breaks when an external is plugged in. see pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mistermullens

I've been using mine for band rehearsals. We don't have a loud drummer, and according to the rest of the guys, they can hear my Mini5 just fine during rehearsal. Nice tone. I stay on the AC15 setting mostly with some reverb. I play slide as well, and I can get some really nice slide goodness out of the amp.

I know there are more goodies being done...let's hear them!

5. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Cool stuff going on here. . .some day I'd like to put a Red Fang Ten in mine but right now I don't have the moolah. That should add enough volume for just about anything. I think I saw an example of a DA5 with a ten inch speaker so it seems possible.

6. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

I put an 8 inch Vox Pathfinder speaker my DA5. Volume was less and the tone was not as good as the stock speaker. I put the stock speaker back in. I also painted the grill on the black model black(it was chrome). Then I bought another DA5! If you like the Mini3 you will love the DA5. Oh I almost forgot. My black one was an early model and did not have as much internal bracing inside the cab. Low notes would sometimes cause a rattle so I added some bracing, works properly now.

Attached Files:

7. mistermullens

bump, ya'll!

8. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

oops. . .ten inch speakers won't fit! hehehe. . .

9. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I did this speaker out thing too, and plugged it into a 4x12..... you wouldn't believe how good this little amp sounds thru a proper cab....

Like, seriously good enough to be a backup amp for gigs (providing the speaker load you plug into it is 8 or 16 ohms, because anything lower will hurt the DA5.)

10. SaltyStrings

SaltyStrings Tele-Meister

I need to plumb mine as a cab, as it makes my killer ant into a killer half-stack.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.