Cool little Vox

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ADinNYC, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

2. andy__woods

andy__woods Tele-Afflicted

I love the Valvetronix series. My first amp was the older version, the AD15VT. Similar size, but less volume! Very versatile, great sounding little amps

3. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

After being very underwhelmed by the VT20X after trying one out, I am VERY anxious to give this one (to be unveiled at NAMM) a go:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AV30Combo

[​IMG]

ANALOG modeler!!!!!

30W Tube Combo w/ Eight Analog Amp Circuits

Throw out what you know about modeling amps! The 30-watt Vox Analog Valve combo delivers real tube grit and dynamic response from twin 12AX7s in the preamp and power amp stages. Choose from eight all-analog preamp circuits based on classic amps from Vox and others for tones that range from clean chime to high-gain crunch; then blend in analog-styled delay, chorus, or reverb to taste. A Valve Stage section lets users adjust tube bias on the fly to capture the perfect stage of tube breakup for each song. A sealed cab with a custom 10" Vox speaker provides powerful bass response, making the Vox AV30 not just a travel-friendly practice companion, but also a good-sounding, vintage-looking combo for the stage and studio.

Full Vox, less box

The Vox Analog Valve series packs decades of classic amp tones into a practice-friendly, stage-ready combo. Eight amp models with convincing onboard FX give the AV30 a full complement of clean, dirty, crunchy, and overdriven tones. Bright and Fat switches provide some instant oomph or sheen to help your parts cut through a mix. Sweetwater guitarists applaud Vox for packing the AV30 combo with tube characteristics and a user-friendly layout.

Vox AV30 Tube Modeling Amp Features:

Two sets of eight all-analog amp circuits
    12AX7s in the preamp and power amp stages deliver real tube tone and response
    Adjustable bias lets you dial in tube breakup
    Onboard reverb, delay, and chorus
    30W provides enough power to fill most clubs
    Custom 10" Vox speaker in a sealed cabinet for extended bass response
    Great for the practice room, stage, and studio
    Bright and Fat switches for expanded tonal options
    Get a decade of tones in a single amp with the Vox AV30 Tube Modeling Amp!

4. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

^^^ There are also 15-watt (1x8) and 60-watt (1x12) versions, of which the 60-watt has an effects loop and standard AC connector.

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I'm interested in the new AV series, but I'll really want to hear one first just to see how this compares to Valvetronix, etc. I believe the AV30 also has an FX loop, which is appealing to me since I want an app that has one and none of mine do!

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/507...CWTx2bADrKnJACDFmBbPvBmybzy2JN5UbiBoCaBzw_wcB

The aesthetics of the AV15/30/60 are unique, but I kind of dig it. Vox has gone to this one-piece construction approach for many of their new combos, as they feel like it reduces rattling. It should be noted that this thing is about 26 pounds and looks about the size of my AC10C1. So that's not "large" for an amp of this power/speaker class, but also not particularly compact.

The analog modeling is where this gets interesting. I'm a little skeptical because it looks like they've done the thing that Valvetronix did where they throw tubes in there (and display them with a blue glow through the control panel) for a placebo effect, when really they're being used as a phase inverters. Maybe for some other effect, too, but this is not a "tube amp". Analog modeling, for some people, is suddenly more desirable than digital, but the SansAmp has been out for almost 30 years - this isn't a "new" thing.

I owned 3 Valvetronix amps, and ironically, I thought the Vox-based models on them were terrible (AC15 and AC30). There were a few other models based on a Fender and a Marshall Plexi, and I basically left it on those full time and used pedals. I think the Fender SCX2 is a superior "hybrid" amp, and I moved on to two other Vox products: the (discontinued) Pathfinder 15 and new AC10C1. So while this is cool, and I totally want to play one, Vox now have 3 competing lines of affordable modelers (!), and I don't know if I have a need for this.

6. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Really, really dig the retro design of the cabinet. Same with the grill cloth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.