Cool ol´Gerry

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Racing, Nov 29, 2012.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Awesome.

2. waster

waster Tele-Holic

This rocks, keep it coming

3. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

I´ll be happy to.:D

Since last i´ve solved yet a few issues with this,from the onset,very abused old Klemt.

[​IMG]

As i had bias voltage basicaly all over the place it was in essence just high time to replace the trimpots. So...that done....
    ...and that Twin T ordeal sorted out...
    I still had "crackling" within the sound as i really flogged it. Turned out that one of the old OEM Siemens powertubes had flashing going on within on hard transients.
    Ontop of that...the amp showed a tendency of "wet blanket" as far as sound,and that too could be attributed to the old Siemens.

Had a pair of basicaly NOS Tfk:s laying around...so installed them instead,and FOR a difference!

Since...i´ve had the correct Phier 1MA pot delivered that i replace the tremspeed pot with for a mastervolume control up front.
    I´ve looked into the grounding a bit...and indeed the amp has become even more silent in idle.

Next up will be replacing that god awful green filter for the lights with a more correct amber shade...

http://www.backfromthesixties.co.uk/Pages/Klemt_Echolette_Showstar_S40.aspx

`N there´s even more to be read,and looked at,right there...;)

4. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

About done with the last one but the Hulk green colour filter has GOT to go. It looks like a friggin abomination.

5. Brd400

Brd400 TDPRI Member

wow I check that back from the sixties website out. cool stuff thanks for sharing it. sure wish we had some of those 80 Eight's over here. you got us. drooling!!!

6. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

For even more Klemt Echolette stuff...

[​IMG]

Ran across this really cool old tube tapeecho. This then being the Echolette S NG-51. It was i dire need of some attention,and i have since basicaly replaced every cap in there. When i replaced the two main "twin" cans voltage at tube one jumped from ~70VDC to 175+!
    Then...them old german caps..they leaked like crazy..saw as much as 80VDC on one of the pots.

Right now...it´s standing still tho as i´ve had to order som fresh tapes from germany and a fresh pinch roller. The latter is out of rubber..and the 50+yr old rubber had deteriorated far enough for it to become an issue.
    Have gotten the unit to work though,and work rather well at that...

Overhauling one of these puppies tho takes a bit of work. Don´t be fooled,this is NOT for the novice tube 101 boys. Unit is completely point to point and built in all three dimensions at that..there´s friggin components everywhere!

When done tho...they truly sound marvelous.

As you can gather from the pic i´ve modified it thus that i replaced the old DIN jacks with more contemporary teles.

7. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Racing, I'm so glad to find you here. A while back I saw an amp on Google that had your sticker on it. That amp was a Dynacord. Well I dragged one home recently...

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/363338-amp-poop.html

I want to completely bypass the reverb circuit as I'm afraid it's not serviceable. Could you give me some advice?

[​IMG]

DW

8. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

Of course,but are you absolutely certain the reverb unit isn´t serviceable?
    My point being that the reverb of them Hall-Jazz amps is nothing short of amazing.

If you want to bypass it none the less just look the schematic for a regular Jazz up. The Hall-Jazz,as you´ve probably already noticed,is nothing but a Jazz with a piggyback installed extra PCB for the reverb really.

If the tank and the trafo specs ok tho i would most certainly make that happen. Again,the reverb of those-being a spring unit,is one of the better sounding ones i´ve ever run into.

You are however correct that i´ve modified a Hall-Jazz for more..."contemporary" use previously.
    As far as the amp per se...look the concertina PI up. Cut the track leading for the grid and solder e 470k to 680k resistor as a gridstopper. The replace the cathode resistor of it with a 3.3k for starters.
    Them two minor mods will take the "spike"out of a concertina.

If memory doesn´t fail me i´ve got a crapload of pics of the one i did still around. Open up a post on that amp of yours and we´ll take it from there. I´d be happy to help out best i can.

Edit;
    Yikes!! Just checked the link out!

9. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soundchecked n ready to do battle...showtime in approx 4hrs+.

Since last i "kind a" slipped with the soldering pen on that old Dynacord Rex too...why it sounds more Marshall JCM800 with a more pronounced midfocus than anything else these days.

The Klemt in turn is Klemt "No2",which i have modded further for even more gain.
    The 212 cab in turn has had one of its fantastic OEM AlNiCo Isophon speakers replaced with a Cannabis Rex and the mix of the remaining Iso and the CR makes for...rocknroll...:D

On tonights menue,amongst others,is our heavy metal version of Fortunate son...

10. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

For my latest craze then. A "little brother" Klemt in as much as a B30.
    Pulled a quick resto and then modded the livin crap out of it. See...this is a transistor hybrid OEM..and i don´t care all that much for transistors in guitar amps :D

[​IMG]

Amp dates back to 1965. At that time the magnoval EL504s were the latest thing. I´ve worked with these previously in various italian tubeamps,and they are F A N T A S T I C powertubes. Loud as hell! Setup right a pair of these will deliver an EASY 80w.
    Not so in this Klemt tho...but that´s another story.

[​IMG]

I´ve touched on that i think the boys of Klemt were designfrigginmasters. Yep. 1965. Entire chassis,again,out of lowgrade stainless...and at that the sub assy carried in a just as stainless subframe..and the entire thing comes out of there by gettin a pair of screws out..and desoldering the wiring of the trafos.

[​IMG]

Weeeeeeeeeeeell...what can i say? :lol:
    At some previous point the one of the magnovals had had an accident and the burns that came from that...was remedied by Mr Handyman by simply adding S-loads of solder. That soot indeed is conductive wasn´t given any notice at all.
    So out the three OEM sockets came..and the entire thing was cleaned up. The PI socket was replaced with a fresh one.

[​IMG]

So? Modified. Modified? Yeah. Apart from the install of a tube in place of the OEM transistor jobbie i opted to run "newer Orange AD" style. Ie;a rather coarse sounding distortion setup with a mere two gainstages and the whole thing controlled by a PPIMV master.

[​IMG]

Sure enough the amp was up and running as full tuber in a matter of hours. Still a few points to straighten out,but as a general whole i´m a happy camper.

The thing with these old amps is that apart from being perversly well designed they are LIGHT and COMPACT.
    About the size of an Egnater Tweaker approx...just with more power ontap.

I´ll shoot a couple of pics of the complete amp come tomorrow.

11. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Let me put it this way...it SURE doesn´t sound as mundane as it looks anymore! This is a downright roaring bluesrock heaven Klemt since today.

[​IMG]

Light,compact..about the size of an Egnater Tweaker...and dirt cheap to keep alive as EL504s can be had NOS via ebay for about nothing and change.
    Further it is now loud enough to run with the bigboys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.