Cool Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rich H, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

No, you were Mr.Henry! Anyone who checked your personal profile could find out - I know I did! I see that the link to your website is removed now, but it was there for everyone to see. I guess you put it up there yourself ... ?

My thoughts were exactly the same as nosuch's, but I didn't have the guts to say it :oops: ... And I have definitely no hidden agenda ;).

It's easy for a 'hypocrite' to get that impression, but I really hope that it isn't so :oops: ...

2. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Are you calling me a hypocrite?

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

:lol: No, I was called a hypocrite in a former thread about fake Fender logos. I'm on your side! :cool:

4. Lathem

Lathem Tele-Meister

Laws obviously differ by locale, but in the U.S. this wouldn't go to court unless you tried to tried to sell it as a genuine Picasso.

5. Hafner

Hafner RIP

Same for me. I do not want to get fooled.

6. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Aha.

On a more abstract level I wonder why all this faking is so attractive to a lot of people. Must be part of the philosophy of our time with all that revival things going on.
    there certainly is a market for "replicas" as there is for "vintage" clothing and "traditional" furniture. and that's OK.
    But I have the impression that the line between real and fake is increasingly blurred. People confuse it. like with the relic thing, people want to fake they are road wise musicians, while in reality they are lawyers or dentists and take good care not to get a "non-custom-shop-scratch" into their relic nocaster. pretending to be cool, relaxed and careless (I don't care bout the ole guitar, just put it in the corner when i go for a beer, look how worn it looks), while they are actually not at all (I heard a story about a customer returning a custom shop relic to the store because it would have a scratch on it he detected as not beeing from the custom shop).

It's all so pseudo!

7. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

It's the chinese democracy, we decide what's "legit", cause exclamations are now legit. (oh my word)
    But seriously, this board isn't running short of options on the market, so "unconscious" free-ad activists ahold!

8. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

9. Hafner

Hafner RIP

Do not confound "vintage things", "very old things" with "fake", "duplicates".
    Fakes and Replicas and Relicers should be prohibited, just forbidden. They want to fool other people.

10. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

well, I do not want to hijack this into another pro and cons of relicing, replicas etc.. i am interested in the sociologal and psychological implications of this trend. so my question is not if, but why.
    why are you attracted to guitars which look like they've seen it all while they are actually brand new?
    why would you buy a guitar with a fake brand logo, serial number and pencil markings?
    I know that will be taken as an insult by some, but honestly isn't intended as such.
    I want to understand.

11. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Ok, then. Shall we move on? Good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.